Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota/Subaru/Scion Lightweight Sports Car: Toyota GT86, Subaru BRZ, Scion FRS!

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-11, 08:17 AM
venom21
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TF109B
This is just a RUMOR. Not reality, whether they name it a scion or toyota has yet to be seen. And wow, what kinda story telling is this when we just had the FT086 teaser #2 with... you guessed it, a TOYOTA badge on the hood!
Yeah, but the IQ was badged a toyota when debuted, sold as a toyota in all other markets and now is a Scion in N.A.
Old 02-13-11, 02:59 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by venom21
Yeah, but the IQ was badged a toyota when debuted, sold as a toyota in all other markets and now is a Scion in N.A.
it is same car, what does it matter? i dont get it.

I think FT seems like a lot better match for Scion in the USA:
- lot of factory options
- no haggle pricing
- younger audience

Keep in mind that cars like FT are money losers, Toyota is using it to lure younger audience to Toyota brand. As such, young average age, modding and no haggle pricing really makes it no brainer for Scion badge in the USA.
Old 02-13-11, 05:09 PM
Initial B
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if it's released as a Scion, then it makes the need for a Toyota sportscar even more desperate. I'm losing interest in this 'Scion' with a potentially cheap interior (if the latest tC is any measure) and am hoping to see replacements for the Supra and MR2
Old 02-13-11, 05:17 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jadu
Ill be the first to REbadge it Toyota!
I'll be the first to remove all the badges.
Old 02-13-11, 11:53 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

I'll be shocked if this is a Scion in North America. People who are complaining about all the rumors, it's not Toyota's fault. Complain about the media and internet rumor-mongers, not about Toyota.

Be patient and give Toyota time to do the car right.
Old 02-14-11, 06:52 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hate to reiterate myself but the point always gets brought up again.

Enthusiasts will not be concerned what the badge is. The vehicle was not developed around the badge.

Pros for Scion:
-No haggle pricing means they can't sell over MSRP (that's GOOD for the buyer, for a car that WILL be in demand when it comes out).
-Tons of accessories and parts options
-Same Toyota dealership experience

Cons:
-Possible cheapened marque. Who cares though, are you really that concerned that other people see you driving a Scion? Get over it.

Scion is the sporty and younger brand of Toyota. FT86 is sporty and probably targeted towards the younger crowd because the younger crowd generally cares more about sports oriented anyway. So I can see why the Scion brand makes more sense. These are all rumors anyway, the FT86 has been rumored to be starting at 20-25k. The new tC is extremely close to that price range, if they want to mass market a sports car they're not going to give it cheaper competition. Sure the cars are completely different but the mass market doesn't care (or know) about FWD versus RWD or H4 versus I4 or weight.

In the end the badge doesn't really matter.
Old 02-14-11, 08:11 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I don't really care what badge will be on the car, but I do know many people who do care, and they are enthusiasts too. Many of them want to buy a car that's associated with the company that (use to) make sports cars. When you think of Toyota sports cars, you think of the MR2 Turbo, Supra, and the Celica GTS to an extent. When you think of Scion, you think of riced out tC with blinding aftermarket HID. They just don't want to be associated with that group. I don't believe in that kind of stuff because I buy based on the car's merit, but there is no doubt there are many out there who do care.
Old 02-14-11, 08:47 AM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Koma
I hate to reiterate myself but the point always gets brought up again.

Enthusiasts will not be concerned what the badge is. The vehicle was not developed around the badge.

Pros for Scion:
-No haggle pricing means they can't sell over MSRP (that's GOOD for the buyer, for a car that WILL be in demand when it comes out).
-Tons of accessories and parts options
-Same Toyota dealership experience

Cons:
-Possible cheapened marque. Who cares though, are you really that concerned that other people see you driving a Scion? Get over it.

