Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota/Subaru/Scion Lightweight Sports Car: Toyota GT86, Subaru BRZ, Scion FRS!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-11, 10:16 PM
Kostamojen
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That angle makes the car look fantastic.
Old 04-25-11, 11:59 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

yes, 5 axis built this concept.

sorry to **** on your dreams, but the FR-S is gonna look so cheap when it comes out...........

So, taking into account how they said the concept tail lights won't make it to production,
i'd imagine, bam! pissed on it..........

Last edited by dunnojack; 04-26-11 at 12:44 AM.
Old 04-26-11, 01:13 AM
dj.ctwatt
Lead Lap

You forgot to Scion-ize it with a bastard flat roof and horribly executed "helmet visor" look. You should also give it the stupid Scion grill/front end so prevalent on the xD, xB (second gen), and the tC (second gen). All the Scion concepts looked great an turned out like garbage for production. The xA, xB, and original tC were great (all production before the US intro, except the tC). They looked great because they were relatively unmolested. I have very little faith in this car, and hope HOPE that my expectations are wrong.
Old 04-26-11, 03:43 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by dj.ctwatt
You forgot to Scion-ize it with a bastard flat roof and horribly executed "helmet visor" look. You should also give it the stupid Scion grill/front end so prevalent on the xD, xB (second gen), and the tC (second gen). All the Scion concepts looked great an turned out like garbage for production. The xA, xB, and original tC were great (all production before the US intro, except the tC). They looked great because they were relatively unmolested. I have very little faith in this car, and hope HOPE that my expectations are wrong.
sure, they will also add 1.5l engine to it too.
Old 04-26-11, 03:50 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dunnojack

sorry to **** on your dreams, but the FR-S is gonna look so cheap when it comes out...........

So, taking into account how they said the concept tail lights won't make it to production,

why would it have tC back lights exactly?

tC looks fine for 18k car... You cant be expecting it to look at 5axis concept for that price.

Production version will certainly not have diffuser, and front and back lights will be different... other than that? I dont know.

But it all depends on the price. You cant expect better Porsche than Porsche at 25k.

At 25k, there will certainly be disappointing things on it. But what SHOULD matter is that it is dedicated sports car that will handle really great.

If that happens, you can decide if you want or do not want to spend 5k on wide body kit to make it look like concept :-)
Old 04-26-11, 04:41 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
why would it have tC back lights exactly?
just pure speculation.

if not LFA tail lights, then what? I had to think of an ugly alternative which was consistent with the rest of the ugly scions.

my magic 8 ball tells me we won't get cool looking slender tail lights.

tC looks fine for 18k car... You cant be expecting it to look at 5axis concept for that price.
and my point for showing the 5axis tC is that a lot of stuff will be removed from the FRS concept. They're gonna bastardize it

Last edited by dunnojack; 04-26-11 at 04:46 AM.
Old 04-26-11, 05:38 AM
dj.ctwatt
Lead Lap

^ I dunno who that was directed to, but the first generation tC was a VERY handsome car that looked 2x it's price, inside and out. The new generation looks to be worth about half of its MSRP. IMO, it's really oddly designed with weird lines and angles, and an obese love handle laden rear end. The first generation tC is a good example of what happens when design and concept are beautifully rolled into production.
Old 04-26-11, 06:12 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

just pure speculation.

if not LFA tail lights, then what? I had to think of an ugly alternative which was consistent with the rest of the ugly scions.

my magic 8 ball tells me we won't get cool looking slender tail lights.

and my point for showing the 5axis tC is that a lot of stuff will be removed from the FRS concept. They're gonna bastardize it
well they can design slender tail lights, thats not cost issue... but it wont be crazy leds like on concept. I think front lights will differ a lot more than back.

I think only "issue" is if the fenders will be like on concept (bulging). I hope they do.

But for 25k, it is limiting in what they can do.
Old 04-26-11, 07:34 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

5 axis built... not designed or tuned. Jesus jack you are such a troll.
Old 04-26-11, 12:19 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MR_F1
5 axis built... not designed or tuned. Jesus jack you are such a troll.
thanks .

and yes, that's what i said.

