Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6 Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-07, 05:35 AM
shyguy16
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good review but i have several gripes with it, you include too much subjective opinions in the plus and minus sides. and these 2 in particular should not even be included as all you are doing is speculating based on previous models which has absolutely nothing to do with an all new model; "Consistantly above average reliability record of previous Accords bodes well for this one" and "High theft rate of Accords."

Supply (as of this writing) grossly lags demand....possible price gouging.
ugly steering wheel
Awkward-looking outside door handles
Exterior sedan styling easily confused with current Hyundai Sonata ....coupe somewhat less so.
Old 10-08-07, 05:48 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Horsepower, all else equal, is more of an indication of a vehicle's top speed; torque, its acceleration.
Horsepower and torque are the exact same measurement once adjusted for RPM - give me the torque rating at a given RPM and I can give you the horsepower rating at that same RPM, and vice versa. Having both ratings is really unnecessary. If car companies just wanted to provide the public with a single torque or horsepower curve across the RPM band it would be infinitely more helpful than two isolated peak power figures.
If the EX has between 5 and 13 more horsepower available in the RPM range that would be used in a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear WOT run, then it should accelerate more quickly at all WOT speeds, unless its extra weight makes up for that. Not to mention the 13hp difference could also be superficial - maybe they all have more like 190 horsepower and Honda just quote the EX higher, kinda like GM quoted the LS1/5th gen Corvette at 350 while quoting the LS1 F-body models with the exact same motor at only 305 horsepower.

But, as to why the two versions have a 13 HP difference and only 1 ft-lb. torque difference, albeit it a different RPM's, I don't know.....I don't have a definite answer to that. As you note, the specs are otherwise virtually identical except for the fact that the 190 HP version has Active Noise Cancelling and the 177 HP version doesn't...but I don't see how that would affect power. And all Accord engines have recommended 87 Octane. You would probably have to ask a Honda engineer.
That really just tells me that by the RPM that the torque output is quoted at, the EX (unless it peaks up a bit relative to the LX and then back down) doesn't feel much/any different in acceleration by and below that RPM. So possibly the LX and EX have near identical around town acceleration characteristics until you take them both WOT. I don't know why a more opened up exhaust would raise the redline unless it's something just superficial that Honda could have done on the LX but wanted to give people that much more reason to get the EX? Could also be something with the valvetrain that allows it to spin more freely.

The ANC could be there to counteract that noise, or could just be an extra benefit of the EX to make it quieter inside. Though the V6 Auto I drove had ANC and still didn't seem particularly quiet inside to me once highway speeds were reached... so ANC might not help much with wind noise.

It certainly wasn't physically noticeable on the automatic V6 I had.....the drivetrain was too silky for that. The only indication that the cylinder deactivation was in operation was a green "ECO" light under the tach that goes on and off imperceptably.
Right - but there are quite a few engineering tricks involved to mask the shock, which, while it isn't horrible, is bad enough that no manufacturer dares to put it on a manual transmission equipped vehicle for fear of consumer gripes and groans.

Last edited by Threxx; 10-08-07 at 05:51 AM.
Old 10-08-07, 08:48 AM
rosskoss
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If only the car's exterior design wasn't so ugly.
Old 10-08-07, 09:13 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Though I respect the opinion of the writer, I have a hard time believing that a nose heavy car can handle like a nicely balanced car like a bmw etc.
Old 10-08-07, 10:57 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by shyguy16
Good review but i have several gripes with it, you include too much subjective opinions in the plus and minus sides. and these 2 in particular should not even be included as all you are doing is speculating based on previous models which has absolutely nothing to do with an all new model; "Consistantly above average reliability record of previous Accords bodes well for this one" and "High theft rate of Accords."

ugly steering wheel
Awkward-looking outside door handles
Exterior sedan styling easily confused with current Hyundai Sonata ....coupe somewhat less so.
True, but when I review a car I can only put my own opinions....not someone else's, and I try and be more objective and complete than those newspaper reviews...they are awful.

The PLUSSES and MINUSES, the way I see it, are not just good and bad things about the vehicle and its design, but good and bad things that a prospective buyer or owner is likely to encounter....such as shortages and possible price-gouging on this high-demand, low-supply car. At one time (back in the 1980's) with the import-car quotas, buying ANY Accord was an excercising in price gouging and arrogant dealerships. That, for the most part, has changed, and those days are gone, at least for the sedans. Prospective Accord owners can also, for the most part, expect better-than-average reliability.

