Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

You ever feel like just driving to the dealership and trading your car in??

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-07, 03:06 PM
SCRUFFDOGG
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I was selling my GX I had that thought every other day, it took me 4 months to sell that truck but I wanted resale for it rather then trade-in. I finally got what I wanted for it but I came really close to trading it in. I've only bought one car as an impulse.
Old 10-13-07, 01:47 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Mike
The only cure I know is to get a BMW - that's probably the best prescription I know for what you are going through. That or more Cow Bell maybe.
Old 10-13-07, 10:10 AM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Here's my proposed solution: Buy a new car every three years and keep the old one(s) to drive "into the ground." That's what I plan to do.
Old 10-15-07, 06:24 AM
r4z0r3ck
Lead Lap

here's another solution:

get a daily driver where you beat the crap out of it and then get a weekend or project car that's extremely nice where you garage until you get that feeling of wanting to trade in your daily driver. problem solved. im prolly going to get an elise or nsx as one in the upcoming year.
Old 10-15-07, 07:37 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Incendiary
Here's my proposed solution: Buy a new car every three years and keep the old one(s) to drive "into the ground." That's what I plan to do.
That is what I am facing.. Too many low baller offers for my GS.
Old 10-15-07, 08:05 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I have that feeling alot but everytime I look at my bank account I say h-no. A matter fact sometimes I feel like trading both of my cl's in for a honda civic.
Old 10-15-07, 11:08 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
But keep one thing in mind. The longer you keep your GS, the less it is worth. Six months or a year from now, in most cases, your car will be worth less than it is today. Then the new offers you get will be even lower than today's, and you will then complain that THEY are "low-ball ones", too.
Old 10-15-07, 06:07 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
It's a good plan, if I do say so myself.
Old 10-15-07, 06:21 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by UDel
What's wrong, are you not feeling the GS430 anymore or do you have something different now that your not feeling? After a few months with my GS and the door lock actuator not working and being expensive to fix, rough idle, constant chips and nicks, waxy leather, numerous squeeks and rattles and reading how Lexus has done nothing to address the lower ball joint problem and a few other things I was not really feeling the GS or Lexus anymore but I eventually tried to put it past me and still was happy that the 2nd Gen GS to me was one of the best looking luxury sedans out and was still nicer then many cars.

When I got a letter from our Lexus dealership saying they were paying top dollar for 2nd Gen GS and offering great deals on 3rd Gen I debated whether I wanted to just get a newer one that had a warranty. After many people mistaking a 3rd Gen for a Altima or Maxima and saying yours looks much better I was not all that thrilled. I went to go see it again and it just did not look like a luxury car, I sat in it and headroom was poor and some materials felt kind of cheap and that they would not last. It had no more horsepower then my car and did not seem like much of an upgrade from my2nd Gen and in some ways a downgrade so I passed on it.

I test drove an RL and really fell in love with it and sort of debated whether to see what they could do for me on a trade in but I did not feel like getting into a new expensive car in my current situation. Everytime I see a M3, NSX, or 911 I get a little envious and wish I had a sports car but there are drawbacks for each of those cars when they are your only car. I saw a 04 Mercedes CL600 that was gorgeous but knew it would be a stupid investment to get that car even though I love it. Same with the Merc 8 series coupe and the previous JagXK coupe.

It does kind of suck that all these inexpensive family sedans and coupes are getting 250hp+ engines and are almost as fast if not as fast as the GS430 and have most of the options as well as some we don't but I guess we have to deal with it or do something like make the GS faster. I will be keeping the GS for awhile until my situation changes or I find something I just gotta have. The GS is fine for me right now and nicer then most cars out there.
What you said and the whole modding thing again. Then no joke, the GS was original when I had the GS 400 back in 2000.
Well today, with 10 million Altimas, Maximas, Sentras, Infinitis around that all remind me of my car, then you add the crap GSs I see, it makes me cringe.

I am not head over heels with the 3GS (and the 10 million knock-off look alikes), though I am considering it. The IS-F though, burns me insides, its everything I want stock in a Lexus. I'd rather wait though a year or 2 for it to be in the 40k range.

I bet Ferrari owners don't have this problem!!

Old 10-15-07, 06:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The IS-F though, burns me insides, its everything I want stock in a Lexus. I'd rather wait though a year or 2 for it to be in the 40k range.
Higher price or not, sometimes, with high-performance cars, like an IS-F, it's better to just bite the bullet and go brand-new. Unless you personally know the vehicle's history and its owner's driving habits, the chances are pretty high that you will get a used one that has been driven pretty hard. That's one reason why I get offers for my used cars...I DON'T drive them very hard, and maintain their looks and condition well.

For instance, I'd like to have a new Acura RL or Lexus LS460, but I just don't feel like biting the bullet for a new one....that's more than I would want to put into a new car....I'd be mortgaging part of my retirement.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-15-07 at 06:40 PM.
Old 10-16-07, 08:36 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feel like that a lot lately but the seriously lacking cashflow is holding me back.
Old 10-16-07, 09:15 AM
greyBLITZ
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can fight it by buying mods?

I like what Phillip said, which makes me think that I'm glad I can't afford it, otherwise I would own a fair portion of the country's vehicles.
Old 10-16-07, 04:14 PM
krazykanuk
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Every day I drive my IS I want either a IS350 or a new Audi/BMW, but alas I don't think my parents would bankroll that change very easily.

The way I look at it to talk myself out of it is that I already have a nicer car than most kids my age and financially it doesn't make sense to sell a car we own while I only drive a few thousand miles a year.

No big deal...I'll get a new car when I leave college.
Old 10-16-07, 04:18 PM
9520G
Lead Lap

I dont think about trading it in, just selling the IS all together. Paying the monthly payment VS the 300 miles per month I drive just isnt working out for me.