Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Seriously, how hard is it to design and engineer brake lights that work

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-07, 10:17 PM
xioix
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do all new cars have that indicator to let people know their tail lights don't work?

How about headlights, those people should be able to tell when they don't work
Old 09-30-07, 10:18 PM
wolverine
Lexus Champion

my moms x5 i change the right brake light bulb every month
Old 10-01-07, 06:41 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by xioix
Do all new cars have that indicator to let people know their tail lights don't work?

How about headlights, those people should be able to tell when they don't work
Nope, not all cars have a bulb failure warning light.
Old 10-01-07, 06:46 PM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
I would have to agree. On the road, I consistently see Benz cars being the worst offenders. Every week, I see several Benz cars with something wrong with the brake lights. I've also seen Fords, Hondas, and Hyundais as being bad offenders as well.

Just the other night I saw a brand-new S550 with the right brake light not working properly.

But hey, it's a Benz right, so people will buy it no matter what. If I had a brand new S550 and the brake lights had problems, I would sell the car and never buy a Benz again. You're paying such high amounts of money that it's inexcusable for the brake lights not to be working, especially if it's a new car.

What wasn't working properly about the brake lights on the S550? Was one brake light brighter than the other while crusing around?
Old 10-01-07, 07:43 PM
Stormwind
Racer

It may be true some cars like Camry have unreliable lights. But a lot of broken tail lights are users fault rather than manufactures, just look at all those people modifing their tail lamps...blacking it out so the light is barely visible, changing to out the bulbs/assembly to questionable aftermarket ricer parts. They all contributes to the complains that you had.

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I am getting a little tired of all the cars, MOST NEW (not older than 5 years) that have brake lights that are just jacked up.

Middle one doesn't work.
Brake lights always on.
Brake lights don't work.
One is on, the others off.
Complete randomness in the brake pattern.

This is DANGEROUS. I almost hit a NEW Sonata b/c 1/2 of one side brake light was working.

The worst offenders seem to be Benzes and OMG, Jaguars. I don't think I've seen an X-type with brakes that work.

Its worse if its raining or foggy. Its dangerous.

Put some DAMN INVESTMENT in making something as important as BRAKE LIGHTS!!!
Old 10-01-07, 07:48 PM
SugarRush
Pit Crew

I saw a lot of VW with dead break lights here, especially the older jetta and golfs and bettles.
Old 10-01-07, 07:49 PM
Stormwind
Racer

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
I would have to agree. On the road, I consistently see Benz cars being the worst offenders. Every week, I see several Benz cars with something wrong with the brake lights. I've also seen Fords, Hondas, and Hyundais as being bad offenders as well.

Just the other night I saw a brand-new S550 with the right brake light not working properly.

Thats a feature on the Benz, probably a required function every car have in Europe. Its a rear fog light that is suppose to light up brighter on one side so they are more visible at night.
Old 10-01-07, 09:18 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mavericck
What wasn't working properly about the brake lights on the S550? Was one brake light brighter than the other while crusing around?
Originally Posted by Stormwind
Thats a feature on the Benz, probably a required function every car have in Europe. Its a rear fog light that is suppose to light up brighter on one side so they are more visible at night.
The right rear light was not on at all first of all, only the left rear light was. This was at night time. Then when the S braked, the right brake indicator light also was not working.

And I don't believe that this is a "feature of all European cars". I have seen plenty of new Benz, Audi, and BMW cars with fully functioning rear lights and brake lights (fully functioning on both sides).
Old 10-01-07, 09:57 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Also note that Mercedes has this feature called "critical bulb" that uses a nearby bulb to substitute a blown bulb if that bulb is needed urgently (e.g. headlight or taillight).