Feel free to post your own reviews when you get a chance.....I welcome other opinions.
Old 10-08-07, 11:02 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jwong77
Though I respect the opinion of the writer, I have a hard time believing that a nose heavy car can handle like a nicely balanced car like a bmw etc.
You're correct. that at the extreme limits there will probably be a noticeable difference, especially in getting the tail to slide out, but, First, most people don't drive that way...it can be dangerous on public roads, and, Second, in the moderately hard conditions I was giving it, there was little noticeable difference. Honda, with the steering, tires, and suspension of this particular vehicle (not necessarily the sedan) has done a great job for the moderately sporting driver. The power steering comes closer to a German BMW feel than any other Japanese car in its class.

Like I mentioned earlier, for those who want a report of a car's behavior at the limits, my reviews are not the best source...you would probably be better off reading Car and Driver or Road and Track. They keep a car longer than I do, have cars that are already broken-in and can be redlined, and often actually test it on the track. I do write-ups primarily to describe the vehicle's overall competence, its value for the money, and what the average driver is likely to encounter in everyday conditions....not to get 0-60 times or skidpad figures. And many people seem to like them...I get a lot of requests.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-08-07 at 11:08 AM.
Old 10-08-07, 11:30 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I do write-ups primarily to describe the vehicle's overall competence, its value for the money, and what the average driver is likely to encounter in everyday conditions...
And that is why I love your reviews...
Old 10-15-07, 02:56 PM
Tadpanas
Driver School Candidate

Default favour coupe

A review of the new, redesigned 2008 Accord EX-L V6 coupe.

http://automobiles.honda.com/accord-coupe/

In a Nutshell: The best drivers' Accord yet........and competitive with some BMWs.

This new Accord coupe, especially V6 models, seem, even brand-new, to have a lot of potential appeal.......I received a number of requests, both publically and privately, to review this car. And I apologize for the wait.......I planned it for a couple of weeks ago, but just finding an available, untaken one has been a chore....even with the people in the sales buisness that I already know. In fact, most of the ones on order have already been pre-sold, in some cases sight unseen, before they are even shipped. Well, finally, an untaken EX-L V6 coupe came into a local Honda shop (automatic....we're still waiting for manuals) and I went up to see it. Well, when I got there, it had been moved to a local college campus for a big, multi-dealership auto show/credit union sale and was being used as a company demo. So I hopped back into in my Subaru, made the short 15-minute trip to the campus, found the Honda display and the gray coupe with ivory beige interior, and sat around chatting with the Honda people while a couple of young guys in front of me took it (with a salesperson aboard, of course) around the campus on a pre-determined route and came back about 10 minutes later.
Then it was my turn. Luck was with me.....No one else, at the moment, was waiting. That gave me some time to examine the exterior, interior, and general assembly quality, take down the info from the price sticker, grab a brochure, and record some notes. The dealership had phoned ahead and told them I was coming, and when they found out I was a freelance auto writer and did CL write-ups, they immediately offered me a long enough test-drive for a good review.....not just a couple of minutes of stop-and go, 20 MPH stuff around the campus. So I thanked them for their generosity, showed them my license (they didn't even Xerox it like they usually do..they trusted me, an almost complete stranger), took it out on the local highways, and gave it a thorough enough test-drive for a review....not getting carried away, of course, as I knew that others were waiting behind me, and I didn't want to take too much advantage of Honda's generosity.

The Accord's history is so well-known (since 1976) throughout the auto world that I'm not going to waste time and space here covering it in detail, like I do with most car reviews. There is no need to. Many, if not most of you, are aware of the car's enormous popularity (at least in sedan form), high theft rate, ubiquitous rental-car image, good reliability record, and the sedan, coupe, and wagon body styles of the past. That, friends, was the Accord.....the archtypical Japanese mid-sized car, in whatever flavor you wanted......even aftermarket-slammed and customized versions for the caps-on-backwards crowd.

Only the latest 2008 Accord is not quite so mid-sized any more, as we'll see in the review below. The latest model is suprisingly big.....not only the sedan, but even the roughly 4-inch shorter coupe. You will notice this car's bulk...you could take the original U.S. market 1976 Accord (I still remember it well) and just about stick it in this car's trunk. And this car has refinement, convienence features, and overall sophistication that would make the first-generation Accord seem like a roller skate in comparison.

So, enough of the story of how I found it. Let's get on with the review.

