Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota/Subaru/Scion Lightweight Sports Car: Toyota GT86, Subaru BRZ, Scion FRS!

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-11, 12:14 AM
revel
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by knihc2008
Was it really necessary to make the styling changes they did? The FT-86 concept was sublime. Perfect. Is that super tacky vent necessary? And the huge front wheel arches? Why did they have to change the side surfacing? The original side surfacing was far cleaner and it just looked sportier. And the rear... Well I like the new rear as much as the old rear so I can't really say much there. And the front, despite being way longer (I recognize the need for that) looks better too, imo. The car doesn't look bad, but it doesnt' look as good as the original, and for no real good reason either. The new side makes the greenhouse look dumpy and not as modern as the first concept. So much potential...

But if I could change just one thing... please please please get rid of that awful vent, Toyota. This car looks pretty much production ready but, hell, SO DID THE FIRST CONCEPT
agreed. original concept was simple, clean, and made your adrenaline boil. why they felt the need to throw parts at it randomly, ugh, really hope they simplify the new concept..... a lot. still want one tho.
Old 03-01-11, 12:18 AM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is meant for the younger crowd, not 40 and 50 year olds. The first concept IMO was kinda bland. Not much going on, the lines were good, but the same lines are on this car. Look at the rest of the pictures, I think it's great.
Old 03-01-11, 12:18 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I'm not too particularly fond of this view:

It doesn't really look coherent to me. The front end is mostly edgy but the rest are curvy. It's not bad, but please Toyota do something about the rear end before you put it into production!

Damn it why can't car companies just give us the concept version that looks good and call it a day?
Old 03-01-11, 12:21 AM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TF109B
Looks good. Like the little body kit on it. Not too much, the tail lights look like the headlights! That's a neat little touch. Liking the fact they're clear as well. The wheels are definite keepers also. The vent is the new thing. I don't see what the complaints about it are. The wheel arches look fine too. I think you need to look at the other photos too. It looks good to me.
The chrome vent, plus the (IMO) ghastly wheels, flashy body kit and Altezza tails make this car look like something thrown together from a JC Whitney catalog. Added to the mix is a new droopy character line dragging the greenhouse down and a frankly Toyota-standard, noncommittal shoulder arch over the rear wheel. Somewhere underneath all these cues is a gorgeous car; the original FT-86. I get the body kit and wheels are there to make the car showy but I really don't understand why they had to change anything else.

Originally Posted by revel
agreed. original concept was simple, clean, and made your adrenaline boil. why they felt the need to throw parts at it randomly, ugh, really hope they simplify the new concept..... a lot. still want one tho.
My thoughts exactly. Simple clean and sporty lines. Modern and tidy.
Old 03-01-11, 12:22 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

My first impression was G37 IPL/Genesis meets Cayman with some Japanese aftermarket styling enhancements, to put it nicely. It is incredibly aggressive (it seriously caught me by surprise, but its growing on me) and I can totally understand why some may not like it. IMO, I think Toyota needs to have this level of design aggressiveness for the FT-86 (even if its an option package similar to F-sport). They have been bland for far to long.

FWIW, I find the FT-86 G-sport to be the most attractive out of the three.

Last edited by GFerg; 03-01-11 at 12:31 AM.
Old 03-01-11, 12:22 AM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yo, it's a CONCEPT. Probably showing off some optional parts for the thing. I don't really think you'll be seeing those exhausts and rear 'diffuser' on the car.
Old 03-01-11, 12:25 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Yo, I know it's a concept! Hence the "do something about the rear end before you put it into production!"
Old 03-01-11, 12:27 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

*sigh*... i hope its not all rounded like that~ its ugly
Old 03-01-11, 12:33 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Maybe they can offer the original concept as a base model and add on all these tacky body kits as an optional deluxe ricer upgrade package
Old 03-01-11, 12:45 AM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Looks very good. I wish the production version is very close to this one. Just price it reasonably and competitively.
Old 03-01-11, 12:54 AM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GFerg
FWIW, I find the FT-86 G-sport to be the most attractive out of the three.
Agreed. It struck a nice balance between the production ready almost-elegance of the original FT-86 concept and the brashness, flashiness (not sure if I should call it sportiness...) of this FT-86 II Concept. It had a purposeful and sporty bodykit and was based on the simple clean lines of the original concept. And it had some gorgeous wheels to boot.

