Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota/Subaru/Scion Lightweight Sports Car: Toyota GT86, Subaru BRZ, Scion FRS!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-09, 10:41 AM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

The greenhouse reminds me of the Maserati Gran Turismo.

I like this car, but the Boxer engine is a complete dealbreaker for me.

I wonder if I can stuff an IS-F engine & trans in it?
Old 10-10-09, 10:53 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4
The greenhouse reminds me of the Maserati Gran Turismo.

I like this car, but the Boxer engine is a complete dealbreaker for me.

I wonder if I can stuff an IS-F engine & trans in it?
Why so much hate for the boxer engine?
Old 10-10-09, 11:08 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

yeah right.

lexus will never make a true GS or IS coupe.

they are more practical than that.
Old 10-10-09, 11:21 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
Where have you heard that the GS coupe is coming ? or even that there will DEFINITELY(100%) be an IS coupe for the next generation ?
I am not 100% sure but there have been many reports in automotive publications, including some of the more credible, which indicate an IS coupe, not convertible, is planned for the 3rd generation. A coupe was planned for this generation but there were development delays, either due economy or other issues.

No publication I have seen has ever mentioned the possibility of a GS coupe.

Looking at the dimension specs for the FT-86, it is substantially shorter and narrower than the 1SC and 2SC, which again makes me think this is not relevant for an SC successor...but a small RWD coupe could be a Lexus GT350 etc.
Old 10-10-09, 11:47 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by encore888
a small RWD coupe could be a Lexus GT350 etc.
They could even make that a two-seater coupe for me (some space for storage instead of useless rear seats)

If Lexus are to introduce either a new IS coupe (2-door, 4-seater), or a new smaller 2-seater sports coupe, but not both, I would rather have the 2-seater sports coupe.
Old 10-10-09, 11:59 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
They could even make that a two-seater coupe for me (some space for storage instead of useless rear seats)

If Lexus are to introduce either a new IS coupe (2-door, 4-seater), or a new smaller 2-seater sports coupe, but not both, I would rather have the 2-seater sports coupe.
I thought the 4-seat config helped with insurance costs? (Ah oh well SLK owners don't care either )

Anyhow, any FT-86 based model is pure speculation on my part. So far, the more credible reports have been on a coupe and convertible IS model for the 3rd gen.
Old 10-10-09, 12:34 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by encore888
I thought the 4-seat config helped with insurance costs? (Ah oh well SLK owners don't care either )
Neither do 350Z owners.

Actually, they can make it a Lexus version of the 350Z, 2-seater with comparable size/weight/performance, but not necessarily more luxury options to make it heavier. Just use much higher grade materials, rich looking leather, high grade plastics and aluminium/metal trims, better fit and finish inside and out ...
Old 10-10-09, 12:54 PM
LexFather

This being an all new platform we have no idea if they made it flexible for other vehicles. It would only make sense financially but seeing the engineers comment about sharing platforms, I kind of doubt it.

Its going to have to take a total re-think in how the cars drive.

Old 10-10-09, 02:41 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Just noticed some thing **really** important.

If you look at the GT5 video, you will see a quick glimpse of the engine. I had noticed it before, but it didn't really click. It says D-4S!!!! Toyota has 3 types of direct injection, D4D, D4 and D4S. NONE of Toyota's 4cyl in the American market have D4 injection, much less D4S. D4S (D4 Superior) is only found on the 2GR-FSE (IS350 V6) and the 1/2UR-FSE(IS-F, LS460). Two injectors per cylinder, one port, one direct. About 11~13% more hp and torque. Better FE.

I think we can assume that Toyota is working hard on this one

Old 10-10-09, 04:28 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dunnojack
yeah right.

lexus will never make a true GS or IS coupe.

they are more practical than that.
They are too practical to even make an exotic supercar ... NOT.

With the LF A coming to production, it now proves that *anything* can happen in the future for Lexus models.

Originally Posted by MR_F1
Just noticed some thing **really** important.

If you look at the GT5 video, you will see a quick glimpse of the engine. I had noticed it before, but it didn't really click. It says D-4S!!!! Toyota has 3 types of direct injection, D4D, D4 and D4S. NONE of Toyota's 4cyl in the American market have D4 injection, much less D4S. D4S (D4 Superior) is only found on the 2GR-FSE (IS350 V6) and the 1/2UR-FSE(IS-F, LS460). Two injectors per cylinder, one port, one direct. About 11~13% more hp and torque. Better FE.

I think we can assume that Toyota is working hard on this one

It was spotted a while ago . Thus the discussion about the engine having direct injection.
Old 10-10-09, 05:38 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
They are too practical to even make an exotic supercar ... NOT.

With the LF A coming to production, it now proves that *anything* can happen in the future for Lexus models.

It was spotted a while ago . Thus the discussion about the engine having direct injection.
We already knew it was having direct injection. What **TYPE** is a different story, and phenomenal, seeing that Toyota does not even have D-4S on any of its in house 4 cylinders, and no Direct injection at all on american market 4 cylinders. D-4S is the IS350's port/direct injection system.
Old 10-10-09, 05:43 PM
*wishlist*
Driver

This concept looks great and gives some hope designs of the future. I think they should revive an old name, Toyota Levin.
Old 10-10-09, 11:33 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MR_F1
We already knew it was having direct injection. What **TYPE** is a different story, and phenomenal, seeing that Toyota does not even have D-4S on any of its in house 4 cylinders, and no Direct injection at all on american market 4 cylinders. D-4S is the IS350's port/direct injection system.
This is true, this is going to be the first "Toyota" (reworked Subaru) 4 cylinder engine to use D4-S. This is a good sign that other future Toyota engines will get the system, and also related to this is that we might see either Valvematic or Dual VVT-iE added to future Lexus engines to differentiate them from Toyota engines.

I wonder what (new) technological tricks the LF A V10 will be using?
Old 10-10-09, 11:38 PM
Christian8
Pole Position

I, for one, am very happy that they are using the boxer engine than any other engine. It's a co-developed engine. Good design, lightweight, proven. I don't understand why it's a dealbreaker for some people. I guess they forgot that Toyota had a boxer engine before...This is nothing new for them...
Old 10-11-09, 12:04 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Yes, it is quite funny how many Toyota fans don't know Toyota engine history fully.

The fact is, Toyota produced their own boxer engine in the 1960s, the U series engine.

Quick Reply: Toyota/Subaru/Scion Lightweight Sports Car: Toyota GT86, Subaru BRZ, Scion FRS!