Scion is the sporty and younger brand of Toyota. FT86 is sporty and probably targeted towards the younger crowd because the younger crowd generally cares more about sports oriented anyway. So I can see why the Scion brand makes more sense. These are all rumors anyway, the FT86 has been rumored to be starting at 20-25k. The new tC is extremely close to that price range, if they want to mass market a sports car they're not going to give it cheaper competition. Sure the cars are completely different but the mass market doesn't care (or know) about FWD versus RWD or H4 versus I4 or weight.

In the end the badge doesn't really matter.

definitely this.

if it’s a Scion or Toyota, it doesn’t mean much to me...so long as it’s a well thought out and consumer appreciated vehicle, it will do it’s intended damage to the market.

all this uproar about the name-plate only reminds me of how the Genesis Coupe was thought to be an initial disaster because it wore a Hyundai badge. it’s been pretty successful IMO, and after it’s refresh and engine upgrade later this year…it will still be climbing the charts in sales.

cant wait until it’s finally released…the battle between the Genesis Coupe and this FT-S should be interesting!
Old 02-14-11, 09:59 AM
LexFather

I dunno Koma, badges drive sales. I think people much rather it be a Toyota than a Scion. Toyota has the Supra, MR2, Celica All track, original FT-86 etc to relate too.

Scion has nothing, the tC?

It being a Toyota appeal to me. It being a Scion makes me scratch my head.

Baddie, the Gen coupe has been a sales flop. The Camaro/Mustang/Challenger dominate in the 20-50k coupe class. I love the Gen coupe and hope they continue to invest in it but this is a tough market to crack, the Americans really dominate here.

If it is a Scion maybe this is a true strategy change.

Old 02-14-11, 10:22 AM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I dunno Koma, badges drive sales. I think people much rather it be a Toyota than a Scion. Toyota has the Supra, MR2, Celica All track, original FT-86 etc to relate too.

Scion has nothing, the tC?

It being a Toyota appeal to me. It being a Scion makes me scratch my head.

Baddie, the Gen coupe has been a sales flop. The Camaro/Mustang/Challenger dominate in the 20-50k coupe class. I love the Gen coupe and hope they continue to invest in it but this is a tough market to crack, the Americans really dominate here.

If it is a Scion maybe this is a true strategy change.

definitely understand brand loyalty and heritage associated with it…but every brand has to start somewhere, and the FT-S may just be the vehicle to help Scion increase their appeal to the masses. it fits the brands niche, so it’s not far-fetched to say it can’t be branded a Scion and be a hit at the same time.

as for the Gen Coupe…it may not have made the sales numbers Hyundai expected it to, but it surely did shed some needed light on the brand. that’s worth gold right now to them as they are trying to rebuild their foundation for the future. and the plans they have coming with their 2012 models only further appeal to the masses in terms of becoming more sporty.

in the end, 2 great entry level sport coupes from the asian market…can’t go wrong with either choices
Old 02-14-11, 11:36 AM
Koma

I don't mean to say that people won't judge the car by the brand but they shouldn't.

Badges do sell.

I'm just trying to reason with the enthusiasts on this site crying foul play just because a car got a bad badge job.

I personally think it should be a Toyota but I'm not going to not buy the car based on the brand. I don't want to be grouped with a vast majority of buyers of the Scion brand (I own a tC and I definitely don't like what most owners do to their cars) but I'm proud of what I do to my car and to me that's all that matters. If someone else decides to destroy their FT-86 with bad choices in mods, I'm not going to think "Oh god, people will think my car looks like that." I know I'll cleanly modify my car and any person that I care to have a car chat about will say "Wow that's one clean (Scion) FT-86."
Old 02-14-11, 11:58 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

but Scion is Toyota!
Old 02-14-11, 12:22 PM
xioix
Racer

Im not sure why some are getting in an uproar over it being a Toyota or a Scion, as if the badge meant anything.

If so then the Lexus badge wouldn't be enough for the LFA, yet many here thinks its fine.

