Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Former Toyota USA President Jim Press Never Owned A Toyota Or Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-07, 10:57 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts
Default Former Toyota USA President Jim Press Never Owned A Toyota Or Lexus

Former Toyota USA President Jim Press Never Owned A Toyota Or Lexus

The Chrysler media blog's got an interview with the new Vice-Chairman of "The New Chrysler," Jim Press. Much of it's a nice little flufferview of the guy who until being snagged by Cerberus, spent thirty years at Toyota, eventually becoming President of Toyota USA and the only non-Japanese ToMoCo board member. Still, at the end of the interview was a little blurb that stood out as shockingly note-worthy:

Press has always loved cars. He built his first go-cart at age seven, got his first car when he was 12. At age 13, he started washing cars at his family's dealership in Kansas. But he said he never bought a Toyota or Lexus. The only vehicle he owns is a Yamaha motorcycle. But he'll soon be driving Chrysler vehicles."

Are you kidding us -- the guy worked for Toyota for over 30 years and never once bought one of the vehicles he sold? We're stunned.

Press Sees Strength in Dealers, Investment in Future from Cerberus

Posted Sep 27, 2007

He's been on the job for less than a week, but brings a wealth of automotive experience to Chrysler. So what does Jim Press, the new Vice Chairman and President, think needs to change at Chrysler?

Ask the Chrysler workers and dealers - they already know what changes need to be made, he said in a candid interview with the TheFirehouse.

"One of the things I've learned over the years is the talent in the organization doesn't rest wherever the executive floor might be," he said on Wednesday. "What we need to do is create the atmosphere and the environment for people to realize and do what they need to do to take care of the customer."

"I don't have any playbook, I don't have any secret codes, and there's no silver bullet here. It's about empowering the organization, driving decision making closer to the level where they know what needs to be done, closer to the customer."

Press has already visited three Chrysler dealerships during his first four days on the job, and he plans to visit many more. Chrysler dealers have weathered good times and bad, they have more seniority than Chrysler management, and nobody knows more about how to sell cars.

The veteran dealers and the strong workforce are some of the reasons he joined Chrysler from Toyota, Press said.

"I have a saying and that is the strongest steel comes from the hottest fire, and there's been a lot of fire here and there's a lot of strength," he said.

When asked why he is so sure that Chrysler will gain market share in the future, he said that Chrysler vehicle lineup gives him confidence.

"The bones of our products are really strong. They're emotional, they're fun, they're exciting. They have an appeal that other products don't have. And they have good integrity."

Chrysler's competitors are growing fiercer, he said, but "they're starting to face a little bit of a headwind themselves, and I think that opens the door for us," he said. "We're nimble. We have new ownership. Our new ownership has empowered us to do things right. We don't have a lot of constraints that other companies do. We can be nimble, we can be fast, we can be flexible."

The foresight and the capital of parent Cerberus Capital Management gives Chrysler a great advantage, he said.

"We have been given the opportunity to earmark a ton of money for development of advanced products," he said. "Things that are really necessary to have a strong foundation for the future are being put in place. And one of them is product development of advanced technology."

Another reason for optimism is the opportunity to expand the Chrysler, Jeep and Dodge brands outside the United States, he said.

"If you look at the global auto market, do you know that we're adding a 100,000 cars a day to the planet. And someone else is selling all those vehicles outside the United States, and we ought to get our share, especially if we can get our 10 or 11 percent share here outside," he said.

Press has always loved cars. He built his first go-cart at age seven, got his first car when he was 12. At age 13, he started washing cars at his family's dealership in Kansas. But he said he never bought a Toyota or Lexus. The only vehicle he owns is a Yamaha motorcycle. But he'll soon be driving Chrysler vehicles.
via jalopnik
Old 09-27-07, 11:02 AM
Shoyuu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It strikes me as odd that someone can work that long and attain such a high position with a car company and have never once owned one of their own cars?
Old 09-27-07, 11:20 AM
toyemp
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The key term here is "own" vs "drive". Jim Press drove many toyota/lexus cars -- all managers and above at Toyota get a car allowance to drive whatever car(s) they choose. At his level, there was never a need to actually purchase any vehicles because they were provided for free and as often as he liked.
Old 09-27-07, 11:21 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

I suppose "company cars" don't count ??
Old 09-27-07, 11:50 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They probably can afford 10 or 20 Lexuses at one purchase...
but hey, if it is free... why buy it?
Old 09-27-07, 11:54 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Also I read he often lived on a boat...
Old 09-27-07, 12:32 PM
flyfishman
Driver

I have heard/read that he drove the LC on a daily basis and thought it was perfect the way it was and this is why it took so long for the redesign to debut.
Old 09-27-07, 12:59 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 96 Likes on 88 Posts

i heard he was in an LS460L
Old 09-27-07, 01:14 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by toyemp
The key term here is "own" vs "drive". Jim Press drove many toyota/lexus cars -- all managers and above at Toyota get a car allowance to drive whatever car(s) they choose. At his level, there was never a need to actually purchase any vehicles because they were provided for free and as often as he liked.
exactly...media putting a BS spin on things.
Old 09-27-07, 01:19 PM
Shoyuu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by toyemp
Originally Posted by Robarapta
I suppose "company cars" don't count ??

That makes sense.
Old 09-27-07, 02:30 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

what a terrible story, its obvious he was GIVEN company cars, and they most certainly were Toyota and Lexus. They can spin it anyway they want.

What a douchebag author.
Old 09-27-07, 03:04 PM
thetopdog
Lead Lap

Even if he's never owned/been given a Toyota or Lexus, why is that a big deal? If I made his money, there is no Toyota or Lexus I'd drive either. I'd have a Lambo and a Bentley for foul weather.

You don't need to actually use the product to be an effective businessman. I'm sure there are plenty of men in charge of companies that product 'feminine sanitation' products that have no first hand experience with what they're selling
Old 09-27-07, 03:47 PM
carenthus
Driver

"he said he never bought a Toyota or Lexus"
He must have gotten his Toyota and Lexus for free. Of course he never bought them (with his own money) as the article stated.

You can say the same thing with his future company or companies.

Last edited by carenthus; 09-27-07 at 04:38 PM.
Old 09-27-07, 04:26 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Typically media spin .

Jim Press DID "own" Lexus and Toyota vehicles, but as others have mentioned they were company cars or were a write-off. One of my friends' dad owns a Camry; it's a company car and a write-off, but he STILL owns the car.
Old 09-28-07, 12:48 PM
no2faber
Lead Lap

I agree that it's a pretty stupid headline and there can be a million reasons why he never bought one. I have a feeling none of them involve him secretly hating or snubbing the company he worked for or the products his company sold, which seems to be what the headline implies. I also agree with the comments above that not owning one is no indication of how often he drove or was driven in one or how much he liked or disliked Toyota/Lexus vehicles. On the flip side, what does owning a Toyota or Lexus really mean? It doesn't mean that he necessarily liked Toyota/Lexus vehicles if he had one. He could have easily bought one even if he didn't like it.

Anyway, I think there's really nothing left to discuss.

Quick Reply: Former Toyota USA President Jim Press Never Owned A Toyota Or Lexus