Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota/Subaru/Scion Lightweight Sports Car: Toyota GT86, Subaru BRZ, Scion FRS!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-11, 05:16 PM
motohide
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kumquatism
Subaru made the engine so I believe it's a flat 4.
Yes the engine is a Subaru EJ/FB based flat four. However, Mr.Tada has informed me that the FT86/FRS engine has been revised by Toyota and Yamaha and will feature new block, rods, pistons, and head specification as well as Yamaha acoustically tuned exhaust system(s). This change is in effort of utilizing the state of tune to better fit the aftermarket compatibility, reliability, and most of all, ease of service as well as high revving, spirited naturally aspirated use in the character of FT86 (er, AE86)

It does use most of the software gear from Denso along with the GDI systems already in use by newest Subaru, but with a few surprises tucked in the control units that we cannot disclose yet.
Old 09-01-11, 05:49 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by motohide
ON the topic of LSD. This is something that is quite pricey and the types of Limited Slip differentials needed (and not needed) varies greatly by users that do require them. It could be an option as it is quite exensive part of the drivetrain.

A competition track user will require something a bit tougher than a 2 pinion or standard viscous unit. Traditional clutch pack 2 and 4 pinions will require high maintenance and custom settings for most serious users. A Torsen (tm) unit may be on the expensive side for a car to be very strictly focused on getting the price line low. We'll see how the packaging comes on the new car... It will almost be a necessity for most drivers who enter any form of motorsports, but for those that never need one, it will become another expensive part that a person will never see an advantage.

For serious racing though, an OEM unit usually suffers from lack of needed initial torque and final lock strength, and we usually always end up opting for a 4 pinion aftermarket systems, custom tuned to necessary settings.
So you have no confirmation that it has LSD? It would make sense for me to make it Torsen as Toyota owns Torsen brand for the past 6-7 years and supplies other manufacturers. Also a lot of Toyota awd products transitioned to use Torsen LSD.
Old 09-05-11, 05:06 PM
LexFather

They just put a new LSD in the 600h L....the IS F gained a LSD in 2010...I think an old school slip is just what this car needs...though it adds weight...

Old 09-05-11, 05:30 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
They just put a new LSD in the 600h L....the IS F gained a LSD in 2010...I think an old school slip is just what this car needs...though it adds weight...
The AWD system employs a compact, ultra-quiet transfer case equipped with a TORSEN® limited-slip differential (LSD) that is 30 percent lighter in size and weight than previous TORSEN systems.
LFA: The differential, by the way, is a Torsen limited-slip unit.
There's a pretty major performance upgrade on the 2010 Lexus IS-F: a torsen-type limited-slip rear differential. Previously, the IS-F only had a simulated limited-slip diff effect via its VDIM system.
The Torsen T-3 will be employed as the centre differential in all future non-Haldex Traction Audi models with quattro four-wheel drive, current applications: 2008 Audi S4 (B7), Audi RS4 (B7), and Audi Q7. Alfa Romeo uses Torsen C twin differential in Alfa Romeo 156 Crosswagon Q4 and then in 159, Brera and Spider Q4 models. Also Toyota uses a Torsen T-3 in the center differential of the Toyota 4Runner and Lexus GX470, with manual locking feature, and GM has a Torsen T-3 centre differential in the (non rear drive) Chevrolet TrailBlazer SS.

2012 S6, S7, S8 - Other new developments include a reworked Torsen four-wheel drive system, which, like that of the S8, features a self-locking centre differential.

Read more: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/au...#ixzz1X7yaoV6E

Toyoda Machine Works Ltd., in 2003, purchased the worldwide Torsen division from Robert Bosch / Zexel Corporation. Zexel Torsen, Inc. was then renamed Toyoda-Koki Automotive Torsen North America Inc. to reflect this change. The company name change became effective on September 1, 2003.
I cant believe Toyota will use anything but their own Torsen LSD. Japanese technology making German cars better FTW (cant stop teasing Audi fans :P)
Old 09-06-11, 06:49 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is Toyoda Machine Works really owned by TMC though? I can't find the link between the two.
Old 09-06-11, 09:51 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Koma
Is Toyoda Machine Works really owned by TMC though? I can't find the link between the two.
of course... it is actually changed to JTEK now. It is one of the core Toyota Group companies, and one of the world largest EPS system suppliers for all manufacturers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Group
Old 09-13-11, 05:27 PM
suislide
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

still invisible
Old 10-26-11, 11:49 PM
Kostamojen
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Engine bay photo from the race in Germany:

Possible interior photos from a leaked brochure:

I soooo want this car!
Old 10-27-11, 05:43 AM
rotaryrock
Pole Position

Thumbs up Toyota FT-86 revealed!

FT-86 / FR-S revealed in Modellista brochure!

http://www.ft86club.com/?p=652

Modellista is Toyota's so this looks like the real thing.
Old 10-27-11, 06:26 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

production version looks amazing... make sure you understand that this is accessories catalogue so hence some of the unnecessary bling. Also if you didnt know, Japanese preffer to pick their own radio so a lot of cars come without them in Japan (most Toyota's do).
Old 10-27-11, 06:34 AM
js619858
Pole Position

Not the best looking car but pretty nice, at least it helps Toyota in looks! Not bad for the car and price, just wish it had a little more power!
Old 10-27-11, 06:37 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

The car stayed very true to the concept overall - awesome! I wonder if the Scion will have any sheetmetal or detailing differences, as the FRS concept was quite different from the FT86 concept.

Very pleased to see this.
Old 10-27-11, 06:44 AM
Brian@Vossen
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This was posted in the big thread.....
Old 10-27-11, 06:45 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

I figured that the interior of this car was going to be basic....but I certainly hope it looks better than that.
Old 10-27-11, 07:10 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks pretty aggressive.

Good to see lots of design elements from the concept trickling to the production model...

Quick Reply: Toyota/Subaru/Scion Lightweight Sports Car: Toyota GT86, Subaru BRZ, Scion FRS!