Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota/Subaru/Scion Lightweight Sports Car: Toyota GT86, Subaru BRZ, Scion FRS!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-11, 09:09 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

if that article is true, and they are basing the final production on the ft86ii, that's gonna be disappointing, esp after toning it down.

the proportions on the ft86ii are off. the rear fender doesn't look muscular.
Old 04-30-11, 09:13 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

anything will look better with a drop and a set of wheels. The price point and RWD platform will make it more attractive
Old 04-30-11, 09:26 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MR_F1
AFAIK, Scion = Toyota everywhere else in the world.
Toyota ist = xA
Toyota bB (gen 1)/Corolla Rumion (gen 2) = xB
Toyota Zelas = tC
Toyota ? = FR-S

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
True but I really think they need to sell a Toyota and Scion version here.
No, they just need to sell the Toyota version here and call it a Celica. Having the two exact same cars with two different badges and slightly different aesthetics within the Toyota family makes no sense. Heck, that may already be the case with the Subaru version.

Last edited by Motor; 04-30-11 at 09:41 PM.
Old 04-30-11, 11:12 PM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

i really hope Toyota brings that car here and name it Toyota not Scion. by naming it Scion, it just cheapening the car, imo. when you hear Scion, first thing comes up in my mind is front wheel drive high schooler's car with altezza tail lights and neon lighting. i'm sorry, but that's the image of any Scion cars imo. branding the FT-86 Toyota will attract more mature buyers, like me. it'll definitely stir up memory of the Supra and Toyota racing heritage of the 80s and early 90s. seriously if they come as Scion, i will go buy the Subaru variant, no question ask.
Old 05-01-11, 02:31 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by stlgrym3
seriously if they come as Scion, i will go buy the Subaru variant, no question ask.
what if the sube is ugly?
Old 05-01-11, 09:44 AM
stlgrym3
Racer

Originally Posted by dunnojack
what if the sube is ugly?
can't be that much different. if anything i'm predicting the Subaru version will be more aggressive looking. either way, i'm not driving a Scion doesn't matter what kind of car it is. to me at least, by branding it Scion, the car just lost some JDM uniqueness to it.
Old 05-01-11, 10:15 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by stlgrym3
can't be that much different. if anything i'm predicting the Subaru version will be more aggressive looking. either way, i'm not driving a Scion doesn't matter what kind of car it is. to me at least, by branding it Scion, the car just lost some JDM uniqueness to it.
werent most Scions actually JDM Toyota's, unlike other NA Toyotas that were mostly built for Western markets?
Old 05-01-11, 12:10 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
werent most Scions actually JDM Toyota's, unlike other NA Toyotas that were mostly built for Western markets?
Yeah the original Scions (xA and xB) were rebadged JDM Toyotas. Only the tC was later designed in the US to be a Scion (and then exported to some other markets).

I agree that some JDM feel is lost only because Scion is a US brand though.
Old 05-01-11, 12:20 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Motor
Toyota ist = xA
Toyota bB (gen 1)/Corolla Rumion (gen 2) = xB
Toyota Zelas = tC
Toyota ? = FR-S

No, they just need to sell the Toyota version here and call it a Celica. Having the two exact same cars with two different badges and slightly different aesthetics within the Toyota family makes no sense. Heck, that may already be the case with the Subaru version.
I have no problem with them whoring this car out....Suburu, Scion, Toyota hell I'd take a Lexus version....Nissan does it and it seems to work well for them..

Toyota can't complain that people think they are old and boring if they decide to sell a Scion version and no Toyota version. I would say most people don't even know Scion is a Toyota brand. Scion does need this car too, they are struggling but so does Toyota in AMERICA.

It would also help spread the costs around to have 3 or 4 versions.

As many here have mentioned SCION has an image problem, we see the comments here and I've seen it elsewhere. People would buy a Toyota version with no issue, a Scion does have an image problem where people might not buy it b/c of the badge.

Old 05-01-11, 02:50 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

if i buy a scion, i'm swapping the badges out to JDM.
Old 05-01-11, 04:25 PM
LexFather

if i buy a scion, i'm swapping the badges out to JDM.
Honestly I can see A LOT of people swapping badges out or debadging it. No disrespect to Scion owners but it is what it is.

Old 05-01-11, 05:38 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

if that article is true, and they are basing the final production on the ft86ii, that's gonna be disappointing, esp after toning it down.

the proportions on the ft86ii are off. the rear fender doesn't look muscular.
i think that info was based on European Toyota info which showed FTS-II, for them FR-S does not exist... so wouldnt take it too seriously.

I am surprised by negativity towards Scion by older buyers, but that is what it is I guess.
Old 05-01-11, 07:54 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spwolf

I am surprised by negativity towards Scion by older buyers, but that is what it is I guess.
Agreed (and I'm one of the oldest posting here on this particular thread) although not what I expected.
Old 05-01-11, 11:09 PM
Kostamojen
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Honestly I can see A LOT of people swapping badges out or debadging it. No disrespect to Scion owners but it is what it is.
If the Scion is cheaper than the Subaru, I'd buy the Scion and swap to Subaru badges
Old 05-01-11, 11:51 PM
stlgrym3
Racer

does anyone know if it's gonna be a 2+2 or strictly a two seater? i hope it's the former.

Quick Reply: Toyota/Subaru/Scion Lightweight Sports Car: Toyota GT86, Subaru BRZ, Scion FRS!