Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota/Subaru/Scion Lightweight Sports Car: Toyota GT86, Subaru BRZ, Scion FRS!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-10, 09:55 AM
djyoshi626
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MR_F1
The AE86 was a chassis id not a model. They aren't gonna call it a corolla either. That'd be just retarded.

I hope for a real name though, enough with the Alpha-numeric naming schemes.

Haha, I'm pretty sure it'll only be called FT-86 in Japan or elsewhere, here in the states... it'll probably be the new tC or something.
Old 03-04-10, 10:27 AM
jruhi4
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MR_F1
I think a lot of the drivetrain components will come from the Toyota parts bin (Transmission [Aisin], drive shaft, diff), so it might be harder to integrate with the Subaru bits.
Very true. I've also seen reports about FT-86 using an Aisin transmission.
Old 03-04-10, 10:55 AM
LexFather

Also FT-86 has an all new platform....not shared with any current vehicles. That takes longer to produce.

I'd rather wait and have them get it completely right then rush and get it completely wrong like the CR-Z thing.

Old 03-04-10, 11:15 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It will not be the new tC (tC replacement actually). Scions have a high-value low-cost business model, where they make most of the money off financing and accessories installed. All of their current offerings are under $20k standard.

Toyota went out of their way to keep it a Toyota branded vehicle. They want to market it as a Toyota so that they can have something sporting with in the Toyota brand.

Last edited by Koma; 03-04-10 at 11:21 AM.
Old 03-04-10, 11:53 AM
jruhi4
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Koma
It will not be the new tC (tC replacement actually). Scions have a high-value low-cost business model, where they make most of the money off financing and accessories installed. All of their current offerings are under $20k standard.

Toyota went out of their way to keep it a Toyota branded vehicle. They want to market it as a Toyota so that they can have something sporting with in the Toyota brand.
Correct. The tC replacement may debut as soon as next month at the New York Auto Show, certainly no later than the Los Angeles Auto Show late this year. That's well ahead of FT-86's 2012 debut.
Old 03-04-10, 12:36 PM
xioix
Racer

Originally Posted by marshmallo
The final car NEVER EVER looks like the concept

I refuse to get my hopes up after getting fooled so many times.
FJ Cruiser besides the interior looked pretty much like the concept, it even kept the 3 wiper blades
Old 03-05-10, 09:42 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Cool pic...this car should come out ASAP!

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/03/05/t...style-welcome/
Old 03-26-10, 05:39 PM
LexFather

There is a GREAT article about this car in this month's EVO. Chris Harris (the same guy that drove the LFA) reviews the original and they talk about the new one.

Old 03-27-10, 07:42 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

I hope they're listening. The Subaru sports coupe had better be AWD or I won't buy either car.
Old 04-21-10, 07:20 AM
LexFather

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsAr...llCars/248971/

Ballooning development costs will result in a more expensive Toyota FT-86 when it arrives late next year, according to an insider close to Toyota.

When the concept was unveiled at last year’s Tokyo motor show, a Toyota engineer said that the company was aiming for an entry-level price in Japan of around £13,000.

See pictures of the Toyota FT-86

But the R&D team is now more focused on minimising fuel consumption and producing the cleanest engine possible;
the Subaru boxer engine planned for the car is not considered to be that clean or fuel-efficient. That could force the Japanese price up to around £15,000, with the range-topper costing £17,000.

The hike in the cost moves the FT-86 further away from the original concept of a cheap, entry-level sports car and will no doubt be a disappointment to the people within Toyota who fought hard to get the project approved by bosses.

The car is also likely to be marketed to older buyers than originally planned, too. The head of Toyota’s newly created sports vehicle department, Tetsuya Tada, told Autocar that his team had increased the target age group by 10 years, from the 30s to 40s, after market research revealed that fewer younger buyers would opt for the sleek coupé than first thought.

Old 04-21-10, 09:37 AM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If true, I'm going to predict a failure.

Mid-40 year olds are going to go German or Mustang/Camaro/Charger rather than a small, slow, I-look-like-a-sports-car-but-I'm-not coupe.

Doesn't Toyota have enough small, fuel efficient, (& hybrid) cars?

Let's hope VW stays on track with their cheap roadster (and famously tune-able turbo engines).
Old 04-21-10, 10:30 AM
Mister Two
Lead Lap

Gaa... very disappointing news.
Old 04-21-10, 12:46 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The cost structures in Europe vs. the US are different, however although I'm not too familiar with the past pricing, the question on whether this will be more Celica expensive vs. MR-2 expensive vs. Supra expensive is interesting.
Old 04-21-10, 01:38 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Thought that it'd start around 23k. C'mon did anybody really expect something like this for $20k or under? At least now they better give it 200hp minimum.
Old 04-21-10, 04:57 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

People jumping to conclusions yet again.

Increased fuel economy and cleaner engine does mean reduced performance.

Toyota is not stupid. They will not overprice the production FT-86.

The Genesis Coupe starts at 22K, has a cheap interior, and the 4 cyl Genesis doesn't exactly offer tremendous performance.

Let's wait for final pricing and the production version of the FT-86 before jumping to conclusions.

Quick Reply: Toyota/Subaru/Scion Lightweight Sports Car: Toyota GT86, Subaru BRZ, Scion FRS!