Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Entry Luxury Fun: 1.Cadillac CTS - 2.Infiniti G35 - 3.MB C350

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-07, 09:29 PM
LexFather

Lightbulb Entry Luxury Fun: 1.Cadillac CTS - 2.Infiniti G35 - 3.MB C350

http://blogs.edmunds.com/.ee9f3d2

1. Cadillac CTS: This car has the best steering feel of the group. The G35's is quicker (faster ratio) but it's also heavier and, honestly, a bit too hyperactive. The Mercedes' is similar in feel and ratio, but it doesn't deliver the intuitive feedback that the CTS offers. Ride quality is softer than either, and it feels like the biggest and heaviest of the group -- probably because it is. It also has the best interior design in my opinion, though there are subtle aspects of its interior quality that could be better. In terms of audio/entertainment system -- both design, ergonomics and quality -- it nukes the others.

2. Infiniti G35: Within seconds of starting the G35 it's clear Infiniti was sick of hearing the same old "the 3 Series is still sportier" song from journalists. They've turned everything up on the G35 -- steering ratio, engine power, suspension tuning. It worked, as the car is the "sportiest" of this bunch. Problem is, it's not the one I want to drive. Like a hopped up '80s rock star, the G35 puts on quite a show -- but its a bit too high strung for a long-term, family-oriented relationship.

3. Mercedes-Benz C350: To quote my favorite non-incarcerated Simpson -- "BOOOORING!" The C-Class is fully prepared to meet the family. In fact, it's already moved into the spare bedroom and thrown out all the high-cholesterol food in the house. As usual, if you're looking for bank-vault serenity behind the wheel this one delivers. And if you put it into a four-wheel drift after the apex it will even cooperate...but something about the C-Class will make you feel immature rather than inspired. Ultimately there is nothing seriously wrong with the C350. There's also nothing seriously wrong with the Toyota Camry, and plenty of people buy both and live happily ever after...

Here's the tricky part: Despite being the "fattest" of this group, the Cadillac CTS was also the one I liked the best. Beyond having the best steering feel the CTS had the best combination of luxurious ride quality and sporty handling. It also had the roomiest interior and most appealing exhaust note.

Yes, the Inifniti will likely perform better in the slalom (we'll know soon enough...) and pull better lap times at a track, but its high-strung demeanor and the associated cost in steering response and overall ride quality is too high in my opinion. The Mercedes-Benz C-Class continues to deliver all those M-B traits that M-B fans have come to expect. I can't really fault the C350 (except for my continued annoyance with COMAND), but I can't get excited about it, either.

The Cadillac CTS seems to be the perfect balance between these two. Far more personality than the C350, far more comfort and luxury (and better steering feel) than the G35 -- while still proving capable and entertaining on fast sweepers. Cadillac needs to extend the seat bottom for better thigh support, and install paddle shifters to authenticate its sport sedan intentions. Otherwise I wouldn't change a thing. It's great to see Cadillac carving out it's own place in this competitive segment. They've stopped trying to be an American version of the German or Japanese entry-luxury sport sedan. Instead they've simply created an American entry-luxury sport sedan, and a damn good one.

Old 10-09-07, 12:57 AM
MoLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not surprised..
Old 10-09-07, 06:45 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not bad, though karl has a noticeably "American" slant in his writing. I'm ready for the next all-inclusive test of the entry level luxury class

C350, G35, CTS, IS350, 335i, A4, new TL, Saab 9-3, S60, etc.
Old 10-09-07, 07:33 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really like the new CTS. Among American automakers who have an entry in this market, Cadillac is the only one who is really serious about it.