Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota Crown Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-07, 08:49 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nextourer
ok fine North American

Yeah I know hence "until recently".. I think they also released it in Taiwan and some other Asian country.

Yes, back on topic.

I mean.. if the Crown came with a V8 (I think it only has a V6, no?) how would that compare to the GS? They're both RWD and have similar engines. I think the Crown is a bit bigger.

Or how 'bout this. How does it compare in other Asian countries? We know they have Lexus and I do believe the Crown is also sold there. Anybody living/used to live in those countries have any insight?
I think the Majesta (which comes only in V8 trim) is a little smaller than the LS and bigger than the GS but it comes in both AWD or RWD.
Old 10-11-07, 09:45 AM
MSMLexIS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Looking at the Lexus model, CLEARLY, they know what they are doing. In 20 years we are talking about being laughed at to being a tier I luxury brand. A lot of that was differentiating Toyota/Lexus from a pricing standpoint.

YOU may think differently, but TOyota/Lexus wants as little overlapping as possible. You want a luxury car/SUV, 9 times out of 10 (Avalon, LC, Crown) you go buy a Lexus.

$40,000 luxury cars/SUVS have a hard time selling. Look no further than the Acura RL or Volvo S80. A $40,000 Toyota Crown has no place in America or Europe or anywhere outside of Japan.

And I LIKE the Crown and had a chance to see one inside and out at the Team Lexus facility a couple years ago.
I agree here totally the crown wouldnt work in america. Amercans want a fancy nameplate the japanese dont like fancy name plates. So thats why we got Lexus and not the crown. Also the japanese market is very different from ours they like there cars to be ornately styled, they are chauffer driven and they spend lots of time in traffic so performance isnt so much of a factor to them as americans so thats why the crown wont work in america.
Old 10-11-07, 09:51 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Why do people keep saying that this is the Toyota LS600h when the PR makes no mention of the engine used in this Crown Hybrid? For all we know this could simply be a GS450h twin, which shares the same chassis to begin with. I very much doubt that the LS600h's powertrain can fit under the tiny engine bay of the GS/Crown.
Old 10-11-07, 11:08 AM
Koma

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
Why do people keep saying that this is the Toyota LS600h when the PR makes no mention of the engine used in this Crown Hybrid? For all we know this could simply be a GS450h twin, which shares the same chassis to begin with. I very much doubt that the LS600h's powertrain can fit under the tiny engine bay of the GS/Crown.
Heh, I did say that way back on page one.
Old 10-11-07, 11:53 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by MSMLexIS
I agree here totally the crown wouldnt work in america. Amercans want a fancy nameplate the japanese dont like fancy name plates. So thats why we got Lexus and not the crown. Also the japanese market is very different from ours they like there cars to be ornately styled, they are chauffer driven and they spend lots of time in traffic so performance isnt so much of a factor to them as americans so thats why the crown wont work in america.
Agreed and not just America. Europe and Japan/Asia are just as bad if not WORSE when it comes to image. The Euro reviews are notorious for not liking a car or giving it a so-so review b/c they cannot "see themselves in the car" or "it has no image".

Old 10-11-07, 11:53 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
BACK TO TOPIC:

It would theoretically be nice to get the LS600h(L) for cheaper via the Toyota nameplate. However, by doing so, Toyota cheapens the Lexus brand by offering the same car with inferior quality materials and cost-cutting methods.

We've seen it fail with Acura.
We've seen it fail with Jaguar.
We've seen it fail with Mercury.

And I think the Camry and ES350 survive because the Camry is all about cost-savings [especially with the I4 engine], and the ES still does a good job in providing quality [not top-notch quality] materials as an entry-level luxury vehicle. Although the two share platforms, they definately are NOT rebadged, as both exhibit significant differences in quality materials and refinement.

The Camry and ES350 provides something for two different clientele (market populations), whereas some rebadged vehicles do not differentiate the different market populations...
Exactly. And the Camry and ES do such a FANTASTIC JOB, they are BOTH best selling in their class.

Old 10-11-07, 01:10 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Agreed and not just America. Europe and Japan/Asia are just as bad if not WORSE when it comes to image. The Euro reviews are notorious for not liking a car or giving it a so-so review b/c they cannot "see themselves in the car" or "it has no image".
But I'm sure the Crown sells in Asia. I believe HK has the Crown as well as the Lexus models.
Old 10-11-07, 01:19 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

p.s. this is mild hybrid system...
Old 10-11-07, 01:23 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
Link to this piece of information please?

I would be very surprised if it's indeed a mild hybrid. I thought Toyota is all about full hybrids (for gasoline models at least) these days.
Old 10-11-07, 06:10 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
Link to this piece of information please?

I would be very surprised if it's indeed a mild hybrid. I thought Toyota is all about full hybrids (for gasoline models at least) these days.
THSII is what they call their mild hybrid system... and Toyota has them on several cars in Japan, and has had them for years now...
Old 10-11-07, 07:24 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
finally someone has an answered from the first page lol.

I know the old one had a mild hybrid system. This new one will continue on?

I thought THS-II was basically HSD. If not, at least the updated THS on the 01-03 Prius.
Old 07-16-09, 08:05 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Crown also has some unique safety features, which is supposedly one reason why the Imperial family uses the Crown. My in-law's '03 crown is a V6 AWD w/ aluminum hood and underbody. Styling looks identical to the LS430. The LS is/was a duplicate of the Toyota Celsior, as the SC was the Soarer, ES was the Windom, GS was the Arista, IS was the Altezza (where the term "altezza lights" came from). Not sure how they've branched in the current generation, as the LS, GS, and IS are "international" models sold in many countries. The ES might be a North American-market model (ES isn't sold in Japan, nor are the LX/GX/RX). For those, you have to buy the Toyota label.
Old 07-16-09, 08:16 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

To clarify though, the 1LS was initially designed as a Lexus, and it was after JDM dealerships wanted a local version they created the Celsior nameplate; while the Aristo was sold in Japan first, then brought over as the 1GS; and the Altezza had the same relationship with the 1IS. All nameplates, of course, no longer are used...the Crown remains with Toyota.
Old 07-17-09, 07:20 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim_Chow
Crown also has some unique safety features, which is supposedly one reason why the Imperial family uses the Crown. My in-law's '03 crown is a V6 AWD w/ aluminum hood and underbody. Styling looks identical to the LS430. The LS is/was a duplicate of the Toyota Celsior, as the SC was the Soarer, ES was the Windom, GS was the Arista, IS was the Altezza (where the term "altezza lights" came from). Not sure how they've branched in the current generation, as the LS, GS, and IS are "international" models sold in many countries. The ES might be a North American-market model (ES isn't sold in Japan, nor are the LX/GX/RX). For those, you have to buy the Toyota label.
1- The Imperial family uses the Century

2- The Celsior is a copy of the LS, not the other way around

p.s The crown looks like the LS430?
Old 07-17-09, 11:38 AM
superchan7
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Toyota Crown is a huge success in mainland China. It's a great low-profile luxury car and that is exactly what successful people there need.

Not too sure about its popularity in Hong Kong, though. It's quite large and expensive, and at its price point there are more desirable competitors as Hong Kong is home to a lot of brand snobbery and Euro lusting.

The Crown also does well in its home market, of course. I'm all for a Toyota flagship, and the limited-production Century doesn't count.

Quick Reply: Toyota Crown Hybrid