Model Reviewed: 2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6 Automatic Coupe

Base price: $28,310

Major Options: None

Destination: $635

List Price as Reviewed: $28,945

Exterior Color: Polished Metal Metallic (in other words, medium gray)

Interior: Ivory Leather

Drivetrain: FWD, Transverse-mounted, 3.5L SOHC i-VTEC V6, 268 HP @ 6200 RPM, 248 ft-lbs. torque @ 5000 RPM (typical Honda peakiness),
5-speed automatic transmission.

PLUSSES:

Superlative, BMW-like power steering.

Butter-smooth, quiet, refined, powerful (but peaky) V6.

Smooth, refined transmission and shifter.

First-rate exterior fit/finish and hardware.

Near-perfect exterior mirror snap.

Well-designed brakes and brake pedal.

No-nonsense, no ziz-zag, well-designed, fore-and-aft transmission shifter.

Comfortable front seats.

Excellent paint job.

Typical Honda clarity of controls and switches.

Precise handling feel with lack of body roll.

Swiss-watch precision assembly quality.

Honda drivetrain warranty now 5 years/60,000 miles and competitive with other manufacturers.

Well-finished trunk.

Consistantly above average reliability record of previous Accords bodes well for this one.

Nice exterior paint colors (but too many restrictions).

Numerous standard safety features.

V6 engine runs on regular gas....and shuts down 3 cylinders at light loads for economy.

MINUSES:

Old-fashioned ignition key with no push-button or twist-**** start.

No apparant (?) Manumatic or Sport-Shift feature for the automatic.

Rear-seat headroom inadequate for tall adults....legroom marginal.

Too many paint color restrictions between coupe and sedan.

Design of V6 hides too many engine components.

Rather stiff ride over bumps.

Functional but (IMO) ugly steering wheel.

No wood trim for coupe.....available only in ivory-interior EX sedan.

Tinny hood.

Flimsy-feeling glove compartment and lock.

Some interior hardware and interior fit/finish not quite up to previous Accords.

Awkward-looking outside door handles.

High theft rate of Accords.

Compact spare tire.

Poor visibility out rear side windows.

As I hinted at above, the first impression you get when you walk up to the new Accord, coupe or sedan, is that of its sheer size. It is not a Town Car or Maybach in length, but it is clearly larger than the car it replaces.....to the point where it is stretching it to call it a mid-sized car, by today's standards. Even the 4-inch shorter coupe gives a good impression of sheer size.

The next thing you clearly notice is the rather strong look-alike to the current-generation Hyundai Sonata in styling....front and rear in the Accord sedan, and, of course, front only in the coupe. The similiarity in the grilles, headlights, hood tapering, and (in the sedan), deck lid and tailights, is striking. I hear a lot of complaints about Hyundai copying the styling of other manufacturers, especially Honda. This time it is clearly the other way around.

There are some differences, though. The Accord's headlight lenses bulge out a little more on the sides than the Sonata's, and the Accord sedan's C-Pillars are shaped more like those of an old Infiniti Q45. The coupe's C-pillars, roofline, trunk lid, and taillights are radically different from the sedan's, which is not the case with other coupe/sedan variations (like the Infiniti G35 cousins, for example). Overall, I like the look of both the sedan and coupe, which IMO is a big step forward from recent Accords, though I don't like the way that the coupe's rear beltline and roofline obstruct vision out the rear windows. I guess It is just a natural that, overall, I would like the new styling, as I like the similiar styling on the Sonata that it was taken from.

The paint job, as expected from Honda, is first-rate, with very little orange peel, smoothness of texture, and classy paint colors (I liked four or five of them) besides the usual shades from Harold's Mortuary, like the dull medium gray on my test car that Honda calls Polished Metal Metallic. But the restriction of the nice Belize Blue and San Marino Red to the coupe only, as is the restriction of the nice Mystic Green Metallic to the sedan only, is needless and annoying.

The exterior fit/finish, hardware, and chrome are ALL first-rate. Honda chose to use good-quality materials all over the outside but the strut-supported hood, which is tinny and made of too-thin sheet metal. But everything else outside is excellent quality, especially the swivel-snap mechanism and materials for the outside mirrors...they snap in and out with some of the best precision and feel I've ever seen. The exterior door handles are either chrome or body-colored depending on trim line, but have an odd shape.....as if they were installed upside-down. The doors themselves, however, shut and latch with Swiss-Watch precision, as if they were hung and adjusted with a laser beam and micrometer.

