Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus LF-Xh

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-07, 10:29 PM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

It's actually not that bad, after scrolling back and forth.
Let's see what lexus will do to polish it up.

It's less feminine than the current one
Old 10-10-07, 11:59 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Pretty ugly IMO. Looks almost like a raised crossover or a bloated wagon or something...?
Old 10-11-07, 01:03 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There has been a lot of conversation about a LWB and SWB RX and, considering all the things that I have seen and read, I'm going to offer up a rather bold prediction.

Thinking about this, it might make sense if Lexus moved the RX to an architecture based on the IS and GS platform. The HPX, or something based on it, is likely to be produced and the concept itself was RWD/AWD I believe and it used the 4.3L V8.

Swapping the RX to this chassis could allow for a an IS/GS relationship between it and a larger 'ute, which would help to offset development costs for both utes. The RX could be based more on the IS hardware and the "HPX" or "JX" could be based on a larger version of the GS chassis with an optional V8.

Also ironic, the LF-Xh has an IDENTICAL wheelbase to the GS and is longer than the new Highlander or Avalon chassis.
Old 10-11-07, 01:08 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
There has been a lot of conversation about a LWB and SWB RX and, considering all the things that I have seen and read, I'm going to offer up a rather bold prediction.

Thinking about this, it might make sense if Lexus moved the RX to an architecture based on the IS and GS platform. The HPX, or something based on it, is likely to be produced and the concept itself was RWD/AWD I believe and it used the 4.3L V8.

Swapping the RX to this chassis could allow for a an IS/GS relationship between it and a larger 'ute, which would help to offset development costs for both utes. The RX could be based more on the IS hardware and the "HPX" or "JX" could be based on a larger version of the GS chassis with an optional V8.

Also ironic, the LF-Xh has an IDENTICAL wheelbase to the GS and is longer than the new Highlander or Avalon chassis.
so you're thinking the RX may become RWD-biased?
Old 10-11-07, 01:14 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Good point. Lexus has made public that the LF-X is based on the GS platform, so it's only reasonable that the LF-Xh, which shares the same base name as the LF-X, is based on the GS. And boy do I hope it's true.

Last edited by XeroK00L; 10-11-07 at 01:18 PM.
Old 10-11-07, 01:17 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Well maybe, the LF-S and LF-Sh were different platforms though.
Old 10-11-07, 01:57 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nextourer
so you're thinking the RX may become RWD-biased?
I think that it would make sense, though I do not know that it would necessarily happen. It might suit Lexus just fine to keep it on the Camry chassis and simply base the HPX off the GS chassis.

Thinking about it though...I could see a case for it. The current RX FWD with 270HP will torque steer with the best of them and the competition is seeing significant power gains- MDX has 300, FX37 will likely have over 300, and even the Highlander and Edge are at the 270 number. Lexus will likely need to pump some more power into the RX at the redesign.

Transferring it to a RWD IS/GS chassis would allow for more power and the easy transplant of the 306HP V6, 6AT, and even an AWD system. Many are reporting that the next RX will also become a bit sportier and I feel like they have maxed out the current platform for sport and power. FWD is only capable of so much. Using a raised RWD architecture would allow the RX to also share parts with the larger rumored HPX, and even the IS and GS.

Makes sense to me. RWD could mean sportier and more power, with readily available technology and hardware and the ability to share parts.
Old 10-11-07, 04:27 PM
cspec
Lexus Champion

Oh well. Their concepts were never really that nice looking...
Old 10-11-07, 05:14 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

I think that it would make sense, though I do not know that it would necessarily happen. It might suit Lexus just fine to keep it on the Camry chassis and simply base the HPX off the GS chassis.

Thinking about it though...I could see a case for it. The current RX FWD with 270HP will torque steer with the best of them and the competition is seeing significant power gains- MDX has 300, FX37 will likely have over 300, and even the Highlander and Edge are at the 270 number. Lexus will likely need to pump some more power into the RX at the redesign.

Transferring it to a RWD IS/GS chassis would allow for more power and the easy transplant of the 306HP V6, 6AT, and even an AWD system. Many are reporting that the next RX will also become a bit sportier and I feel like they have maxed out the current platform for sport and power. FWD is only capable of so much. Using a raised RWD architecture would allow the RX to also share parts with the larger rumored HPX, and even the IS and GS.