So the Scion badge having this new sports car is fine.
Old 02-14-11, 12:45 PM
Koma

Originally Posted by xioix
Im not sure why some are getting in an uproar over it being a Toyota or a Scion, as if the badge meant anything.

If so then the Lexus badge wouldn't be enough for the LFA, yet many here thinks its fine.

So the Scion badge having this new sports car is fine.
To be fair people are arguing it should be sold under Toyota (an existing marque) instead of something that would have to be made up specifically for a car (uber-marque LFA). Although I hadn't heard of anyone saying the LFA should've been in a more exclusive marque.

I think it's partly because the way Scions are sold (at list price, no haggle) and that they don't carry the cache of a Toyota (tuner crowd or selling price points?) Some people won't purchase a Honda S2000 just because it's a Honda and Honda sells the Civic, which quite often gets abused when it comes to modifying. I really think everyone should be quite proud of their own vehicle and not care what other people are doing or saying but that's just my opinion, not everyone shares it.

I think there's more evidence it won't be a Scion then there's evidence for that it will be a Scion. Scion hasn't broken the $20k base barrier (close with the new tC but not yet). The FT86 has been said to cost anywhere from 20k-25k base. Scion already has the tC (although FWD) many people will still cross shop FWD, RWD and AWD coupes (the FWD Tiburon essentially was replaced by the RWD Genesis), and because of the fairly close price points people will cross shop the tC to the FT86. You wouldn't want to be stepping on each others toes within the same brand, much like why you don't see the Scirocco in the states because it's cheaper but much like the GTI two door. FT86 has more in common with Toyota based on heritage built into the naming and the marketing then with Scion. If you're going to try to market the drifting heritage of the AE86 you might as well use the same brand that sold the AE86. All the concepts have been Toyota models. Toyota has no coupes at all right now.

Originally Posted by spwolf
but Scion is Toyota!
Even more importantly Scions are sold IN the Toyota dealership. To my knowledge there are no Scion dealerships that are in their own dealership space.
Old 02-14-11, 12:48 PM
xioix
Racer

Originally Posted by Koma
To be fair people are arguing it should be sold under Toyota (an existing marque) instead of something that would have to be made up specifically for a car (uber-marque LFA). Although I hadn't heard of anyone saying the LFA should've been in a more exclusive marque.

I think it's partly because the way Scions are sold (at list price, no haggle) and that they don't carry the cache of a Toyota (tuner crowd or selling price points?) Some people won't purchase a Honda S2000 just because it's a Honda and Honda sells the Civic, which quite often gets abused when it comes to modifying. I really think everyone should be quite proud of their own vehicle and not care what other people are doing or saying but that's just my opinion, not everyone shares it.

I think there's more evidence it won't be a Scion then there's evidence for that it will be a Scion. Scion hasn't broken the $20k base barrier (close with the new tC but not yet). The FT86 has been said to cost anywhere from 20k-25k base. Scion already has the tC (although FWD) many people will still cross shop FWD, RWD and AWD coupes (the FWD Tiburon essentially was replaced by the RWD Genesis), and because of the fairly close price points people will cross shop the tC to the FT86. You wouldn't want to be stepping on each others toes within the same brand, much like why you don't see the Scirocco in the states because it's cheaper but much like the GTI two door. FT86 has more in common with Toyota based on heritage built into the naming and the marketing then with Scion. If you're going to try to market the drifting heritage of the AE86 you might as well use the same brand that sold the AE86. All the concepts have been Toyota models. Toyota has no coupes at all right now.

Even more importantly Scions are sold IN the Toyota dealership. To my knowledge there are no Scion dealerships that are in their own dealership space.
Toyota has been sponsoring Formula D with the Scion tC, so going with the drift scene, they might just make the transition from tC to the whatever Scion calls it

Quick Reply: Toyota/Subaru/Scion Lightweight Sports Car: Toyota GT86, Subaru BRZ, Scion FRS!