Up front, lift the too-thin, too-light hood, and the transversely-mounted VTEC V6 fits in neatly, without a jammed-in, too-tight look. There is a reasonable amount of room room around the sides and edges of the motor to reach some components and dipsticks. But what appears to be just another one of those big, painted-silver plastic engine covers on top is actually the metal top of the engine and manifold itself...the plastic parts are overhangs on the sides, and as a result, a number of components that could otherwise be reachable aren't.

In back is a rather well-finished trunk, with a lid that is, on the coupe, naturally a little smaller than the one on the sedan. The hinges are the old-fashioned type that don't scissors-articulate, but even so, the way they are designed and attached, they don't interfere with luggage like some designs do. Under the nice gray carpeting on the floor and sides lies the compact spare tire and jack tools. Trunk space, given the large size of the car itself, is not huge, but enough for most needs....and if trunk space is really an issue, there is always the sedan's larger trunk size (or you can get an Accord-based Odyssey minivan ).

Open up, get in, and the atmosphere inside becomes a little more mixed. The basic look is attractive, but here again, needless marketing restrictions apply....like no wood trim at all for the coupe and only in the beige-ivory interior EX sedan. All other Accords use the rather plain-looking painted-gray "metallic" trim that I can easily do without.....like Toyota, Honda, IMO, in general does not do a good job on painted metallic trim. But the dash itself is attractive enough, and has backlit, super-legible gauges, easy-to-use, no-nonsense controls and buttons in the Honda traditions, nicely damped ***** and switches, and generally good hardware, although some cheapening of interior parts quality is noticeable compared to the last-generation Accord....especially the bargain-basement steering wheel, nice solid steering-wheel buttons notwithstanding. The buttons in the center of the dash all look more or less alike, but are all clearly marked and labelled, so there will be a minimum of guessing and taking one's eyes off the road while driving. And most (not all) of them have that typical Honda-precision feel. The stereo has concert-quality sound, once it is set up correctly but can be difficult to adjust on the video-screen with the way the buttons are arranged...but, as mentioned, the buttons themselves work with precision. My test car did not have NAV.....Accords that have that option use an Acura-style dash **** for adjustments.....too much like BMW's I-Drive for me; I'll pass on that. The glove box was roomy but felt and latched rather flimsily.

Headroom is OK for tall people in front, even with the sunroof, if you lower the multi-power seat all the way, but, in the coupe tradition, is very tight in the rear. The seats themselves are well-designed, with comfort combined with a reasonable amount of support, and use what appears to be high-quality leather. Legroom, again, is fine up front, but varies quite a bit in back depending on where the front seats are set. If you have two very tall persons up front, consider the back seats suitable for just small children or packages.

OK, start her up. Surprisingly (I was expecting a push-button or a twist-****/proximity key), you do it the old-fashioned way, with a regular transponder key. And Honda still has not gone to a more convienent, dash-mounted ignition switch; it is in the traditional spot on the right side of the steering column. The engine, though, when it starts up, is a jewel....almost perfectly balanced, smooth, quiet, and refined. Power on the road, though, is decidedly peaky...there is not a great deal of torque below about 3000 or so, and then it becomes more pronounced. And what torque IS available below about 3000 is not that noticeable because the engine is so smooth and refined....it is almost like driving a turbine. Because the car was brand new, with only 20 miles on it, and out of respect for the Honda people who let me borrow it, I did not push the engine into its true upper reaches where, typical of Honda products, most of the power is. But even at only 4000, there is plenty of torque for all normal driving, unless you want to drag-race Vipers and Corvettes on Friday night.

The automatic transmission was, likewise, smooth, silky, quiet, and refined....no more of those old head-lurching shifts of Accord automatics of years ago. I especially liked the fore-and-aft shifter...none of that silly zig-zag stuff that is so annoying, even in my own Subaru. But one glaring (?) omission, in a car that is supposedly designed for drivers.....I couldn't find a manumatic or Sport-Shift mode on the shifter, nor could I find steering-wheel paddles for shifting. I won't say they aren't there, but I personally couldn't find them......and there is no mention of them in either the brochure or on Honda's web site. The shifter itself, though, was made of quality-feeling materials, shifted slickly and precisely, and otherwise was a pleasure to use.

