Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota/Subaru/Scion Lightweight Sports Car: Toyota GT86, Subaru BRZ, Scion FRS!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-11, 11:35 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Making it AWD defeats the whole purpose of this project.
Old 11-05-11, 10:40 AM
Kostamojen
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksc400
Making it AWD defeats the whole purpose of this project.
The Toyobaru [i]can't[/b] be AWD because of the drivetrain location. They'd have to completely redesign the chassis to make it AWD, or design a completely new AWD system.

Either way, not going to happen.
Old 11-05-11, 12:40 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Kostamojen
The Toyobaru [i]can't[/b] be AWD because of the drivetrain location. They'd have to completely redesign the chassis to make it AWD, or design a completely new AWD system.

Either way, not going to happen.
they already redesigned it so it wont be AWD :-).

Because Toyota wanted an RWD sports car and Subaru is after all, mostly a contractor.
Old 11-05-11, 12:46 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
they already redesigned it so it wont be AWD :-).

Because Toyota wanted an RWD sports car and Subaru is after all, mostly a contractor.
Exactly, it's what Toyota wants( Light weight, low center of gravity, RWD sports car. A new AE86 drift/track machine), not Subaru.
Old 11-05-11, 03:12 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

The difference in weight between this drivetrain and a normal Subaru drivetrain is just the weight of two front CV's and a front differential.

Which is useless extra weight.

And in case you haven't noticed, the 2012 Impreza fixed the mileage issues.
In what universe?

Since there's no 2WD version to compare how do you figure? Moreover, how did they "solve" the basic laws of physics that require more energy to turn 4 wheels than 2?

And 200hp in a 2600lbs AWD car makes it rather fast, ask me how I know.
Ok, I'll ask- I'd LOVE to hear how it's faster than the same car at 2400 without AWD.

AWD adds traction. A 200 hp car isn't traction limited, so "more" traction doesn't help... thus the only thing AWD does is sit there creating increased weight and increased drivetrain loss.

Now, a car racing off-road, that might well be traction limited even at 200 hp... but you'll note my original comment- On a street car. That is, a street legal car on a paved surface. AWD=useless dead weight for that guy, hurting performance and mileage, to no real benefit.

Now, a 500 hp car, that's entirely another animal (see the GT-R for example)

Last edited by Kurtz; 11-05-11 at 06:22 PM.
Old 11-05-11, 09:29 PM
Kostamojen
Pole Position

Wow, a lot of ignorance in that post... I'm not even going to bother responding.
Old 11-05-11, 11:41 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Wow, a lot of ignorance in that post... I'm not even going to bother responding.
You seem to have confused your unwillingness with your inability

Really, these are pretty basic concepts though... if the vehicle isn't traction limited then adding extra weight and drive train loss for "more" traction is a pretty dumb move.

I'll even give you a great real life example demonstrating you being wrong-

The BMW 335 comes in AWD and RWD...when it first came out the following was noted:

The AWD car is slightly faster 0-60... because at launch the RWD car is, very slightly, traction limited (mainly because it didn't come with an LSD in the RWD model).... By the end of the 1/4 mile though the extra weight and drivetrain loss of the AWD model has caused it to fall behind the RWD model.

Now, the BMW 328 also comes in both.... but since it's only 200-something hp it's not traction limited at all... and guess what? The RWD car is faster 0-60 (and 1/4 mile, and all other paved-road circumstances... because the AWD system is just useless dead weight when the car is not traction limited.

You'll see the same from other car makers... to stick to Lexus for example the AWD IS250 is slower than the RWD IS250 in every measure, plus the inferior gas mileage of course... Even the AWD 350 is slower than the RWD version (and again the worse mileage).

Why?

Because AWD is worthless on a car that isn't traction limited in the first place...and unless your suspension and/or tires are horrible, you're never traction limited on a paved road with 200 hp.

Hope ya learned something!
Old 11-06-11, 12:14 AM
Kostamojen
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Hope ya learned something!
Not really, thats an argument I've been hearing for over 10 years, nothing new.

Saying AWD is useless dead weight on the track (road course, 1/4, auto-x, even back roads) just shows how little real world experience you have.
Old 11-06-11, 01:37 AM
Coconut
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 57 Posts

Kurtz makes a mighty fine argument on why your "theory" is wrong. All I'm hearing from you is your ignorance to respond back. Please enlighten us with your theory.
Old 11-06-11, 02:59 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

it sure will suck to be an subaru fan when AS1 comes out :-).
Old 11-06-11, 07:08 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes, the article mentioned Hirakawa as the Subaru-project-leader and Toyota's Toshio Masuda (probably the man you are refering to) as the senior project-manager for project-planning. As Toyota owns 16% of Subaru (not the other way around), I guess that puts him one step up in the pecking-order.