Originally Posted by spwolf
well they can design slender tail lights, thats not cost issue....
i like the concept tail lights, and yeah, it shouldn't be a cost issue. but the Edmunds correspondent said Scion told them the tails will change.
i hope it looks good, and not like the abomination i chopped up

Last edited by dunnojack; 04-26-11 at 12:25 PM.
Old 04-26-11, 12:40 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Where did they say that the concept tail lights won't make it to production? I can't find the quote now, but I'm pretty sure it's the concept lights, which likely refers to the LED headlights, that they said won't make it to production.

Also, if the iQ is any indication, the Scion version of the FT-86 will NOT be getting dramatic styling changes just to be badged as a Scion. Remember that unlike the tC, the FT-86 is designed to be a Toyota first and then badged as a Scion, and is going to be sold as a Toyota everywhere else in the world. It will retain all the Toyota styling elements just like the iQ IMO.

Last edited by ydooby; 04-26-11 at 12:43 PM.
Old 04-26-11, 12:48 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ydooby
Where did they say that the concept tail lights won't make it to production?

check the first video below, towards the end of the video, where the dude is pointing-
http://www.insideline.com/scion/fr-s...s-concept.html

Also, if the iQ is any indication, the Scion version of the FT-86 will NOT be getting dramatic styling changes just to be badged as a Scion. .

scions are badged as toyotas elsewhere. so all styling is considered as toyota's anyway.
Old 04-26-11, 12:52 PM
baadhabit
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i guess the turbo motor idea is out booo

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
New York 2011: Scion FR-S Concept is "friggin' really sweet"

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog....1303324359.jpg

Another auto show, another version of Toyota and Subaru's joint partnership rear-wheel-drive sports car. We saw Toyota's FT-86 II concept in Geneva earlier this year, along with the chassis for Subaru's version of the car. Now here in New York, Scion has taken the wraps off of its FR-S, a sexy little number that rides on this same platform.

FR-S, which stands for "front-engine, rear-wheel-drive sport," (or "friggin' really sweet," according to Jack Hollis, Scion's vice president) is the automaker's homage to the infamous AE-86 Corolla – a car that was highly praised for its lightweight body and superb balance without having to churn out a ton of power. Under the hood is a naturally aspirated 2.0-liter Boxer flat-four mated to either a six-speed manual or automatic transmission. The FT-S rides on sharp 20-inch wheels, hiding an absolutely monstrous set of 18-inch carbon ceramic brake rotors that are fixed to the wheels like a motorcycle. Don't count on those making production...

Hollis says that the FR-S' design is inspired by the legendary Toyota 2000GT, and we can even see a bit of Lexus LF-A in the angular shapes that blend with sleek curves. This is one hot concept, and we're told that it previews a new addition to the Scion family coming in 2012. (Yeah, we know.)

Enough with the drooling. Just give us the production car.

Gallery:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/scion...-2011/#4074061

Scion Introduces FR-S Sports Coupe Concept at 2011 New York Auto Show

• Rear-wheel drive concept makes world debut
• Design focus of Pure Balance
• Boxer engine utilizes Toyota's D4-S direct and port injection system

April 20, 2011 - New York - Scion unveiled the rear-wheel drive FR-S Concept sports coupe to- day at the 2011 New York International Auto Show. The concept, which sets out to stimulate the souls of true driving enthusiasts, will be at the Scion display through May 1. The FR-S Concept will inspire a new model coming to the Scion brand next year.

The FR-S Concept, which stands for Front-engine, Rear-wheel drive, Sport; is Scion's defini- tion of an authentic rear-wheel-drive sports car with compelling style, exceptionally balanced perfor- mance and handling, flexible utility and surprising MPG.

"Scion is always experimenting with new things," said Jack Hollis, Scion vice president. "The brand is iconic with the xB, adrenalized by the tC, and groundbreaking with the iQ. The FR-S will expand the brand into yet another new dimension that I know it is truly destined for."

The FR-S is a true "scion," born into a lengthy history of Toyota performance cars and motor- sports. The sports coupe is most inspired by the AE86 generation of the Corolla, better known as the Hachi-Roku, meaning "8-6" in Japanese. The front-engine, rear-wheel drive coupe was lightweight and well balanced, making it a solid choice for driving enthusiasts.

