Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Honda and Lexus Seek to Create New Dedicated Hybrids

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-07, 11:30 AM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Honda and Lexus Seek to Create New Dedicated Hybrids

There's no denying that hybrid cars, SUVs and trucks are hot these days. Environmental concern, the rising price of fuel and the image associated with a hybrid have helped to shift these fuel misers to the top of many peoples' shopping lists more quickly than most initially expected, not to mention the advancement of associated technologies. New battery technologies plus the advancement of the plug-in hybrids also helped to spur interest. And just when many brands have started to offer hybrid versions of vehicles that were previously just gasoline powered, such as the Chevrolet Malibu Hybrid and Chrysler Aspen Two-Mode Hybrid joining the already popular Ford Escape Hybrid and Camry Hybrid, the market has signaled a return of the hybrid vehicle in its most original form. The first hybrids, the Toyota Prius and Honda Insight, were dedicated designs, offered only as hybrids, allowing their owners immediately noticeable green credentials. Now, Toyota’s subsidiary Lexus, and Honda have begun work on bringing this type of vehicle back.

Read Full Article
Old 10-04-07, 11:39 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Toyota and Honda do need to bring back "pure" hybrids that is made for gas-efficiency instead of power gains.

The main concern is the efficiency and longetivity of the batteries, as well as the cost. If those can be optimized even more than the current Prius, then that would definately be a success!
Old 10-04-07, 11:46 AM
carguy101
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"The latest offering is expected to be in the “D-Segment”, which would place it between the IS and the GS in terms of size. Steve Settle of Lexus UK remarked that the vehicle will focus more on current hybrid issues, such as interior space and quality, plus trunk space rather than styling."

Interesting. Basically they're saying function over form. Funky styling like the Prius then? Also, will it use the IS/GS platform? What about engine? 3.5L GR V6 like the GS450h?
Old 10-04-07, 11:49 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The problem I have with today's hybrids is that none of them are diesels. A diesel hybrid would absolutely kill the competition in terms of fuel mileage... why is nobody doing it??
Old 10-04-07, 11:54 AM
rosskoss
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Emissions.
Old 10-04-07, 12:44 PM
xioix
Racer

Originally Posted by Threxx
The problem I have with today's hybrids is that none of them are diesels. A diesel hybrid would absolutely kill the competition in terms of fuel mileage... why is nobody doing it??
Goto Japan and get a Hino Ranger
Old 10-04-07, 01:14 PM
Trexus

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Toyota and Honda do need to bring back "pure" hybrids that is made for gas-efficiency instead of power gains.

The main concern is the efficiency and longetivity of the batteries, as well as the cost. If those can be optimized even more than the current Prius, then that would definately be a success!
I definitely agree with you. I'm sure Toyota is already working on a 100mpg hydrid and a diesel hybrid wouldn't hurt either...
Old 10-04-07, 02:16 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Cost

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Everything Ive read and testimonies of people I knew have led me to believe that battery life is not a problem at all. I have read that there were some "lemons" out there, but you get those with laptop computers as well and they were replaced under warranty so now worries.
Old 10-04-07, 02:33 PM
LetMeShowU
Pole Position

I agree 100%

I know MB & Peugeot are looking to put out diesel hybrids within the next 2 years, so that should be interesting. The S-Class hybrid is supposed to get somewhere in the neighborhood of 44mpg, which is very impressive. The system is supposed to use a 4-cylinder though, which is a bit unusual for a vehicle of that size. But if sufficient power is there, it doesn't really matter.

Some people seem to think that luxury cars shouldn't have anything less than a 6 cylinder, but that's pretty silly. I think Lexus in particular seems to not want to put a 4 cylinder engine in their lineup. Instead they've been using V6s and V8s for their hybrids, which is proving to not really give the same gas mileage as a 4 cylinder could.

For example, I think offering an ES hybrid with a V6 would be utterly ridiculous. It would offer way too much performance than is needed in such a vehicle. I understand the implementation of using it in the GS & LS hybrids as they seem more focussed on power/performance than fuel consumption, but to use that same philosophy on more family-oriented vehicles as the ES, would be a mistake IMO.

