Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota/Subaru/Scion Lightweight Sports Car: Toyota GT86, Subaru BRZ, Scion FRS!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-11, 12:26 PM
my95tsi
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackraven

TRD makes this car (FT-86) better

P.S.
@regarding the Subaru version

I'm still not convinced of buying a rear-wheel drive Subaru.

For me:
Subaru is best with Symmetrical All Wheel Drive (then maybe I could make an exception for their Front-Wheel Drive vehicles.....like the Trezia).

But an RWD Subaru? Hmm...........I can't see or feel any reason to consider one. :|
What would be the issue with a RWD Subaru? Their engine configurations are already a rwd platform. You're reasoning is not supported by any fact.
Old 11-04-11, 01:56 PM
grabber2
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

The TRD quad exhaust is so hot!!!! With that TRD look....no way its below $30K
Damn, this looks good.

200HP, RWD, 6MT, & 2,500~2,600lbs.....I think I already have an idea how fast this thing go since the the RSX-s is 195HP, FW, 6MT & 2850lbs

Toyota is on the move to release the FRS --> then a Supra replacement in the $40K~50K?? Hope so
Old 11-04-11, 02:07 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by grabber2
The TRD quad exhaust is so hot!!!! With that TRD look....no way its below $30K
Damn, this looks good.

200HP, RWD, 6MT, & 2,500~2,600lbs.....I think I already have an idea how fast this thing go since the the RSX-s is 195HP, FW, 6MT & 2850lbs

Toyota is on the move to release the FRS --> then a Supra replacement in the $40K~50K?? Hope so
well hopefully thing thing will be a deal faster than RSX and GTS because of the RWD, 10% less weight and nicer power curve, without crazy bumps like in VVTL-i and i-vtec where at 5k/6k rpm you get 20% bump in power (and below that you car drives as if it had 30 hp less).
Old 11-04-11, 05:41 PM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

the whimpy motor is a turn off for me. i wish it gets something similar to S2000's motor, 8k rpm redline, 220 + hp, torque doesn't matter since it's a high revving motor. i'm even willing to pay 30k for that car.
Old 11-04-11, 06:02 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by stlgrym3
the whimpy motor is a turn off for me. i wish it gets something similar to S2000's motor, 8k rpm redline, 220 + hp, torque doesn't matter since it's a high revving motor. i'm even willing to pay 30k for that car.
well not sure... torque and power in FR-S, under 6000 rpm will be quite comparable to S2000.... after 6000 rpm, due to 30hp gain from i-vtec, it might pull ahead but not by much.... i think up to 10% weight difference for FR-S would actually make it faster than S2000.

heck another proof that someone like C&D/RT/MT might make FR-S go 0-60 under 6s :-)
Old 11-04-11, 06:05 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

p.s. nothing against i-vtec or VVTLi... 2zzge was best 4cly engine i ever drove, let alone owned.
I had Corolla TS and after 6k it would scream like crazy, best experience ever... it was also very fuel efficient - I would spend less fuel in heavier and more powerful Corolla than in my MR-S/2 with normal 2zz engine.
Old 11-04-11, 06:11 PM
Kostamojen
Pole Position

Originally Posted by my95tsi
What would be the issue with a RWD Subaru? Their engine configurations are already a rwd platform. You're reasoning is not supported by any fact.
Its easy to explain, Subaru spent the last decade+ selling the idea of a brand with ONLY AWD in the U.S. Its been ingrained so deeply into people now via advertising that its impossible to think of a Subaru as anything else.

Its having an even worse effect on the Subaru forums, believe me...
Originally Posted by stlgrym3
A couple of us on the FT86 forums came up with the idea of using the shortblock from the FB25 motor with the FA20 motor (since the FA20 in the FT86 is a modified FB20) in order to get increase the displacement by .5 and also get a small compression bump! Might be good for another 20-30hp if it works.
Old 11-04-11, 06:38 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

custom turbos are not expensive... wait for 6 months and there will be setups and group buys for less than 5k installed...
Old 11-04-11, 08:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
no, they did not talk to vehicles chief engineer... that subaru guy is head of subaru product development (for all of their products).

Chief engineer for the product is... Tada-san from Toyota.
Here's the direct quote from the article. To me, that title says the chief engineer...but I guess you interpret it differently.

Yoshio Hirakawa, Subaru's senior manager for engineering
Old 11-04-11, 08:56 PM
LexFather

Mike the chief engineer for this product is from Toyota. He's been interviewed in CAr/EVO as well.

Old 11-04-11, 09:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Mike the chief engineer for this product is from Toyota. He's been interviewed in CAr/EVO as well.
Yes, the article mentioned Hirakawa as the Subaru-project-leader and Toyota's Toshio Masuda (probably the man you are refering to) as the senior project-manager for project-planning. As Toyota owns 16% of Subaru (not the other way around), I guess that puts him one step up in the pecking-order.

The article did make clear, though (assuming it is acurate) that The Subie engineers had free-rein (within cost-restraints) to design the chassis/drivettain/suspension, and then Toyota designed the body and interior around it, not the other way around, which is all-too common.

Have you actually had a chance to see one up front yet or test-drive one? I'd guess not, though, if even the ones shown to the auto-press are still disguised, pre-production models.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-04-11 at 09:11 PM.
Old 11-04-11, 09:10 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Have you had a chance to see one up front or test-drive one? I'd guess not, though, if even the ones shown to the auto-press are still disguised, pre-production models.
Sadly no....they will debut at the Tokyo Auto Show which is late Nov/early December.

Old 11-04-11, 09:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Sadly no....they will debut at the Tokyo Auto Show which is late Nov/early December.
Maybe (?) we'll see it then at L.A. in December or Detroit in early-mid-January. I'd bet the monthly rent they show it off first at one of those two shows before the Washington, D.C. show comes in late January.....unless, as sometimes happens, they decide to wait for New York in April.
Old 11-04-11, 10:47 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackraven
@regarding the Subaru version

I'm still not convinced of buying a rear-wheel drive Subaru.

For me:
Subaru is best with Symmetrical All Wheel Drive (then maybe I could make an exception for their Front-Wheel Drive vehicles.....like the Trezia).

But an RWD Subaru? Hmm...........I can't see or feel any reason to consider one. :|
AWD on a 200 hp street car is like putting a parachute on a stock Kia.

A really heavy, gas mileage sucking, parachute.
Old 11-04-11, 11:20 PM
Kostamojen
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Kurtz
AWD on a 200 hp street car is like putting a parachute on a stock Kia.

A really heavy, gas mileage sucking, parachute.

The difference in weight between this drivetrain and a normal Subaru drivetrain is just the weight of two front CV's and a front differential.

And in case you haven't noticed, the 2012 Impreza fixed the mileage issues.

And 200hp in a 2600lbs AWD car makes it rather fast, ask me how I know.

Quick Reply: Toyota/Subaru/Scion Lightweight Sports Car: Toyota GT86, Subaru BRZ, Scion FRS!