Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota/Subaru/Scion Lightweight Sports Car: Toyota GT86, Subaru BRZ, Scion FRS!

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-11, 05:53 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Beautiful
Old 01-03-11, 05:59 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I think they might have to. You can get a 300hp Mustang V-6 or Camaro for 23k.
Heavier vehicles.

My buddy commented to me last night that he was dissapointed that the WRX only puts down 265 HP. However, Subaru is good at making use of HP. Thus, the WRX can hit 60 MPH in 5 seconds.
Old 01-03-11, 09:03 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Heavier vehicles.

My buddy commented to me last night that he was dissapointed that the WRX only puts down 265 HP. However, Subaru is good at making use of HP. Thus, the WRX can hit 60 MPH in 5 seconds.
A bicycle can hit 60 in 5 seconds these days.

Anyhow, I have deposit for this FT-86 already. Where is the damn car?!
Old 01-03-11, 10:54 PM
CTB727
Rookie

I really hope this is true. In that case I will definitely save up for this car when it comes out
Old 01-03-11, 11:00 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Ryan, that heritage pic is amazing. great history right there!
Old 01-04-11, 12:52 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
As far as I hear, that's exactly what is happening
Excellent . If true, this could very well be my next vehicle purchase.
Old 01-04-11, 08:31 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I somehow doubt Toyota/Subaru would just drop the engine they were already working on to use the STI engine.

The rumors have been going for some time that it would be a n/a or turbo 2.0 flat four. The current USDM STI engine is 2.5L. If anything they're leaving the STI engine as a top level option.

I've been reading about the newest STI engine's ringland failures. I'm not sure how often they're occurring but it seems to be a real issue that Subaru of America is sometimes denying warranty work for. Maybe some of these guys are driving their cars harder than they're intended to but if Toyota/Subaru decides to use the STI's engine without modifying it for more strength I'll surely be upset. I want this car badly but I don't want ringland failures within the first 15k miles. Also, I hope they plan on direct injecting the STI engine as rumors have been going that D4S will be in the engine.
Old 01-04-11, 02:01 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Koma
I somehow doubt Toyota/Subaru would just drop the engine they were already working on to use the STI engine.

The rumors have been going for some time that it would be a n/a or turbo 2.0 flat four. The current USDM STI engine is 2.5L. If anything they're leaving the STI engine as a top level option.

I've been reading about the newest STI engine's ringland failures. I'm not sure how often they're occurring but it seems to be a real issue that Subaru of America is sometimes denying warranty work for. Maybe some of these guys are driving their cars harder than they're intended to but if Toyota/Subaru decides to use the STI's engine without modifying it for more strength I'll surely be upset. I want this car badly but I don't want ringland failures within the first 15k miles. Also, I hope they plan on direct injecting the STI engine as rumors have been going that D4S will be in the engine.
Assuming they are actually using the STi engine, I'm sure Toyota would do some work on it in terms of reliability and strengthening, not to mention likely add direct injection for fuel economy benefits.
Old 01-04-11, 02:40 PM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Assuming they are actually using the STi engine, I'm sure Toyota would do some work on it in terms of reliability and strengthening, not to mention likely add direct injection for fuel economy benefits.
I sure hope so, I want this car so bad.
Old 01-04-11, 03:01 PM
bigbwb
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
I sure hope direct injection makes its way across more Toyota (any for that matter) engines in the very near future. Heck Ford, Chevy, Hyundai etc all have it already. I really was hoping it would have made it on my 2010 4runner for mileage and performance benefits They seem a bit behind the trend in terms of engine technology at the moment. Sorry for the off topic post, but I am looking forward to the new Toyota/subaru sports car.
Old 01-04-11, 03:37 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

this is sounding better and better.
Old 01-04-11, 03:52 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Does motortrend ever get anything right? Not a chance in hell.
Old 01-04-11, 05:44 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by MR_F1
Does motortrend ever get anything right? Not a chance in hell.
They actually did when they were still a Petersen Automotive publication. Ever since Primedia took over...it's been downhill.
Old 01-04-11, 06:45 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bigbwb
I sure hope direct injection makes its way across more Toyota (any for that matter) engines in the very near future. Heck Ford, Chevy, Hyundai etc all have it already.
While I would love to see a direct injected 2.5L H4 from Subaru, would prefer to see the return of the 2.2L. It was an incredibly, infallible engine. Direct injected and modernized for today it would be perfect to promote efficiency in the Subaru lineup. ...here's to hoping that this coupe is indeed lightweight.
Old 01-04-11, 06:57 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bigbwb
I sure hope direct injection makes its way across more Toyota (any for that matter) engines in the very near future. Heck Ford, Chevy, Hyundai etc all have it already. I really was hoping it would have made it on my 2010 4runner for mileage and performance benefits They seem a bit behind the trend in terms of engine technology at the moment. Sorry for the off topic post, but I am looking forward to the new Toyota/subaru sports car.
Toyota is only "behind" in the US. Toyota has had direct injection since 1998 in Japan, and they've had direct injection on Lexus models here in the US since 2005.

With that said, Toyota has confirmed we will see direct injection, turbos, and advances in variable valve timing on future models.

Quick Reply: Toyota/Subaru/Scion Lightweight Sports Car: Toyota GT86, Subaru BRZ, Scion FRS!