Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Honda offers special leasing on new Accords already(+Edmunds' Full Test - Page 3)

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-07, 04:55 PM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd say the Accord is easily better than the competition w/the exception of the Camry
Old 10-02-07, 05:06 PM
jracerlmn
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nextourer
Hmm... I can't see it. I even checked the B-Pillars.. unless there's a new location for them??
wait are we talking about the same thing? because what i think we're talking about is seen very clearly in the bottom two pictures...
Old 10-02-07, 05:15 PM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

http://www.familycar.com/RoadTests/H...8/RearSeat.jpg
Old 10-02-07, 05:25 PM
UTGS400
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by jracerlmn
wait are we talking about the same thing? because what i think we're talking about is seen very clearly in the bottom two pictures...
Take a closer look at the labels for the pictures...the bottom 2 are of the camry. :-)

Last edited by UTGS400; 10-02-07 at 05:51 PM.
Old 10-02-07, 05:47 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jracerlmn
Are you referring to my post with the pics? The top pic is the Accord, and the bottom two pics are NOT the Accord but the Camry.

Please show me a picture where we can see rear A/C vents on the 2008 Accord.
Old 10-02-07, 06:44 PM
jracerlmn
Lexus Champion

OHHHHH...

that would explain it hahahaha my bad my bad...

i've never owned either so clearly i wouldn't know the difference LOL
Old 10-02-07, 11:11 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
lol, you can substitute Accord for Camry in your description about as both are pretty ungainly and boring. Owners have complained already about improper interior piece fitment in Accords. Not unusual, it is a new car and it takes a couple years to work all the kinks out.

Both are great reliable, boring transportation. How people really think one is so much better than the other is beyond me (and laughable).
The Accord and Camry have always been pretty different with the camry focusing on just basic reliable no frills transportation and the accord being sportier and more involving yet still offering a comfortable reliable ride. I have been in several Accords and Camrys over the years and all the Camrys never impressed me at all and the materials and interior felt rather cheap and very uninspired except for the last generation which had better materials although was still boring to me. When driving Camrys they did not feel like a Japanese car at all but felt more like a Buick in design, layout, drive, and feel to me. I was immediately turned off when driving one and could not imagine one being a daily driver, it was almost depressing driving one. It felt like a car designed for older people and not to appeal to younger drivers. I can see why the Camry appeals to many Americans especially ones that liked GM cars because the Camry has slightly larger and coushier seats then an Accord and drove more like a GM design although it was much more reliable, better built, and helds its value much better.

Accords to me have always been sportier and were more driver oriented and much more satisfying and fun to drive yet they have a comfortable ride and are very reliable. I never found Accords to be boring aside from the generation out in 2000. Although they are certainly no 3 series they are fairly enjoyable to drive and live with and have a pretty driver oriented feel and design. That is why there is alot of aftermarket support for Accords and why younger people tend to prefer them. To me they feel more like a Japanese import in the way they drive and look although with the newer models they are getting larger and loosing some of the driver focus. I can see why many Americans used to driving Buicks, Tauruses, and Oldsmobiles etc would not like Accords because they do not drive or feel like them at all and may ride a little rough to them and not have as much open space and feel more confined. The Accord that was out around 1999 and 2000 was my least favorite and when they kind of took a step back to appeal to a larger market. That car grew in size and lost much of its driver focus and design to appeal to more American buyers. Its interior was not that inspired and did nothing for me and its exterior was just so so. The last generation was a little more driver focused and its interior was a huge improvement over the previous model and pretty much best in class although its exterior was odd looking and not well received. This current model has grown more in size and seems further away from the sporty more driver focused Accords of past but it manages to look and feel more like a luxury car inside and out and the interior is very well done as well as having some good powertrain options.

I had a 96 Accord and was very impressed with its build quality and driver focused feel and environment but I am not saying it was anything to be compared to a BMW just much sportier then your average family car. Some of the buttons and switches felt more satisfying and higher quality then some of the switches in my GS430 which was very impressive.

If someone is a car enthusiasts but did not have money or needed something more practical then say a 3 series or A4 I believe they would compromise and most likely choose the Accord over the Camry to provide somewhat more of a drivers car where the Camry would be chosen mainly for comfort, softer ride, and being a little roomier by someone older and not that into cars.

The current Gen Camry seems to have tried to be a little sportier and appeal to younger drivers with the exterior and 260+hp v-6 but the interior does not impress me and feels cheaper and not as well put together as the previous generation. It is also having its share of problems which is unusaul for a Toyota. The Accord and Camry are getting more similiar as each generation progresses with the accord getting larger, heavier, as well as the two getting similiar options and power levels. They are trying to appeal to more and more people which can be a good thing and bad thing as each generation loses focus on what made it successful and why people bought them and as they build more for larger markets you can run into quality problems.
Old 10-03-07, 10:47 AM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just note that the Camry's suspension (LE/XLE) was stiffen up for 2004 (compared to the 02-03 version).
Old 10-04-07, 08:41 AM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

I think this is a very fair review from Motor Trend (which chose the Camry
the Car of the Year last year). Looks like the Accord may have an edge...

http://www.motortrend.com/av/roadtes...ta_camry_video