Now we come to this car's REAL forte.....BMW-type steering feel and chassis dynamics. What a difference from the feathery, grossly-overboosted steering of years-ago Accords. I am not exaggerating. If I was driving this car blindfolded, I'd think I was in a BMW 3 or 5-series, just from the steering feel alone...it's that good. IMO, this is the BEST power-assisted steering system I have ever run across in a mid-sized Japanese car....it even beats the one I had on my Lexus IS300, even more remarkable considering the Accord's FWD layout and chassis dynamics. If you can get past the ugliness of the steering wheel itself, you are rewarded with almost telepathic feel and response, with almost perfect weighting. You can feel and gauge exactly where the front tires are going. Handling is likewise quite good for a front-driver, with very little body roll, right-now response, and little understeer. Part of the quick response, of course, comes from the quick-ratio on the steering rack......only 2.48 turns lock-to-lock, up there in sports-car territory, and from the 18-inch, 45-series all-season tires.

Ride quality, as expected, while fine on glass-smooth surfaces, is a little on the firm side for my tastes over bumps and road irregularities. Those wide, low-profile tires that help do such a good job on the the steering are less than compliant when soaking up bumps, though the ride is not sports-car stiff. Here, the Accord coupe, with all of its brilliance in steering feel, is not quite BMW or Mercedes when it comes to sophisication in the suspension department.....and the ability of premium German manufacturers to combine a smooth ride with good handling at the same time.

Brakes are also one of this car's better points...a well-designed pedal that does not catch big shoes on it, combined with a relatively firm braking feel with little sponginess. The car's FWD layout and nose-heaviness with the V6, of course, means that the front wheels will be doing more than their share of the braking loads, so while I did not do a panic stop in the review to test it, in general, don't expect Porsche-type braking distances.

As I got some requests for a manual-transmission EX-L V6 review, some of you are probably wondering what this car would be like with a manual. Obviously, I was not able to drive a manual (this car alone was difficult enough to find). But considering what previous Accord manuals were like, I can give you a pretty good estimate. Accords tend to have some of the best front-drive shift linkages on the market (Honda and Acura FWD manuals are known for the quality and precision of their shift linkages and smooth, easy clutch actions). Acceleration would probably be a little better, without the automatic's torque converter eating up as much of the engine's admittedly peaky torque at lower RPM. Gas mileage figures, oddly, are lower with the 6-speed manual.....for the EX-L V6, Honda quotes 17/25 vs. 19/28 for the automatic, perhaps due to different fuel-injection settings or final-drive ratios.

The Verdict?

Recently Subaru has run ads depicting the new WRX as the car that German manufacturers wished they were producing (we have discussed those ads in CAR CHAT). In my honest opinion, here.......the new Accord Coupe........is the Japanese-designed car that the Germans really wished they were doing, not the WRX.....though the new WRX, of course, is more refined and less boy-racer-like than before. The Accord coupe is competitive with non-M BMW 3 and 5-series products in many ways, chiefly in its superlative new power-steering system that is light-years ahead of the old, overboosted ones. The new automatic is also superlative, and puts to rest the annoying, head-bobbing, jerk-shifts of some old Honda automatics. Handling, ride, and chassis dynamics are also quite BMW-like, but, as mentioned, don't combine ride and handling characteristics together quite as well. And the first-rate reliability record of previous Accords trumps that of often unreliable BMW electronics (though there were some Honda/Acura transmission issues about 5-6 years ago).

Honda, however, IMO, still needs to work on a few things. The rear side windows are too small for good visibility...perhaps a change in the design of the beltline and roofline is in order. The marketing restrictions of paint colors and trim features between sedan and coupe is needless and absurd. A car this pleasant and driver-friendly should have a clear manual sport-shift feature for the automatic. And the car with steering feel this good deserves better than a Wal-Mart steering wheel. An up-to-date push-button ignition system is not a necessity, but would be more in tune with the car's character. And the hood could use a little thicker sheet metal. And.....please, Honda......build and ship enough coupes to meet demand.

Yet, all in all, this is an excellent car.....one of the best Japanese coupes that I have seen in years. I myself like it more than the costlier Infiniti G35 coupe. Rumor has it that Honda is working on a new Prelude. IMO, with this car, a new Prelude is not needed.....this car easily dismisses the need for one, and Honda would be wise to just dump the Prelude project and save its money and resources. The V6 EX-L coupe is an absolute steal at $29,000 (if you find an honest dealership without price gouging). Any of you who are interested in this car (and I know there are enough of you out there who are) have my blessing.....there are far worse ways to spend $30,000.
I liked it, too. And I must strongly agree with the reviewer that Honda failed at some areas to design accurately-eloquently, not showing that ugly-cheap steering wheel, or those weird door handles, or that cheesy chrome outside…..
Old 10-15-07, 03:20 PM
Shoyuu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GSteg
I enjoyed the review very much. I'm sure many others were anxiously awaiting this review

I think Honda did away with the sport-manual-auto-shift thingy because they had trouble with those types of transmissions in the past. If the customer really wants some action, they're going to have to go with Honda's manual transmission. If Honda knows how to make a thing or two, the gearboxes are definitely it.
A friend of mine had a Prelude with that and by the end of 5 years it was having a hard time holding gears....