Inspired by the AE86, the FR-S is built around the core goal of achieving "pure balance," which begins with the strategic placement of a flat 2.0-liter boxer engine in a front-engine, rear-wheel drive configuration. The engine's compact size and shape allows the FR-S' powertrain to be mounted lower and further back towards the rear, giving the car a lower center of gravity and a dynamically favorable front-to-rear weight ratio.

The FR-S' naturally-aspirated engine is innovative, being the first boxer to incorporate Toyota's D4-S injection system, which utilizes both direct and port injection, resulting in increased horsepower and torque throughout the entire powerband, without sacrificing MPG.

The flat-four can mate with either a six-speed manual or a six-speed automatic transmission. The manual offers quick and precise shifts with a short-throw, while the automatic transmission features aggressive, sporty shifts that are initiated by steering- wheel-mounted paddle shifters. Power is distributed effectively via a limited-slip differential.

The idea of "pure balance" is further realized by the FR-S' lightweight design and short wheelbase. The combination allows the car to be quick and nimble into and out of any corner, with dynamic maneuverability and confident stability.

"Akio Toyoda has mentioned that he is going to bring the fun-to-drive spirit back to Toyota," Hollis said. "I know that the Scion FR-S Concept is one of the ways that he plans to accomplish that." The fierce exterior of the FR-S is a good reflection of its inner power. The intimidating proportions of the concept give it a dominant stance that bleeds performance. The profile, inspired by the Toyota 2000GT, reveals a hood-line that is remarkably sleek and low, made possible by the boxer's architecture.

The low stance continues to exaggerate the FR-S' menacing face, which is made up of sharp lines, a wide mouth and angular headlights that include bright LED clusters.

The solid panel roofline is sleek, lightweight and rigid, slotted with an aerodynamic shape that channels air cleanly over to the top.

The front fenders protrude upward, making space for the massive monoblock Five Axis 20x8.5-inch wheels, while the muscular rear fenders are widened to house the 20x10.5-inch wheels, emphasizing the FR-S' staggered stance and rear-wheel-drive setup.

The rear fascia sits low and wide, with extensive lower treatments that surround the dual exhaust exits and contribute to excellent aerodynamics. LEDs illuminate both the edgy taillights and the bold "SCION" logo.

The concept features four-piston-caliper front brakes that clamp down on monstrous 18-inch annular carbon ceramic matrix rotors that are fixed to the wheels in a motorcycle-fashion. The FR-S Concept is layered in rich coats of Code Red, the appropriately named color that consists of a custom blend of candy and a developmental additive from BASF called Mearlite SSQ
http://www.autoblog.com/2011/04/20/n...-really-sweet/
Old 04-26-11, 02:51 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

check the first video below, towards the end of the video, where the dude is pointing-
http://www.insideline.com/scion/fr-s...s-concept.html
Thanks for the link. Like I remembered he said "lights" not "tail lights". Yeah he did point to the rear, but he could just mean to point at the car as a whole, since he was facing away from the car.
scions are badged as toyotas elsewhere. so all styling is considered as toyota's anyway.
Exactly why there's no need to swap the concept FR-S's rear to the tC's. The tC's rear is just one of Toyota's many rear-end stylings. Scion doesn't really have a definite set of "family traits" anyway (other than the squarish grille perhaps). If the Toyota iQ can be badged as a Scion iQ largely unmolested, I don't see why the Toyota FR-S will need to look like a tC when badged as a Scion.

Last edited by ydooby; 04-26-11 at 02:56 PM.
Old 04-26-11, 04:17 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Why would Toyota make the FR-S look similar to the tC, when it seems like they're going to coexist with one another when the time comes? Slapping a tC *** on the FR-S -- WTF! I don't see the point in making that 'chop. Anyways, that was a terribly "cheap" guess.

I present another guess by Japanese magazine Mag-x:

Quick Reply: Toyota/Subaru/Scion Lightweight Sports Car: Toyota GT86, Subaru BRZ, Scion FRS!