Sigh!
Old 03-01-11, 01:03 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I like this a little better than version 1.

too bad they got rid of the black A-pillar.

only things i don't like are the bump above the wheel arch, and how (from the front 1/4 angle) the rear slopes down like there's no ***.

I like the taillights on this better. more evil looking.
Attached Thumbnails Toyota/Subaru/Scion Lightweight Sports Car: Toyota GT86, Subaru BRZ, Scion FRS!-toyota-ft-86_ii_concept_2011_1600x1200_wallpaper_01.jpg   Toyota/Subaru/Scion Lightweight Sports Car: Toyota GT86, Subaru BRZ, Scion FRS!-toyota-ft-86_ii_concept_2011_1600x1200_wallpaper_02.jpg   Toyota/Subaru/Scion Lightweight Sports Car: Toyota GT86, Subaru BRZ, Scion FRS!-toyota-ft-86_ii_concept_2011_1600x1200_wallpaper_03.jpg  

Last edited by dunnojack; 03-01-11 at 01:09 AM.
Old 03-01-11, 01:06 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Looks pretty good overall. A few things I hate about it just like the original FT-86 concept, but overall looks GREAT.

Not jumping to any conclusions as this is still a concept. Also it seems nobody else mentioned that this is following the LFA in terms of concept "pattern". The original LFA concept was very clean, sleek, and simple. The LFA II concept was more round, wavy, and a lot more curvy. The production LFA is a mixture of styling from both concepts. FT-86 concept is clean, sleek, simple. FT-86 II concept is more round, wavy, more curvy and has some more complexities especially at the front and rear. FT-86 production version I expect will have styling from both concepts.

Originally Posted by knihc2008
Was it really necessary to make the styling changes they did? The FT-86 concept was sublime. Perfect. Is that super tacky vent necessary? And the huge front wheel arches? Why did they have to change the side surfacing? The original side surfacing was far cleaner and it just looked sportier. And the rear... Well I like the new rear as much as the old rear so I can't really say much there. And the front, despite being way longer (I recognize the need for that) looks better too, imo. The car doesn't look bad, but it doesnt' look as good as the original, and for no real good reason either. The new side makes the greenhouse look dumpy and not as modern as the first concept. So much potential...

But if I could change just one thing... please please please get rid of that awful vent, Toyota. This car looks pretty much production ready but, hell, SO DID THE FIRST CONCEPT
It's still a concept. Take off the tacky pieces, and you have a very good-looking car.

I admit the side character lines could be a bit more aggressive, and in some ways I do prefer the "leaner" look the original concept has.

I think the production model will have a mixture of styling from both concepts.

It's quite obvious Toyota is still trying to mask the look of the final production version. This already looks better than just about any other affordable coupe on the market including the Genesis coupe and G37 coupe.
Old 03-01-11, 01:26 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 155 Likes on 115 Posts

I eat Germans for breakfast.
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=983

Once again, Mr. Toyoda, who ever did FT-S concept design needs to be put in charge of creating brand look for Toyota and Lexus. FT-S II improves on already amazing design. Now give us turbo version and dont talk crap about how "pure" normally aspirated engine is...

Last edited by spwolf; 03-01-11 at 01:30 AM.
Old 03-01-11, 01:35 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I wish the side character line were continuous from the vent to the back, sorta like the FT86/1
instead of 2 broken lines.... I think that would make the car look beefier.

other than that, this is one mean looking car I'd buy.

Attached Thumbnails Toyota/Subaru/Scion Lightweight Sports Car: Toyota GT86, Subaru BRZ, Scion FRS!-toyota-ft-86_ii_concept_2011_1600x1200_wallpaper_02.jpg  

Last edited by dunnojack; 03-01-11 at 02:08 AM.

Quick Reply: Toyota/Subaru/Scion Lightweight Sports Car: Toyota GT86, Subaru BRZ, Scion FRS!