Makes sense to me. RWD could mean sportier and more power, with readily available technology and hardware and the ability to share parts.
Makes sense... but then a RWD platform would intrude into interior space, won't it? That or the floor will be quite high to keep it flat inside.

That or just don't offer a FWD version at all. I never understood the point of a FWD SUV... If it's gonna be RWD, then do you think it'll have an electronic diff lock similar to the RAV4? (but not as hardcore as the fulltime 4WD system on the GX or LX).

One thing I really hope is that the weight will be kept down. This horsepower war is getting ridiculous. The new Highlander is ridiculously heavy and that's without the hybrid powertrain.
Old 10-12-07, 06:49 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good catch. So this concept has an identical wheelbase to the GS, and it also has an identical wheelbase compared to the FX.

I wouldn't jump to conclusions, but given the information I think it's unlikely the new RX will remain on the Camry platform. It might be an all-new platform not shared with the IS or GS, or it might be the GS platform. Either way, it finally seems that people won't be making any jokes about the RX being a "Camry wagon" as it looks like it will no longer share the same platform as the Camry. The next-gen ES is rumoured to also no longer sit on the Camry platform. My guess is the new RX and next-gen ES will share platforms, whatever the platform will be.

One thing is for sure: the new RX will definitely be a lot more sportier than the current one.
Old 10-12-07, 08:14 AM
Trexus

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Will we also be getting the RX-F? If so I wonder what engine Lexus would drop in it...
Old 10-12-07, 09:15 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Considering that the wheelbase is 5+ inches longer and directly matches the RWD GS in length...I am thinking there is a good chance that this may not actually be the RX replacement. The original LF-X was based on the GS chassis and this LF-Xh is likely an update of that original concept.

From Lexus website on the LF-X concept:

"With the versatility of a luxury utility vehicle and the performance of a sport sedan, the Lexus LF-X is the intelligent evolution of the SUV. Powered by a 4.3-liter 300-horsepower [1] V8 engine, its athletic chassis is built for performance. The driver-oriented instrumentation evokes the luxurious comfort and sophistication of an executive jet. The well-planned interior features full-volume bucket seats in the first two rows, while a third-row seat specifically designed for children folds into the floor."
Old 10-12-07, 09:29 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

I disagree. The wheelbase is a big jump compared to the current RX, but the length is not. We already know the next-gen RX will grow in size. Plus, this concept has many RX styling cues.

If this is a new vehicle and not a preview of the next RX, Lexus would be making a big mistake. This would be too close to the RX in terms of size and style.

Also, given that steeply sloping rear hatch, I find it difficult to imagine a third row in the interior.

There have been persistent rumours that both the next RX and the next ES will move away from the Camry platform, and given this concept the rumours seem to make sense.

Last edited by TRDFantasy; 10-12-07 at 09:32 AM.
Old 10-12-07, 10:34 AM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

So then what will happen to the Camry platform? I mean, the reason why it's cheaper to produce is because it's shared with 7 vehicles. 6 after the Solara is gone and if this is true, down to 5 and 4 (if the ES goes to a new platform).
Old 10-12-07, 11:14 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

You have to look at it from a worldwide scale, not just North American. All of the products using the Camry platform are high volume, so Toyota will continue to achieve very good economies of scale even if the RX and ES move off the platform.

Also keep in mind the ES is primarily a US product. Outside of North America, there are very few countries where the ES is sold.

There are new models like the Mark X Zio in Japan (which uses the Camry platform) which will make up some of the numbers lost if indeed the ES and RX move away from the Camry platform.

Personally I think for Lexus to become a prestigious luxury brand on a worldwide scale, and for them to gain respect and recognition in Europe, the brand needs to become more differentiated from Toyota. With Lexus, you cannot just look at it from a purely economic perspective. Toyota is very serious about the image and reputation of Lexus, and that's something you can't really buy. It's very hard to substantially improve your image and reputation as a luxury automaker. Sharing less parts and platforms with Toyota products would be one way for Lexus to become more respected. Even with more differentiation between Toyota and Lexus brands, you can be sure Toyota will come up some novel and innovative ways to continue to reduce costs and increase economies of scale.

Quick Reply: Lexus LF-Xh