Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota/Subaru/Scion Lightweight Sports Car: Toyota GT86, Subaru BRZ, Scion FRS!

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-12, 04:13 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Subaru developing engine for BRZ Turbo

Subaru developing engine for BRZ Turbo

Based on how many turbocharged boxer engines Subaru currently uses in its cars, solid news of a force-fed BRZ was only a matter of time. So it comes as little surprise that Automotive News is reporting that Subaru is currently developing a turbocharged version of the 2.0-liter engine currently found under the hood of the much-loved but somewhat underpowered 2013 BRZ.

AN's unnamed sources indicate that this engine will use a twin-scroll turbocharger and a new direct-injection system that will help give the engine an estimated 280 horsepower and torque that could be in excess of 250 pound-feet... still being sent to the rear wheels. The turbo'd BRZ will reportedly be making its debut for the 2014 model year, but it isn't clear if Subaru will simply call the car a BRZ Turbo or if it will finally deliver the BRZ STI that many enthusiasts have been clamoring for since the BRZ STI Concept hit the scene in 2011.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/10/22/s...for-brz-turbo/
Old 10-22-12, 06:58 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411

Based on how many turbocharged boxer engines Subaru currently uses in its cars, solid news of a force-fed BRZ was only a matter of time. So it comes as little surprise that Automotive News is reporting that Subaru is currently developing a turbocharged version of the 2.0-liter engine currently found under the hood of the much-loved but somewhat underpowered 2013 BRZ.

AN's unnamed sources indicate that this engine will use a twin-scroll turbocharger and a new direct-injection system that will help give the engine an estimated 280 horsepower and torque that could be in excess of 250 pound-feet... still being sent to the rear wheels. The turbo'd BRZ will reportedly be making its debut for the 2014 model year, but it isn't clear if Subaru will simply call the car a BRZ Turbo or if it will finally deliver the BRZ STI that many enthusiasts have been clamoring for since the BRZ STI Concept hit the scene in 2011.

Thats what I'm talkin about!!!
Old 10-22-12, 08:00 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411

Isnt the new Forester (out in Japan) using new 2.0T already? I am assuming it is the same block as BRZ engine.
Old 10-22-12, 09:15 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Is this car as much fun as a miata?
Old 10-23-12, 04:38 AM
Damaster32
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Selling my 2010 IS250 for a new FR-S. Do you guys thing I'm making a mistake?? I just want something new and more sporty. All of my past cars have been 4 door sedans. Just sucks to lose all the lux features.
Old 10-23-12, 04:39 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Damaster32
Selling my 2010 IS250 for a new FR-S. Do you guys thing I'm making a mistake?? I just want something new and more sporty. All of my past cars have been 4 door sedans. Just sucks to lose all the lux features.
did you drive it? If so and you liked it then....
Old 10-23-12, 07:04 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Damaster32
The only potential mistake (assuming you don't need 4 doors) I could potentially see would be not waiting for the BRZ turbo....

They are cool little cars for sure, fit and finish not the same as a Lexus, no doubt, but they should be pretty reliable and a lot of fun to drive... Will definitely be faster than your 250, but if you could wait for the turbo version with 280 HP, that thing will be very fast stock....
Old 10-23-12, 08:25 AM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

I guess I will get the turbo version, when my lease is up.
Old 10-23-12, 09:00 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

GT86 fails moose test? recall?
Old 10-23-12, 09:55 AM
tzu911
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Turbo, or non turbo, this is the perfect car for anyway who wants something a bit more sporty. It's so light and fun to toss the car around. We've logged over 1000 miles on ours and it's been a face stretcher.
Old 10-25-12, 05:09 PM
metalgear
Lexus Champion

Saw this today, Subaru is gonna make an STI version of the BRZ? Yes please!
Link Here

Subaru BRZ Concept STI

A final preview of the upcoming rear-drive sports car.