I hope if and when Lexus puts out their dedicated hybrid and possibly an ES hybrid, that they do the smart thing and use a 4-cylinder as a starting point. Leave the high-performance stuff to the GS/IS/LS models.
Old 10-04-07, 02:47 PM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

co2/km output is a lot higher. sure we can save more gas, but we're not polluting the least.
Old 10-04-07, 02:50 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

few reasons:

1. Price: diesel adds $3k-$4k to the price of petrol car.
2. Refinement: constant on/off is much jerkier in diesel, plus diesel engines have more issues with getting warmed up. I am not sure anyone solved this already. Constant clatter would be more noticable in hybrid car. Smooth transitions between modes are currently impossible.
3. Enviroment: diesels are not a clean as petrol cars.
4. Reliability: dieses are not reliable as petrol cars.

They will come, eventually, but they are still way, way off.
Old 10-04-07, 02:53 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
few reasons:

1. Price: diesel adds $3k-$4k to the price of petrol car.
It might in some cases add 3-4k to the price, but I don't think the cost to the manufacturer is that high in addition to the gas motor they're replacing. Unless of course you're talking about the more heavy duty diesels such as seen in 3/4 and 1 ton trucks

2. Refinement: constant on/off is much jerkier in diesel, plus diesel engines have more issues with getting warmed up. I am not sure anyone solved this already. Constant clatter would be more noticable in hybrid car.
True, but let's face it - if you're driving a little light weight fuel economy centered car you've already pretty much agreed to compromise somewhat for the sake of fuel economy.

3. Enviroment: diesels are not a clean as petrol cars.
Yep. But that should be resolved by most manufacturers here within the next year or two if not already. There's plenty of fuel economy centered diesels on their way out shortly - just none (yet) with hybrid systems piggy backed)

4. Reliability: dieses are not reliable as petrol cars.
I have no idea where you got that "fact" from but it's generally untrue. Diesels are generally bulletproof motors. Think to what you see running millions of miles in commercial vehicles, or pretty much the only motor you'd ever want to depend on in a Mercedes - all diesels.
Old 10-04-07, 06:02 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

spwolf: Diesels are very solid engines and reliable from what I know.

Threxx: Trust me, I gave up nothing when I got the Prius. Ok I lied, I gave up a Corolla LE =P. It's bigger inside than the Corolla, more cargo space, more flexible, better fuel economy, lower emissions, waaay more toys. The only thing that's "worse" is a narrower tyre (185 vs 195 on the Corolla LE) and a smaller engine (not a big deal since the electric motors supplement it).
Old 10-04-07, 06:47 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Nextourer
Threxx: Trust me, I gave up nothing when I got the Prius. Ok I lied, I gave up a Corolla LE =P. It's bigger inside than the Corolla, more cargo space, more flexible, better fuel economy, lower emissions, waaay more toys. The only thing that's "worse" is a narrower tyre (185 vs 195 on the Corolla LE) and a smaller engine (not a big deal since the electric motors supplement it).
The Corolla is already a pretty spartan car and a small/cheap car at that - so I wouldn't expect the Prius to give up anything to it except a higher price tag, which is a compromise in and of itself for hybrid buyers.
Old 10-04-07, 07:07 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

The Corolla is already a pretty spartan car and a small/cheap car at that - so I wouldn't expect the Prius to give up anything to it except a higher price tag, which is a compromise in and of itself for hybrid buyers.
Maybe in the US but in Canada, a loaded LE is $24k.

Power moonroof, TPMS, Leather seat surfaces, chrome interior door handle + vent *****, side/side curtain airbags, foglights, ABS w/EBD, rear centre headrests, UV cut glass, wood trim, electroluminescent gauges (and at one point, free CD Changer). It's anything but spartan imo.

Ok a basic CE is pretty spartan (my friend has one.. the only option on his car is an automatic. Power mirrors is standard but nothing else, not even A/C).

Quick Reply: Honda and Lexus Seek to Create New Dedicated Hybrids