Thanks for the review! I was looking forward to test driving it myself.
Old 10-15-07, 03:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Shoyuu
Thanks for the review! I was looking forward to test driving it myself.
Make sure, before you go to the Honda shop, that one or more of them is available...equipped like you want. Accord Coupes are NOT a dime a dozen on the lot like sedans.....especially V6's, although, by now, probably a little more of them are arriving.

You can either call ahead first or check dealer inventory on the website.....but the sites are not always up to date, and some salespeople do a lousy job of checking when you do call.
Old 10-15-07, 04:00 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

I have seen a few of these on the road now, and maaaaan they're ugly.
Old 10-15-07, 04:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I have seen a few of these on the road now, and maaaaan they're ugly.
Coupes or sedans?

Coupes are not selling well enough right now, primarily from lack of supply, to be very common on the road yet. Were they near Honda dealers.....on test drives?

You don't think they look better than the last-generation Accord coupe? I sure do. The headlights and taillights, especially, seem to be more handsome on the new one.
Old 10-15-07, 05:23 PM
ryannel200
Driver School Candidate

I much prefer Toyota's Camry to the new Honda Accord. Before getting my Camry I was a huge fan of the '98-'02 model of the Accord. After i got my car i quickly changed my mind. The Accord is geared towards somebody who wants a little more feedback from their car while the Camry is a much quieter and comfortable car. I would definitely take the latter. Besides that though I do like the exterior of the new Accord. The interior however, is a sea full of little buttons that doesnt amuse me at all. I think it looks cheesy as crap. I sat inside a '08 Camry today and the simplicity of the center stack still amazes me. Definitely an evolution of the Gen 4. I love the comment about how the hood feels cheap. An old friend of mine had a '02 Civic EX and when you pressed down on the hood it went down. It was cheap looking and i hated how it drove as well. But that's comparing apples to oranges. My next car will definitely be another Camry.
Old 10-15-07, 06:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ryannel200
I much prefer Toyota's Camry to the new Honda Accord. Before getting my Camry I was a huge fan of the '98-'02 model of the Accord. After i got my car i quickly changed my mind. The Accord is geared towards somebody who wants a little more feedback from their car while the Camry is a much quieter and comfortable car. I would definitely take the latter. Besides that though I do like the exterior of the new Accord. The interior however, is a sea full of little buttons that doesnt amuse me at all. I think it looks cheesy as crap. I sat inside a '08 Camry today and the simplicity of the center stack still amazes me. Definitely an evolution of the Gen 4. I love the comment about how the hood feels cheap. An old friend of mine had a '02 Civic EX and when you pressed down on the hood it went down. It was cheap looking and i hated how it drove as well. But that's comparing apples to oranges. My next car will definitely be another Camry.
I recently reviewed a new Camry SE, and thought that the center stack was probably the car's weakest point.....exactly the feature you said you liked on it. True, as you said, it was simple, but the cheesy round ***** wobbled as you turned them and felt like they were going to come right off in your fingers. You are correct that the Camry, in general, is more geared to a relaxing driving style than the Accord, though the Camry SE that I drove was noticeably more responsive and firmer-riding than, say, a base model or an XLE....the SE can be considered the Camry's "Touring" model.

The new Accord, though, is super-refined, even in the sporty coupe EX-L version i reviewed, but the ride is on the firm side, as you would expect from this type of coupe.

Test-drive a new Accord sedan before you actually sign for a Camry, and see if its ride is not a little more to your liking. The sedan suspension and tires are not quite as aggressive as the coupe's....and it doesn't have the Toyota's quirky zig-zag tranny shifter. Of course, if you still prefer the Camry, by all means, buy one and enjoy it .......you certainly won't go wrong.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-15-07 at 06:27 PM.
Old 10-15-07, 06:24 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Coupes or sedans?

Coupes are not selling well enough right now, primarily from lack of supply, to be very common on the road yet. Were they near Honda dealers.....on test drives?

You don't think they look better than the last-generation Accord coupe? I sure do. The headlights and taillights, especially, seem to be more handsome on the new one.
Sedan is quite attractive. Coupe looks like a shoe.

Quick Reply: Review: 2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6 Coupe