Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

No more love for tall people from Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-07, 03:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by BrickHead
Consumer Reports has repeatedly mentioned the GS has cramped interior. i was gonna replace my 98 LS with the GS350, but the head room turned me off..
The GS does have headroom that is a little tight (I mentioned that in my review).....a concession to aerodynamic styling and roofline. But, with the front seat cushion all the way down (and your hat off ), it's not that bad (I've seen worse), and I found the new GS......at least in the GS300 AWD version I tested, to be superb enough, otherwise, IMO, to rank as one of the Ten Best I've ever tested. Also in that Ten-Best category are the Acura RL and the Lexus LS460.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-11-07 at 03:11 PM.
Old 10-12-07, 07:13 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
"L-Finesse" went for style over packaging efficiency and roominess. I think Lexus made a huge mistake.
To each their own. Have you forgotten the huge amount of complaints and criticism Lexus received for having no style or for having boring design? Now that Lexus is adding more style, some sacrifices *must* be made. If you make a very sleek car, that will affect the packaging of it. Toyota's vehicles have some of the best packaging in the industry, so even with more style I still think Lexus vehicles have very good packaging and efficiency.

I can name plently of luxury vehicles that have less packaging efficiency than your typical Lexus.
Old 10-12-07, 08:50 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Adjust the seats.. I am 6'4 and fit in every Lexus model.. Heck I drive an 02 Rav which is smaller and I fit
Old 10-12-07, 08:55 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

mike, you could fit inside the previous is300? that's a miracle

anyway, being 5'7" i guess i can't say much. except the 2is (which i think is just as small as the is300), the other lexus are all good enough for me. the 3gs does seem smaller on the inside, mainly the shoulder and head room imho, but say the ls460 it's just huge, more space than the ls430 from my feeling.
Old 10-12-07, 11:36 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
mike, you could fit inside the previous is300? that's a miracle

Come on, Henry. I OWNED one for almost 5 years.....you know that....and put some miles on it. (That's how I got into CL). A bright Solar Yellow one without a sunroof (that helped headroom) and the all-season tires....one of very few 2001 models built that way. The IS300 actually was pretty good in the front seat for tall people.......the rear seat was another story. The newer IS250/350 seems to have lowered the roof slightly for more aero-like styling.....with the obvious consequences.

You know the way I review and check out cars.....I would never buy a car for myself I couldn't fit into.
Old 10-12-07, 01:03 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm 6'2. my hair scrapes the ceiling. just barely.

if you're built like a gorilla, with longer torso, and short legs, you won't fit.

if you're tall, with long legs and shorter torso, you can fit fine.

so, are you built like a gorilla?
Old 10-12-07, 01:35 PM
PushinLEX
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you guys should try a prius or a CLS if you wanna talk about a cramped roof line.
Old 10-12-07, 02:14 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Come on, Henry. I OWNED one for almost 5 years.....you know that....and put some miles on it. (That's how I got into CL). A bright Solar Yellow one without a sunroof (that helped headroom) and the all-season tires....one of very few 2001 models built that way. The IS300 actually was pretty good in the front seat for tall people.......the rear seat was another story. The newer IS250/350 seems to have lowered the roof slightly for more aero-like styling.....with the obvious consequences.

You know the way I review and check out cars.....I would never buy a car for myself I couldn't fit into.
well, maybe i am spoiled too much by the gs and sc(430). my legroom was ok in the is300, but even with my 150lb body, i kind of feel tight on the should room (side way)
Old 10-12-07, 03:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PushinLEX
you guys should try a prius or a CLS if you wanna talk about a cramped roof line.
Tell me about a cramped roof line. I reviewed a Lotus Elise two months ago...at 6' 2" and 280 lb. Don't even ASK me how I crammed myself into it, much less drive it.
Old 10-12-07, 04:22 PM
PushinLEX
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Tell me about a cramped roof line. I reviewed a Lotus Elise two months ago...at 6' 2" and 280 lb. Don't even ASK me how I crammed myself into it, much less drive it.
Oh man! LOL

How was the drive though?
Old 10-12-07, 07:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PushinLEX
Oh man! LOL

How was the drive though?
Here. See for yourself:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ew+lotus+elise
Old 10-13-07, 03:36 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Funny how subcompacts like a Toyota Yaris liftback or VW Beetle can seat a 7-footer comfortably but full size luxury cars don't provide enough head room for a 6'3" person.

Old 10-13-07, 03:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JLSC4
Funny how subcompacts like a Toyota Yaris liftback or VW Beetle can seat a 7-footer comfortably but full size luxury cars don't provide enough head room for a 6'3" person.

Simple. The Beetle and the Yaris both have high rooflines (although the Beetle's, of course, slopes down in back)...and upright seats inside for legroom. Many luxury cars don't. That's one of several reasons why luxury SUV's, with their higher roofs, have replaced many former luxury cars.

You mention 7-footers. Look at two of the most popular vehicles with NBA guys...the Escalade and Navigator, both huge inside with ultra-high roofs.
Old 10-13-07, 06:09 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Either IS is way too cramped for me. I have 2 3GS cars and the entry space is sort of narrow but once inside with the seat adjusted, I'm very comfy. Getting in and out is my problem.
Old 10-13-07, 11:38 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dunnojack
if you're built like a gorilla, with longer torso, and short legs, you won't fit.
Hey now I guess I am a gorilla

Quick Reply: No more love for tall people from Lexus