Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2008 Tahoe and Yukon Hybrid SUVs to be rated at 21/22 using 2008 EPA ratings

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-07, 04:24 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I can't wait for Detroit critics...

Toyota SUV hybrids: hybrids are not the answer; we have to question the long-term effects of its batteries; you don't get enough good mileage with a hybrid SUV; they're stupid; you get better gas mileage with an Aveo...

GM SUV hybrids: "It's the shiznit!!!"
Old 09-27-07, 04:40 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not impressed at all . After ALL the hype and hoopla about the two-mode hybrids, and how they would be SO much better than Toyota's hybrids, we get 21/22 EPA numbers?

The new Land Cruiser, which has MORE power than these GM hybrids gets 18 mpg on the highway under the new EPA regulations. The Land Cruiser also has permanent 4WD. Curb weight for the Land Cruiser is roughly the same as the GM hybrids. The EPA numbers for 4WD versions is 20/20. To compare, Land Cruiser EPA numbers are 13/18.

A nice improvement in city mpg, but nothing special on the highway side and overall the two-mode does NOT seem any better than Toyota's system in terms of fuel economy improvement.

Wasn't all the hype about the two-modes related to the idea that they could tow more than traditional hybrids, and get better highway fuel economy? They have good tow ratings for hybrids, but it looks like they fail to match the hype about much improved highway fuel economy.

And comparing these GM hybrid SUVs to a 4 cyl Camry? It's absolutely silly. So what if they slightly beat or match the city mileage of the Camry? The Camry remains MUCH better on the highway. Talk about a biased and narrow-minded comparison. And if you compare these hybrid SUVs to a hybrid Camry? Well then there is even no comparison as the Camry Hybrid's EPA numbers are in a whole other league.

Last edited by TRDFantasy; 09-27-07 at 04:43 PM.
Old 09-27-07, 04:54 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
I'm not impressed at all . After ALL the hype and hoopla about the two-mode hybrids, and how they would be SO much better than Toyota's hybrids, we get 21/22 EPA numbers?

The new Land Cruiser, which has MORE power than these GM hybrids gets 18 mpg on the highway under the new EPA regulations. The Land Cruiser also has permanent 4WD. Curb weight for the Land Cruiser is roughly the same as the GM hybrids. The EPA numbers for 4WD versions is 20/20. To compare, Land Cruiser EPA numbers are 13/18.
This is true, the Land Cruiser's 5.7L does make significantly more power. But you have to remember that GM has been a few paces behind in the game for awhile so at least they're getting something out there and have room for improvement.

I would also like to see the numbers with the old method of testing, which the EPA should post sometime soon on fueleconomy.gov.
The Malibu mild hybrid gets 24 mpg city, 32 hwy, but under the old method of testing it achieves 28 city, 35 hwy, very respectable for a mild hybrid with a 2.4L. In case you couldn't tell, I dont agree with the EPA's new method of testing. Sure people accelerate faster than I do, but do they really run their A/C year round and accelerate to 80 MPH? I certainly don't. In fact most the roads around PA are 55 MPH so Im usually crusing at 62. And mom's RX400h gets 27 hwy, 29 city on average, must different from what the EPA's new estimates are.

End rant

I think Toyota can learn from GM and Honda and start incorperating active fuel managment to their 6 and 8 cylinder hybrids.
Old 09-27-07, 05:07 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Here is a pic of it. Very nice riding truck by Mr. Lutz & GM

Old 09-27-07, 08:03 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
This is true, the Land Cruiser's 5.7L does make significantly more power. But you have to remember that GM has been a few paces behind in the game for awhile so at least they're getting something out there and have room for improvement.

I would also like to see the numbers with the old method of testing, which the EPA should post sometime soon on fueleconomy.gov.
The Malibu mild hybrid gets 24 mpg city, 32 hwy, but under the old method of testing it achieves 28 city, 35 hwy, very respectable for a mild hybrid with a 2.4L. In case you couldn't tell, I dont agree with the EPA's new method of testing. Sure people accelerate faster than I do, but do they really run their A/C year round and accelerate to 80 MPH? I certainly don't. In fact most the roads around PA are 55 MPH so Im usually crusing at 62. And mom's RX400h gets 27 hwy, 29 city on average, must different from what the EPA's new estimates are.

