Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota/Subaru/Scion Lightweight Sports Car: Toyota GT86, Subaru BRZ, Scion FRS!

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-11 | 07:37 PM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

I'm not confused, its just, why make a RWD sports car that will handle amazing but it will have like 200hp? I know it probably wont weigh much and hp isn't every thing but we don't need another RX8. Toyota needs to stop being conservative and build another proper sports car.
Old 08-31-11 | 09:15 AM
rotaryrock
Pole Position

Cool Awesome Interview With Tetsuya Tada chief engineer

Awesome interview with Toyobaru (Subaru BRZ, Toyota FT-86, Scion FR-S) chief engineer:

Full interview:
http://www.ft86club.com/?p=611

Quotes to drool after... please please let these come true.
As for low to the ground, Tada promises a “production car with the world’s lowest center of gravity.”
“From the beginning, the concept was to put the driver back in the driver’s seat, and to eliminate computers as much as possible today. Powerful sports cars use a lot of computer technology so that anyone can drive and handle them. We decided not to go down that road."
The FT-86 has about half of the computing power that is dragged around in a modern day car. The preferred shifter is a stick. An automatic is optional.
Computers want to keep you on the straight and narrow, but some FT-86 owners want that car to go sideways. If you need nannies, go down to the children’s hospital.
Old 08-31-11 | 09:25 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SRTGS300
I'm not confused, its just, why make a RWD sports car that will handle amazing but it will have like 200hp?
oh I dunno. Ask Mazda. Why make a Miata?
Old 08-31-11 | 02:42 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

I'm not confused, its just, why make a RWD sports car that will handle amazing but it will have like 200hp? I know it probably wont weigh much and hp isn't every thing but we don't need another RX8. Toyota needs to stop being conservative and build another proper sports car.
because you can price it at $20k, and turbo it for $5k max to get a beast.
Old 08-31-11 | 02:54 PM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

You can turbo any thing to make it a beast. I'm talking about factory ratings.
Old 08-31-11 | 03:13 PM
Brian@Vossen
Former Sponsor

Very promising to read! I think this car is going to exceed expectations!
Old 08-31-11 | 03:37 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

You can turbo any thing to make it a beast. I'm talking about factory ratings.
factory rating is low $20k.

while elantra hatchback/veloster with 1.6l is $23k with options.

get it?
Old 08-31-11 | 03:41 PM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Yes I get it
Old 08-31-11 | 03:54 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

This will be pointless if it has under 300hp
uh, honda s2000 isn't a 'proper' sports car? and miatas win tons of auto cross and other races.

sure big hp is nice, but to keep costs low and handling great and performance better it's better to shed weight. if you've not driven a really light car, you should some time. even without tons of power it will have you grinning from ear to ear.

Originally Posted by nabbun
oh I dunno. Ask Mazda. Why make a Miata?
+1
Old 08-31-11 | 03:57 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

hopefully it will offer lsd.
Old 09-01-11 | 04:57 AM
jruhi4
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
hopefully it will offer lsd.
From numerous accounts I've read, LSD will, in fact, be standard.
Old 09-01-11 | 08:54 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

sure big hp is nice, but to keep costs low and handling great and performance better it's better to shed weight. if you've not driven a really light car, you should some time. even without tons of power it will have you grinning from ear to ear.
I agree, Paul, as far as handling and stering-response goes, but in general, light weight, all elese equal, also means a stiffer ride. I don't like stiff, noisy rides. A Miata or S2000 is a lot of fun for relatively short distances on winding roads, but would drive me batty on a long trip.
Old 09-01-11 | 08:56 AM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

uh, honda s2000 isn't a 'proper' sports car? and miatas win tons of auto cross and other races.

I understand where you're coming from, I have driven a mildly modded S2k and those cars are little rockets due to the lack of weight. They should at least turbocharge it. Is it gonna be a flat or inline 4?
Old 09-01-11 | 01:26 PM
kumquatism
Lexus Test Driver
CL Folding 100000

Subaru made the engine so I believe it's a flat 4.
Old 09-01-11 | 05:01 PM
motohide
Pole Position

ON the topic of LSD. This is something that is quite pricey and the types of Limited Slip differentials needed (and not needed) varies greatly by users that do require them. It could be an option as it is quite exensive part of the drivetrain.

A competition track user will require something a bit tougher than a 2 pinion or standard viscous unit. Traditional clutch pack 2 and 4 pinions will require high maintenance and custom settings for most serious users. A Torsen (tm) unit may be on the expensive side for a car to be very strictly focused on getting the price line low. We'll see how the packaging comes on the new car... It will almost be a necessity for most drivers who enter any form of motorsports, but for those that never need one, it will become another expensive part that a person will never see an advantage.

For serious racing though, an OEM unit usually suffers from lack of needed initial torque and final lock strength, and we usually always end up opting for a 4 pinion aftermarket systems, custom tuned to necessary settings.

Quick Reply: Toyota/Subaru/Scion Lightweight Sports Car: Toyota GT86, Subaru BRZ, Scion FRS!