Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Daimler :Mercedes Benz is back

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-07, 10:55 PM
Stormwind
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Daimler :Mercedes Benz is back

All I can say is YAY.

Daimler: Mercedes-Benz Is Back
All it took was one shareholders' meeting for DaimlerChrysler to get a fresh start and new identity. DaimlerChrysler AG shareholders overwhelmingly voted to change the company's name to Daimler AG. Over 98% of shareholders were in favor of the measure, seen as a way of distancing the company from a disastrous $36 billion merger in 1998 with Chrysler.

Chrysler was sold off to private equity firm Cerebrus Capital Management in August 2007 for roughly $6 billion.

Additionally, CEO Dieter Zetsche told shareholders that Daimler AG's first order of business was to rename its passenger car division Mercedes-Benz Cars, once again honoring Carl Friedrich Benz. Benz's company combined with Gottlieb Daimler in 1926, but the Chrysler merger saw his name dropped from the car's branding.

"The proud name of Benz will not only remain prominent, it will have significantly higher visibility," Zetsche said.

The announcement comes on the heels of strong business news for both Mercedes and its parent company. Selling a record 124,600 vehicles, thanks in part to the new C-Class sedan, Mercedes showed a growth of 7.4% in total sales. Mercedes also saw an increase in sales during August, and has seen an overall year-to-year increase of nearly 1% to 942,300 vehicles sold, according to Daimler LLC. Smart also saw a hefty sales increase, with monthly sales jumping up 11.2%, on the introduction of the Smart ForTwo.

Old 10-04-07, 11:33 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sweet! Now they can build cars "like they used to"
Old 10-05-07, 12:11 AM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Definatly a good move... The merger in 98 was the "WTF!" of the decade.
Old 10-05-07, 05:49 AM
MadDawg350
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nextourer
Lets hope they do.
Old 10-05-07, 10:38 AM
Lex5150
Driver School Candidate

Interesting. I guess a winner and a loser doesn't make a winner. Then again I guess we all knew that.
Old 10-05-07, 02:39 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I hope they build them better than they used to. We had a 95 C280, that's well before the merger and that car was crap. All the models were crap. The trouble started before the merger and I believe will continue long after. Only one thing will make Benz improve the reliability of their cars.....when people stop buying.....and that hasn't happened yet. People buy them for status symbols and treat the multiple service visits like a visit to the country club.
Old 10-05-07, 11:14 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by reggiek
I hope they build them better than they used to. We had a 95 C280, that's well before the merger and that car was crap. All the models were crap. The trouble started before the merger and I believe will continue long after. Only one thing will make Benz improve the reliability of their cars.....when people stop buying.....and that hasn't happened yet. People buy them for status symbols and treat the multiple service visits like a visit to the country club.
then go farther back with the "used to"?? hahaha.
Old 10-06-07, 01:09 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

They should just call themselves Daimler-Benz AG like in the old days. But at least they let Mopar go
Old 10-06-07, 09:49 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

I've seen the new C-Class commercials and they do seem pretty serious. A
1-minute segment shows the extensive testing a development that went into the new C. The future finally looks promising for MB.
Old 10-06-07, 11:27 AM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Top Speed or Top Gear or w/e the show was, talked about how their quality cars ended in around '87, and from years on after they turned to crap.
Old 10-06-07, 05:00 PM
BigVIPness
The Green Grundel

My 1986 420SEL (W126) has 220,000 miles on it and is still rock solid. The last handbuilt mercedes. They should start making them like they used to.

Plus the bottom of the chain C280 from the dark era of mercedes benz (1990~2002) is far when they "made them like they used to." They have a 99 CLK430 and a 2000 E320. They both drive like benz's but they are kinda turds. When mercedes was doing all the cost cutting to keep the prices competitive the quality of the cars suffered. They still build one hell of a car though.

EDIT: PS - I've driving the C300 and C350 sport back to back and took a C300 luxury out for a while. They are VERY nice cars. I was very, very suprised.
Old 10-06-07, 05:39 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

MB quality started declining even before the merger with chrysler
Old 10-06-07, 09:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
MB quality started declining even before the merger with chrysler
Correct. The quality drop actually started in the early-to-mid 1990s when the company started facing steep competition from Lexus....less so from Infiniti. Mercedes was forced to cut costs in a country (Germany) where organized labor would not allow wage or benefit cuts, so the quality of the materials that went into their vehicles took a hit instead.....and more and more of them became lemons.

Ironically, however, the quality of the Mercedes unibody frame, for crashworthiness, has NOT taken a cut....for all their other problems, M-B, along with Volvo, still produces some of the safest, strongest, most crashworthy vehicles in the world.
Old 10-06-07, 11:22 PM
Stormwind
Racer

Originally Posted by mmarshall

Ironically, however, the quality of the Mercedes unibody frame, for crashworthiness, has NOT taken a cut....for all their other problems, M-B, along with Volvo, still produces some of the safest, strongest, most crashworthy vehicles in the world.

They've never cut corners on safety from day 1. They cut corners on things like cd players, leather seats, and other cosmetic things that are very visible but still puts in all the money into safety. Once you get in it's felt right away how sturdy the car is.
Old 10-07-07, 05:28 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Ramon
Definatly a good move... The merger in 98 was the "WTF!" of the decade.
Give me a reason to like em again. Its funny whenever I like MB, I don't really care for BMW. Now I love BMW but don't care for MB. Hmmm..