Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

How come Toyota is so slow at releasing new hybrids?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-07, 10:30 PM
LetMeShowU
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How come Toyota is so slow at releasing new hybrids?

With the news lately regarding GM's new Tahoe & Yukon hybrids, it got me thinking about Toyota and how they have been so slow at releasing new hybrid models. I remember reading a press release awhile back which stated by 2010, Toyota planned to have a hybrid option for every model within their lineup (which also included Lexus if I'm not mistaken).

Well, it's almost 2008 and yet we still have:

No Avalon hybrid
No Corolla hybrid
No Matrix hybrid
No Yaris hybrid
No Tacoma hybrid
No Tundra hybrid
No 4Runner hybrid
No FJCruiser hybrid
No Landcruiser hybrid
No Rav4 hybrid
No Sequoia hybrid
No Sienna hybrid
No ES hybrid
No IS hybrid
No SC hybrid
No LX hybrid
No GX hybrid

and then there's the hybrid-less line known as Scion

So the question becomes, what are they waiting for??
It's been a decade since the Prius first went on sale and yet 10 years later, Toyota is still only offering a small handful of hybrids across their lines. Prius sales are excellent and it is quite clear that there is a strong market for hybrid vehicles in general. Toyota is supposed to be leading this technology, yet I'm beginning to get the sense that GM, Ford, etc are starting to gain momentum on them.

Regardless, at this rate I seriously doubt within 2-3 years Toyota/Lexus will offer a hybrid variant for each model. Gas prices are through the roof. They need to step it up are start offering more hybrids or they are going to fall behind the competition
Old 10-01-07, 10:42 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

i think they are waiting for the li-ion battery technology they invested to be fixed and also prepare their assembly line to be able to ramp up hybrid production quickly

that is for both batteries and electric motors

they always want to keep quality as that is their first priority so they are not rushing things for good reason
Old 10-01-07, 10:46 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Toyota still has the largest hybrid lineup of any automaker. How are they behind? It's the competition that is behind and trying to catch up. We just got a new Highlander Hybrid and the LS hybrid. Have some patience for other hybrid variants.
Old 10-01-07, 11:20 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

moreover, toyota/lexus have had some quality issues recently imho due to their quick growth. it's a good time for them to hold back a bit and make sure they provide the same kind of cars they promise

they are still way ahead of hybrid now anyway
Old 10-02-07, 02:32 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Toyota still has the largest hybrid lineup of any automaker. How are they behind? It's the competition that is behind and trying to catch up. We just got a new Highlander Hybrid and the LS hybrid. Have some patience for other hybrid variants.
yeah, its like alternate universe...
Old 10-02-07, 08:34 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think Toyota is being conservative with hybrids because of many factors:

--Cost is much greater, especially with cars that are low-production compard to regular engines (high production cost and lower MSPR = less profit)
--Gas savings perception (Prius, Camry hybrid) versus performance enhancing perception (Highlander hybrid, LS600hL) still not separate. People want the LS600hL to have 40 mpg...
--Environmental factors
--Safety of high-energy batteries
--and finally, because Toyota may make a 4th brand that is dedicated to hybrids only, hence all those cars mentioned will NOT get a hybrid variant.
Old 10-02-07, 09:46 AM
rosskoss
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by UberNoob
i think they are waiting for the li-ion battery technology they invested to be fixed and also prepare their assembly line to be able to ramp up hybrid production quickly

that is for both batteries and electric motors

they always want to keep quality as that is their first priority so they are not rushing things for good reason
There is no Li-ion from Toyota anytime soon. They're going back to NiMH because they claim that Li ion batteries are too dangerous at this point.

GM will however be utilizing li-ion technology from MIT based startup - A123, in the Volt.
Old 10-02-07, 09:59 AM
greyBLITZ
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As we all know, and Phillip mentioned, Toyota is quite conservative. I believe it is due to the fact that hybrid technology is still quite new. If they decide to be the first one to take a step towards it by releasing it on a lot of their vehicles, if something drastic were to happen then there would be HUGE losses.

