Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota/Subaru/Scion Lightweight Sports Car: Toyota GT86, Subaru BRZ, Scion FRS!

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-11, 11:30 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
And this was on a 100+ degree-day. At lower, more-normal temperatures, the tires' tread-compound might be even less-sticky, and not grip as much.....but much, of course, depends on road-temperatures as well.
it has been recorded anywhere between 0.90g and 0.98g

:-)
Old 05-20-11, 02:49 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus
Forum Moderator

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

Can't wait to see this: http://www.autoblog.com/2011/05/20/t...upes-in-tokyo/
Old 05-20-11, 04:20 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Knowing Toyota... this thing going to out by like 2014. Seeing it took them like 5 years to make the LFA production ready.
Old 05-20-11, 04:45 PM
Kostamojen
Pole Position

Considering the on-road testing thats going on, it will be out next year for sure. Not to mention the actual production car debuts at the Tokyo autoshow later this year!
Old 05-20-11, 05:13 PM
kumquatism
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A N/A boxer engine with a 6 speed M/T and LSD? Sounds great as a Toyota or Subaru...not so much as a Scion. I'm really digging the giant wing in the back. I dunno, I've always liked cars with a ridiculous factory spoiler (I'm looking at you, RSX-s, Supra, STI/Evo).

From the looks of it, the car should be ready to launch very soon. A lot of 2012 production models are just leaking to us now, about the same time as the FT-86, so a 2012 model launch (Q4, 2011) isn't such a big stretch. Just wishful thinking!
Old 05-20-11, 07:52 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Scion FR-S Soapbox car
Renowned concept car builder Five:Axis is ready to throw down with a truly outstanding build for an upcoming Soapbox Derby. Being put together by Red Bull, this ain't your regular Soapbox Derby, and this certainly ain't your average backyard special. This is a custom one-off fiberglass micro-body based on the super stylish Scion FR-S Concept unveiled at the New York Auto Show in April. Since Five:Axis is well intertwined with Toyota, Lexus and Scion, it looks like they got some design studio CAD files to design the shell and the same slinky red metallic paint that the FR-S was wearing for its first stage appearance.

Think the underpinnings are still '50s Soapbox technology? You couldn't be further off because the custom aluminum space frame features a TEIN coilover suspension and Wilwood disc brakes. But all that technology isn't going to be worth jack if there isn't a ringer behind the wheel. The Five:Axis Scion FR-S will be piloted by none other than Dai Yoshihara, the Formula D drifter who slides the Falken Tire Nissan 240SX. Dai knows a thing or two about grip as well since he also competes in the Redline Time Attack Tuner Car Championship in an imported Civic Type R.

However, at this point we're not sure what part of Dai's expertise is really applicable for the upcoming Redbull Soapbox derby race. The only race on the calendar in the U.S. this year, it's slated to be held tomorrow, May 21 at 5th & Grand in downtown LA and promises to be nothing like what you might envision a traditional Soapbox derby to be. There are sharp 90-degree turns, NASCAR-style banks and myriad of sweet jumps. Although it appears the Five:Axis build will hold together during the abuse, we are not sure that Dai's run will be crash or injury free.
Old 05-20-11, 08:05 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by kumquatism
A N/A boxer engine with a 6 speed M/T and LSD? Sounds great as a Toyota or Subaru...not so much as a Scion. I'm really digging the giant wing in the back. I dunno, I've always liked cars with a ridiculous factory spoiler (I'm looking at you, RSX-s, Supra, STI/Evo).

From the looks of it, the car should be ready to launch very soon. A lot of 2012 production models are just leaking to us now, about the same time as the FT-86, so a 2012 model launch (Q4, 2011) isn't such a big stretch. Just wishful thinking!
i love the car...i hope it is really light and fast.

toyota has to realize how the world works - and thats big hp these days. this is not japan.
Old 05-20-11, 08:06 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

p.s. I had MR-S with custom turbo... over 200whp in that little body.

amazing... and scary... i could spin the wheels in 3rd.

completely different car that stock 138hp version....
Old 05-20-11, 09:27 PM
kumquatism
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MR layout cars are a blast to drive too!
It looks like this car targets the s2k/miata market...affordable nimble RWD. Would be great to see what Honda does to keep their portion of that market, seeing the s2k was discontinued.
Old 05-20-11, 10:20 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

This car is going to ignite a tuner frenzy. Its an awesome platform to start with.
Old 05-21-11, 05:39 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by kumquatism
MR layout cars are a blast to drive too!
It looks like this car targets the s2k/miata market...affordable nimble RWD. Would be great to see what Honda does to keep their portion of that market, seeing the s2k was discontinued.
well hopefully it is fast enough... adding turbo is 5k easily. too much money.
on the other hand, chipping existing turbo is cheap.
Old 05-21-11, 03:53 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts
Default Spy Shots: Toyobaru spotted on the 405?

These shots appear to be of the Subaru version of the planned, talked-about, redesigned, and talked-about-some-more 2013 Scion FR-S/Toyota FT-86/Toyobaru. According to our reader spy, this version was wearing Subaru distributor plates, pretty much giving away its true identity.

While the heavy camo does a great job obscuring the a good look at the car, and the shots are taken from a distance, it looks like the Subaru coupe will sport slightly more understated lines than its stablemate at Scion.

Old 05-21-11, 04:17 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

once again this shows that bulging and shaped fenders are still in..

Subbie and Toyota versions should be 98% same I think... this is too much of low volume car for them to make it very different.
Old 05-21-11, 04:19 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

p.s. is that Cayman in front by accident? :-)
Old 05-21-11, 06:26 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
p.s. is that Cayman in front by accident? :-)
Somehow I don't think so.

Originally Posted by spwolf
once again this shows that bulging and shaped fenders are still in..

Subbie and Toyota versions should be 98% same I think... this is too much of low volume car for them to make it very different.
Thank you. Agreed. It irks me to hear everybody going on about "it's the Toyota version" or "it's the Subaru version" .... They are gonna be pretty much the same damn car

Quick Reply: Toyota/Subaru/Scion Lightweight Sports Car: Toyota GT86, Subaru BRZ, Scion FRS!