The article did make clear, though (assuming it is acurate) that The Subie engineers had free-rein (within cost-restraints) to design the chassis/drivettain/suspension, and then Toyota designed the body and interior around it, not the other way around, which is all-too common.

Have you actually had a chance to see one up front yet or test-drive one? I'd guess not, though, if even the ones shown to the auto-press are still disguised, pre-production models.
I guess you must have missed my last post...
Old 11-06-11, 07:56 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Not really, thats an argument I've been hearing for over 10 years, nothing new.

Saying AWD is useless dead weight on the track (road course, 1/4, auto-x, even back roads) just shows how little real world experience you have.
I just showed you multiple examples... real world ones... of AWD making a car slower on the track dude. Dead weight, extra drivetrain loss sucking power and mileage to no benefit.

All you've shown is your ability to repeat I'm wrong without any ability to back it up.

And BTW, you're misquoting me... I said it was useless dead weight at 200 hp on a street car on paved surfaces...not that's it's always useless dead weight on all cars on all courses.

Because, ya know, it is. Just like those "real world" examples I showed you.

For the 99% of the time a street car isn't on the track it goes slower, and 100% of the time it gets worse mileage.

For the 1% of the time it's on the track it's STILL slower as long as it's not traction limited.

Which at 200 hp it's never going to be on a good paved surface (include at the track, where presumably the surface is not only sticky, you're running track tires too!)

Now, with 400-500 hp, AWD can really help in a race. Or on a dirt/gravel/muddy road even with a lot less power. But 200 hp on a street car? On paved surfaces? Not so much...unless maybe it's an awful driver who doesn't know how to drive RWD properly and needs the crutch of AWD at such low power levels...

But by all means show us your examples from the real world of the same ~200 hp cars going faster on paved roads with AWD vs. a RWD version of the same car all else being equal (ie both on the same tires, drivers of the same, good, skill, etc)

Because in all examples I can find, or have ever seen and experienced, in 20+ years of driving and going to the track, in cars from <100 hp to over 500... AWD slows the car down in those circumstances.

Last edited by Kurtz; 11-06-11 at 08:06 AM.
Old 11-06-11, 08:46 AM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Great post Kurtz, 100% agreed.
Old 11-06-11, 10:42 AM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

I just showed you multiple examples... real world ones... of AWD making a car slower on the track dude. Dead weight, extra drivetrain loss sucking power and mileage to no benefit.

All you've shown is your ability to repeat I'm wrong without any ability to back it up.

And BTW, you're misquoting me... I said it was useless dead weight at 200 hp on a street car on paved surfaces...not that's it's always useless dead weight on all cars on all courses.

Because, ya know, it is. Just like those "real world" examples I showed you.

For the 99% of the time a street car isn't on the track it goes slower, and 100% of the time it gets worse mileage.

For the 1% of the time it's on the track it's STILL slower as long as it's not traction limited.

Which at 200 hp it's never going to be on a good paved surface (include at the track, where presumably the surface is not only sticky, you're running track tires too!)

Now, with 400-500 hp, AWD can really help in a race. Or on a dirt/gravel/muddy road even with a lot less power. But 200 hp on a street car? On paved surfaces? Not so much...unless maybe it's an awful driver who doesn't know how to drive RWD properly and needs the crutch of AWD at such low power levels...

But by all means show us your examples from the real world of the same ~200 hp cars going faster on paved roads with AWD vs. a RWD version of the same car all else being equal (ie both on the same tires, drivers of the same, good, skill, etc)

Because in all examples I can find, or have ever seen and experienced, in 20+ years of driving and going to the track, in cars from <100 hp to over 500... AWD slows the car down in those circumstances.
Makes a lot of sense. Actually FWD is even better for low horsepower car. Honda was the expert making those in the 80s and 90s.
Old 11-06-11, 12:33 PM
Kostamojen
Pole Position

This is my entire issue with what you are saying...

You are inferring that <200hp cars with FWD or RWD are not traction limited.

My only conclusion based on this is that you've only driven or seen cars with <200hp running race slicks on dry tarmac with prepped cars.

Quick Reply: Toyota/Subaru/Scion Lightweight Sports Car: Toyota GT86, Subaru BRZ, Scion FRS!