NOVEMBER 2011 BY ALEXANDER STOKLOSA MULTIPLE PHOTOGRAPHERS

One might think of the upcoming 2012 Subaru BRZ as a steak thrown at the feet of a hungry dog, one whose leash is just short enough to keep it from savoring the goods. Previous sightings include two chassis studies by Subaru, three concepts from coconspirator Toyota, and piles of spy photos. Heck, we’ve already driven a prototype—and it was fantastic. But that car was still camo’d, so this BRZ STI concept—headed to the L.A. auto show later this month—is the first time we’ve seen the Subaru version in bare sheetmetal.

Predictable Looks

That’s not to say this is the final sheetmetal: Subaru and Toyota have an agreement not to show any actual bodywork until the finished cars are shown later this month in Tokyo. But the underlying car mostly fits what we expect to see; while the STI treatment is certainly new, leaked images out of Japan earlier this month revealed the production version of the Toyota FT-86. The Toyota will share everything but its fascias with the Subaru, so this concept’s general shapes aren’t going to change very much. (The Toyota will be sold here as the Scion FR-S.)

If an STI version of the BRZ is produced—and this concept looks like a good sign—this show car indicates that it should look the part. There’s a big wing bolted to the rear deck, and an aggressive rear diffuser and quad exhaust outlets. The STI concept’s roof panel is carbon fiber, and the car’s muscular, pumped-out fender flares are as awesome as the BMW 1-series M’s. The front end is dominated by a gaping, hexagonal grille opening and a pair of squinty headlights. Even with the addenda, the STI concept’s styling appears clean, attractive, and not overly fussy.

Three Letters, No Turbo

The concept also shaves weight (from a nonexistent car; guess we’ll have to take Subie’s word for it), and adds an STI-tuned suspension, Brembo brakes, and its own 18-inch wheels. There’s no turbo mentioned here, but that’s hardly a shock, as it would be tacit admission that such a car is on the way and potentially harm initial sales of the basic model. That said, we expect a halo STI model to feature forced induction for its 2.0-liter boxer four. We already know that any BRZ—STI or otherwise—will be rear-wheel drive, and that there will be no AWD option. Beyond displacement and its fuel-delivery system—direct injection, in case you need a reminder—the only other powerplant detail Subaru reveals here is that the engine will be square, with its bore and stroke both measuring 86 mm.

So we’ll still have to wait a little while to dig into that juicy steak, but this STI concept is a tasty appetizer—we just wish it arrived with more details on its menu.

Old 10-26-12, 06:45 AM
1JZsoarer
Driver

I can't believe you're posting an article from 2011.

I'll believe a turbo version when it actually hits the dealerships. Subaru has been talking about the Tribeca replacements or its deletion from the line-up since as far as 2010. They talked about using the Highlander platform starting from 2011. And where is it ? Nowhere to be found like many Subaru supposedly incoming products.
Old 10-26-12, 08:39 AM
metalgear
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1JZsoarer
I can't believe you're posting an article from 2011.

I'll believe a turbo version when it actually hits the dealerships. Subaru has been talking about the Tribeca replacements or its deletion from the line-up since as far as 2010. They talked about using the Highlander platform starting from 2011. And where is it ? Nowhere to be found like many Subaru supposedly incoming products.
Whoops, sorry for the repost. Guess I'm a little late on this lol Mods just delete my previous post on this thread.
Old 10-26-12, 08:42 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Just a few SEMA FRS models.

Old 10-26-12, 09:16 AM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A turbo BRZ is only hopes put out by the press...execs has said that there will be NO turbo BRZ as it will sacrifice WRX STi sales. As far as the new motor, it's been developed for the Legacy and I beleive the WRX, as to distinguish the engine options from the normal WRX to the WRX STi

The BRZ STi is happening soon, 2014 most likely...will have hp bumped to around 250hp (speculation) but will be full N/A, and your normal STI add ons. Interior differecnes, suspension options, wheels, brakes and aero.

the yellow FRS above is perfectly modded to me...simple (lightweigh looking) wheels and minimal aero, just lose the graphics

Quick Reply: Toyota/Subaru/Scion Lightweight Sports Car: Toyota GT86, Subaru BRZ, Scion FRS!