Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2008 Accord vs 2008 RL

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-07, 08:17 AM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Accord looks better than the RL to me.

The only drawback is that it is FWD.
Old 10-07-07, 11:09 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have never been impressed by the RL.
Old 10-07-07, 11:26 AM
silversprucesc3
Lexus Champion

I have about 5k miles in the seat of the RL and have sat in the new accord. I agree that the accord is a nice vehicle however it is NOT an RL!!

The RL is too subtle in its design cues and does everything well albeit stellar in few... the RL interior is superb. My brother traded the RL for the 2007 S class and both he and I miss the RL interior. Its just functional.
The RL described was black on black with wood shifter and steering wheel. I agree that the normal RL interior is not as classy as the wood wheel/shifter combo...

The all wheel drive system in the RL is great in the winter although the drivetrain is in need of a V8
Old 10-07-07, 11:31 AM
silversprucesc3
Lexus Champion

Anyone have any pics or chops of an accord with tints, dropped on 20"s It may have a sleeper look hooked up.
Old 10-07-07, 02:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by silversprucesc3
The all wheel drive system in the RL is great in the winter although the drivetrain is in need of a V8
A V8 wouldn't hurt, but the existing V6 has plenty of power for all normal (and sane) driving. The "need" for more and more cylinders is often exaggerated.
Old 10-07-07, 02:04 PM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

My uncle has an RL, there are some things that pics just can't show when comparing cars.
RL definetly worth it over the accord. Just comparing power is not enough (when will hp figures stop going up?)
Old 10-07-07, 02:07 PM
silversprucesc3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
A V8 wouldn't hurt, but the existing V6 has plenty of power for all normal (and sane) driving. The "need" for more and more cylinders is often exaggerated.
true.... but this market segment seems to advocate HP... Even Lexus uses power to "sell".. I also drove the RL and at times it seemed to be lacking torque. My thought was the all wheel drive system "saps" power.
Old 10-07-07, 02:12 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If I had the money I'd pay the extra $20K for the RL. I think it is a much better car. Better interior, I actually slightly like the more refined and understated look of the RL. SH-AWD. The Accord though is a great alternative to those that don't want to spend the extra money or can't afford it.

If this is how good the new gen Accord is, I'm hopeful the redesigned RL in a few years to come will step it up a notch. Looks promising as Honda/Acura is starting to head back in the right direction and coming out with some pretty good cars again.
Old 10-07-07, 02:53 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Agreed, horsepower generally lends to bragging rights though there is always more important items under the skin. Q45 had 340hp and still could not out accelerate a LS430 with 290hp. The current RL is just about right. So many seem concerned if their car is faster than another yet how often is that used? The RL has plenty of ponies for most anything.
Old 10-07-07, 03:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by silversprucesc3
true.... but this market segment seems to advocate HP... Even Lexus uses power to "sell".. I also drove the RL and at times it seemed to be lacking torque. My thought was the all wheel drive system "saps" power.
AWD does, indeed, sap power and mileage, all other things being equal....it is especially noticeable on the IS250 AWD as opposed to other Lexus FWD or RWD models. It is also noticeable on AWD systems with small four-cylinders, like the RAV-4, CR-V, and some Subarus. But, IMO, the traction and stability gains are worth it....even in some non-winter conditions.

The RL, as you note, does lack some torque and response, compared to some of its RWD competition at Lexus and Infiniti. But, again, there is enough power for anything you would need short, of Friday night drag-races, and, everything else equal, the RL will get you through conditions that would have RWD cars spinning out or stuck. The RL's SH feature for the AWD, with its ability to automatically shift torque to inside or outside wheels as cornering forces dictate, and not just front-to-back, helps it with dry-weather cornering as well.
Old 10-07-07, 04:14 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

AWD does, indeed, sap power and mileage, all other things being equal....it is especially noticeable on the IS250 AWD as opposed to other Lexus FWD or RWD models.
Well it does depend on the AWD system too. Subaru and Audi have been at it long enough that their vehicles offer pretty decent mileage for an AWD powertrain. I consistenly get 32 mpg on my 3 hour trip between home and Penn State, through mountains and all.
Old 10-07-07, 05:00 PM
slawek65
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

RL price it's not 20K over Accord. You can buy new RL for 40-42K so it's 10-12K over Accord and I think it's worth every penny.
Old 10-07-07, 07:47 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by slawek65
RL price it's not 20K over Accord. You can buy new RL for 40-42K so it's 10-12K over Accord and I think it's worth every penny.

I agree. Its worth the extra $10k-12k, especially once you factor in all the goodies you get, and the fine build quality. Even though the Accord V6 will be quicker, I'm willing to sacrifice a bit of speed for some luxury.
Old 10-07-07, 07:55 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by GSteg
I agree. Its worth the extra $10k-12k, especially once you factor in all the goodies you get, and the fine build quality. Even though the Accord V6 will be quicker, I'm willing to sacrifice a bit of speed for some luxury.
Well overwhelmingly, the market doesn't want to pay.

Old 10-07-07, 08:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Well overwhelmingly, the market doesn't want to pay.
Well, it's true that we're not talking Camry or Accord sales numbers here, but though I don't have the latest exact figures (you and Andrew will probably have and post them soon enough anyway), I notice a sharp increase in the number of new RL's in my area in the last 6 months or so. The word's starting to get out.

Quick Reply: 2008 Accord vs 2008 RL