Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Blind People Upset With Hybrids

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-10, 01:44 PM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Stupid.........
Old 12-15-10, 07:47 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Originally Posted by memasterac
I believe sooner or later it'll be the law to require "added sound" to these quite vehicles. I do agree where to draw the line is very important though...
sooner or later? it already passed the senate and is expected to pass the house.

this is beyond stupid. how about just giving blind people a device which will detect 2 ton objects coming toward them?
Old 12-16-10, 09:31 AM
memasterac
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don’t think it’s stupid. Why stupid? Stupid the law or stupid the blind people can’t see and hear a two ton object is coming?

Try to wear patches/eyeshade for a day & walk around the streets. It’ll help you to see the flipside of a story.
Old 12-16-10, 07:08 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I believe sooner or later it'll be the law to require "added sound" to these quite vehicles. I do agree where to draw the line is very important though...
and sooner or later there will be aftermarket mods to take the "added sound" out!
Old 12-17-10, 01:00 PM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Post House

The House of Representatives passed a bill today to require minimum sound levels to be emitted from quiet electric and hybrid vehicles, in order to help warn blind pedestrians. Last week the same measure unanimously cleared the Senate. It is the 1st piece of legislation pertaining to auto safety passed under President Obama.

Sen. John Kerry, D-Mass., the chief sponsor of the bill and a hybrid owner, said it “will allow us to continue to promote our energy independence and technological innovation while safeguarding those who use senses other than sight to navigate the roads.”

Under the bill, the NHTSA will be required to establish requirements for an alert sound that will allow blind pedestrians to reasonably detect a nearby hybrid or electric vehicle operating at low speeds. The legislation is fully supported by the Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers and the Association of International Automobile Manufacturers.

Currently, the Nissan Leaf and Chevy Volt are equipped with mechanisms that alert pedestrians, though it was not required of them.
Old 12-17-10, 01:01 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

special interests
Old 12-17-10, 03:19 PM
ferdinan
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In an ideal and perfect world this should be the case but unfortunately our roads are filled with many irresponsible drivers who don't obey the law. Many drivers don't care to slow down when pedestrians use the pedestrian crossings here in San Francisco.

I agree, these laws are getting silly but if driving behavior doesn't change then there is no much we can do.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
As I see it, it is the driver's responsibility to see and avoid hitting pedestrians...blind or not. If the driver sees a blind person (or any other person) start to walk in front of his car at the wrong time, a quick toot of the horn should send an adequate warning (and, of course, if the car is moving, be ready to hit the brakes if necessary...that goes without saying).
Old 12-18-10, 07:12 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
this is beyond stupid. how about just giving blind people a device which will detect 2 ton objects coming toward them?
I'm with you to some extent.......those two-ton devices already have horns on them, but, as some posters have pointed out, many drivers don't use them. That's part of the problem.

Try to wear patches/eyeshade for a day & walk around the streets. It’ll help you to see the flipside of a story.
Agreed. There's two sides of the story. The best solution, IMO, is to simply have overpasses or tunnels for handicapped people so that they don't have to mix with much traffic........but may jurisdictions either can't or won't spend the extra money for them. It's also difficult or unfeasonable to do that, for engineering reasons, in very crowded areas.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-18-10 at 07:18 AM.