Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Badge Background

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-07, 05:57 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Badge Background

Somebody's been doing their homework. Or not, depending on how they got involved in this little bit of trivia. Ever wonder what the significance was of the various manufacturer's logos and badges might be? Frankly it hadn't crossed my mind, but this list should prove interesting . . .

http://gawlowski.com/matt/cars/car_logos.html
Old 09-29-07, 08:48 AM
LexFather

Being a history buff, thanks!!

Old 09-29-07, 11:57 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,630 Posts

From the Toyota entry...

"...Also, in Japanese 'Toyo' means an abundance of, and 'ta' is rice"

rofl
Old 09-29-07, 01:10 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
From the Toyota entry...

rofl
the company's founder is Toyoda. I highly doubt that was what they were getting at. But how Ironic... rofl
Old 09-29-07, 05:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Some believe that the Mitsubishi logo represents a ship's propellers (Mitsuibishi was involved in shipbuilding early in the company's existence). However, a more commonly accepted explanation is that the logo is formed by the joining of two family emblems and does not represent any part of a ship.
An excellent post, Lil, but the Mitsubishi explanation is incorrect. The Mitsubishi "Diamond Star" with the three red diamonds comes from the Japanese symbol meaning perfection and the ultimate in service.

The name of the former Mitsubishi sedan flagship, the Diamante, is derived directly from the "Diamond" tradition.

The history of the Scion logo is uncertain, though there's an apparent 'S' cutting verticall through the center of the logo.
This one is simple. "Scion" means "youth". The division was specifically created to try and expand Toyota-designed products to a younger audience....and partially succeded. The xA and xB models are bought not only by youths, but a number of much older persons as well. tC? Yes, that is pretty much a young person's car.

Rei Yoshimara, a world-renowned corporate image-creator, designed the Mazda logo. The 'V' represents wings outstretched.
Specifically, the wings of a sea gull.

The Pontiac logo represents an arrowhead. This logo was introduced in 1958, replacing the Indian Chief head silhouette emblem used since 1928.
Not surprisingly, Pontiac was the name of an Indian tribe. The Indian face and arrowhead symbols did not just appear for nothing.

The Volkswagen logo is simple, but the name has an interesting meaning - in German, it translates as the "Peoples' Car".
If you look closely, you will notice, inside the circle, a "V" on top and a "W" on the bottom. The term "People's Car" was coined by Adolf Hitler in the 1930's after he was so impressed with Henry Ford's Model T and Model A, and the mass-production methods that gave these cars to the American people, that he wanted a similiar cheap, easy-to-service car for the German masses, and picked Dr. Ferdinand Porsche for the project.

The modern Corvette logo is a variation of that designed by Robert Bartholomew (an interior designer at Chevrolet) in 1953. It features two flags, one a checkered flag and the other one featuring to icons, a Chevrolet bowtie logo and a fleur-de-lis. The fleur-de-lis was chosen since Chevrolet was a French name, and a fleur-de-lis is a French symbol meaning peace and purity.
True to some extent, but the main reason that the flags were chosen (especially the checkered flag) was to accentuate the car's sportiness and racing heritage. The Corvette was perhaps the first purely American vehicle designed specifically to be a no-compromise sports car....though it took Chevy a couple of years to get the drivetrain right. The first two model years....1953 and 1954......featured the Stovebolt 6 and a TWO speed automatic transmission. Proper V8's, 3 and 4-speed manuals, and more efficient automatics did not come until Chevy introduced a modern V8 in 1955 and 3-speed automatics in the late 1950's...and the awful two-speed automatics carried on in other GM products until the late 1960's.

The V8's used in Corvettes today, BTW, trace their direct lineage, in one form or another, to those first introduced in 1955...the Chevy short-stroke V8, in small-block and large-block forms, were legendary for their staying power.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-29-07 at 06:18 PM.
Old 09-29-07, 08:18 PM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Regarding the Corvette emblem -

I'm surprised there wasn't mention of how it was originally supposed to be a checkered flag and an American flag. When I visited the Corvette Museum in Kentucky they had it there on display.

Taken from this website the explanation is as follows:

The original Corvette logo was designed by Robert Bartholomew, an interior designer at Chevrolet in 1953. This emblem was destined to appear on the 1953 Corvette prototype which was introduced to the public for the first time at New York's Waldorf-Astoria hotel in January of 1953. It had crossing staffs with the checkered flag on the right hand side, and the American flag on the left hand side. However, four days before the Corvette was to go on display at the show, Chevrolet management decided that it should be redesigned. The problem with the proposed emblem was that it included the American flag which is illegal to use on a commerical product. Right before the show, redesigned emblems were attached to the front hood and steering wheel of the Corvette. The new emblem contained the checkered flag on the right side as well as the white racing flag, red Chevrolet bow-tie symbol and a fleur-de-lis.
Old 09-29-07, 08:49 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

I thought Mitsubishi means "three diamonds" in Japanese? (mitsu is 3 no?)
Old 09-29-07, 09:05 PM
greyBLITZ
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
From the Toyota entry...

rofl
LOL! Absolutely hilarious! I cannot believe that.

Overall a sweet find! Pretty interesting, disappointed that they didn't have Lex though.
Old 09-29-07, 09:41 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

One thing is that Mr. Toyoda's company was switched from Toyoda to Toyota because the character involves 8 strokes, and 8 is a lucky number in many Asian countries.

Furthermore, if the translation does become "an abundance of rice," as the site says in a number of Asian cultures (Chinese) that is a very lucky thing, having a bounty of rice is considered a harbinger of wealth and fortune.
Old 09-29-07, 09:52 PM
greyBLITZ
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You are quite correct, the number 8 sounds similar to "rich" when pronounced in Chinese may be similar to Japanese pronunciation. Also the abundance of rice certainly means wealth as enigma888 mentioned, since being able to have enough rice to eat was one of the most important things back then.

In fact, I really like the story behind the Toyota logo though, being an amalgamation of 3 virtues; sounds like it has a pretty deep meaning. But does anyone think that someone actually developed it upon that basis?
Old 09-29-07, 10:12 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I suspect that most of these badges/corporate logos were first developed in a design studio and THEN the PR department had to wring some kind of cosmic message out of the committee's final selection. Just the way corporations work . . .
Old 09-30-07, 08:03 AM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Nextourer
San is three, iirc.
Old 09-30-07, 11:00 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

It does, as I stated in my original response, but the three diamonds themselves, in Japanese, roughly mean "perfection".
Old 09-30-07, 07:33 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

ohhh I see.

RX_330, hmm.. san.. yeah that does ring a bell... but mmarshall does say it means 3 diamonds.. so.. there's more than one way of saying 3?
Old 09-30-07, 08:10 PM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ohhh I see.

RX_330, hmm.. san.. yeah that does ring a bell... but mmarshall does say it means 3 diamonds.. so.. there's more than one way of saying 3?
Well tons of languages have different ways of saying the same thing.

Quick Reply: Badge Background