Also since the technology is so new, the first one to take it is the guinea pig. I think for Toyota to take it slowly is a good idea. Let the other boys risk their name and reputation and time to make the hybrid technology, then all Toyota has to do is get a hold of one, make it better than the original and then success!
Old 10-02-07, 10:24 AM
xioix
Racer

Capacity constraint might play a role in it, they can't offer more hybrid models, if they can't build it somewhere
Old 10-02-07, 10:37 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
--and finally, because Toyota may make a 4th brand that is dedicated to hybrids only, hence all those cars mentioned will NOT get a hybrid variant.
I don't think thats true. While they may indeed make a new line dedicated to hybrids, people will still look to Toyota for hybrid versions of their favorite cars. Can't you see a Sequoia hybrid being tough competition to the Tahoe?

Anyway, Lexus needs to hurry up with the IS hybrid. My dad's lease runs out in a little more than a year and thats what he really wants.
Old 10-02-07, 11:18 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Anyway, Lexus needs to hurry up with the IS hybrid. My dad's lease runs out in a little more than a year and thats what he really wants.
Check it out:

IS hybrid info...
Old 10-02-07, 11:44 AM
100plus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LetMeShowU
Well, it's almost 2008 and yet we still have:

No Avalon hybrid
No Corolla hybrid
No Matrix hybrid
No Yaris hybrid
No Tacoma hybrid
No Tundra hybrid
No 4Runner hybrid
No FJCruiser hybrid
No Landcruiser hybrid
No Rav4 hybrid
No Sequoia hybrid
No Sienna hybrid
No ES hybrid
No IS hybrid
No SC hybrid
No LX hybrid
No GX hybrid

and then there's the hybrid-less line known as Scion

Well Toyota can't just stick in batteries into those cars and call it a hybrid. Those batteries take up a large amount of space except for the RX400h, they also need to factor in weight and parts that will work with it. As far as I know the Corolla,Yaris and all of Scions lineup are VERY fuel efficient w/o the hybrid system. I say let Toyota take the time needed to develop a more efficient battery that doesnt kill space.
Old 10-02-07, 12:52 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexHiD
I say let Toyota take the time needed to develop a more efficient battery that doesnt kill space.
And in the mean time, keep workin on the hybrid Sienna. Be the first to offer the hybrid mini van.
Old 10-02-07, 02:10 PM
LetMeShowU
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LexHiD
Well Toyota can't just stick in batteries into those cars and call it a hybrid. Those batteries take up a large amount of space except for the RX400h, they also need to factor in weight and parts that will work with it. As far as I know the Corolla,Yaris and all of Scions lineup are VERY fuel efficient w/o the hybrid system. I say let Toyota take the time needed to develop a more efficient battery that doesnt kill space.
I can never quite understand this argument. Just because the Corolla, Yaris, & Scions are all "very fuel efficient" w/o the hybrid system does not mean that they couldn't benefit greatly from using the system. Yes, they may all get up in the neighborhood of 35-40mpg as is, but wouldn't it be even better if they were getting 50-60mpg+ with a hybrid system?

It's like those who argue why we even need cars with a hybrid system in the first place when diesels receive the same if not better fuel efficiency than hybrids. Why does it have to be one or the other when it can be both? The hybrid technology is not limited to petrol - its main purpose is to lighten the burden of just *one* energy source. Petrol/electric, diesel/electric, hydro/electric, etc, are all potentially very 'energy efficient' vehicles and IMO should be explored equally and across all model lines, regardless of their existing fuel efficiency.

I just don't think as consumers we should be satisfied that these existing compact vehicles are getting 30-40mpg when the potential is there today for even greater fuel efficiency. Toyota can spread their existing hybrid tech to the Corolla, ES, Yaris, etc, and they could all be huge volume sellers. If it works well in the Prius and the Camry, it can work just as well in the Corolla & the ES.
Old 10-02-07, 02:24 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Originally Posted by LetMeShowU
I can never quite understand this argument. Just because the Corolla, Yaris, & Scions are all "very fuel efficient" w/o the hybrid system does not mean that they couldn't benefit greatly from using the system. Yes, they may all get up in the neighborhood of 35-40mpg as is, but wouldn't it be even better if they were getting 50-60mpg+ with a hybrid system?
Not when a $15k car starts costing $20k. It would be very bad for the Corolla to start climbing towards Camry pricing, as well as getting as heavy as a Camry. Same goes for Scions creeping to the $20k mark...

Quick Reply: How come Toyota is so slow at releasing new hybrids?