End rant

I think Toyota can learn from GM and Honda and start incorperating active fuel managment to their 6 and 8 cylinder hybrids.
I actually agree with the EPA testing since it is more realistic in terms of being closer to "worst case" fuel economy than it was before.

Sure not everyone drives hard or aggressively, but in places like Cali A/C really IS used most of the time, and a lot of people on highways drive more than 55mph.

The new EPA ratings encompass a wide variety and range of driving styles, which is what makes the numbers more realistic.
Old 09-27-07, 08:35 PM
rosskoss
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is the same 2-mode hybrid system that MB and BMW will be using in the future. For a 5500+lb giant SUV with a 6200lb towing capacity, I'd say that's damn good.

I hope people realise that going from 14mpg to 21mpg yields a larger fuel savings compared to say going from 30 mpg to 40mpg.

GM needs to throw this system into its lambda units as soon as possible. If this car is any indication, the numbers will be very impressive -

Surprise!) it's one more vehicle to give credence to Frankfurt's green-theme. The Mercedes-Benz ML 450 Hybrid will be packing a two-mode hybrid drivetrain that was co-recreated by BMW, GM and M.B., producing 340 HP and 354 lb.-ft. of torque, all while delivering over 30 miles-per-gallon.
Old 09-27-07, 08:37 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Sounds pretty good to me for a big 5,700lb SUV. About the same EPA estimates for the LS600h I think.
Old 09-27-07, 08:41 PM
carguy101
Lead Lap

Toyota is the hybrid leader, and these GM hybrids seem every bit as good as Toyota hybrids from an efficiency standpoint, so that's a pretty good accomplishment in my book.

Also, all hybrids get very little efficiency gains on the freeway. A 10% gain sounds about right. For example, the Camry Hybrid gets 34 mpg on the freeway, while the regular Camry gets 31 mpg on the freeway. That's also about a 10% gain.

Last edited by carguy101; 09-27-07 at 08:51 PM.
Old 09-27-07, 09:30 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GFerg
Sounds pretty good to me for a big 5,700lb SUV. About the same EPA estimates for the LS600h I think.
To be fair, the LS600h is more powerful and has AWD, although it weighs less than these GM SUVs and has less drag. The GM hybrids with 4WD get 20/20 EPA while the LS600h gets 20/22.
Old 09-27-07, 09:35 PM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

when GM vehicles are involved EPA estimates mean little. I'll wait to see real world results. But I'm glad GM finally is building a hybrid.
Old 09-27-07, 09:49 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
I actually agree with the EPA testing since it is more realistic in terms of being closer to "worst case" fuel economy than it was before.
Well I am just confused how I can drive my Subaru Legacy (5MT) doing all city driving and achieve 24 mpg, when the EPA said (in 1999) it should achieve 21 mpg and the new EPA ratings say it should only get 19 mpg. Yeah right. It really doesn't have that much hp. Re-evaluate your testing methods.

Perhaps I am just a really really really good driver ....of AWD vehicles no less.
Old 09-27-07, 09:49 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

I dont run my A/C year round!
Old 09-27-07, 10:07 PM
rosskoss
Advanced

People, go read up 2008 EPA fuel economy ratings. Most people will BEAT these ratings in real-world performance.
Old 09-27-07, 11:00 PM
splitfire
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Driving this vehicle today.. Black with tan interior. Long day today so I will post pics of it tomorrow. It drives pretty smooth and feels more secure on the road than a Jeep Grand Cherokee. GM did a good job with this truck. perhaps I should slap 24's on it

I'm also driving a 08 Tahoe LT now, returned the POS 08 Expedition and got this instead.. much nicer.. I put almost 1500 miles in 2 weeks it get pretty good gas millege on highway.. it drive so smooth and quite I actually think the new Tahoe is better than my old LX470..
Old 09-27-07, 11:19 PM
splitfire
Lexus Test Driver

here is a pic of the Tahoe I'm driving now.. so big and wide its AWSOME

Quick Reply: 2008 Tahoe and Yukon Hybrid SUVs to be rated at 21/22 using 2008 EPA ratings