Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

No more love for tall people from Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-07, 05:26 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No more love for tall people from Lexus

I just went to the dealership and both the IS and GS are way too small for slightly taller people. I am 6'3" and while I used to fit in all Lexus cars before, I no longer can sit in either the GS or IS. The newer sports cars are going to be based on the IS chassis. Why are they shrinking the cars?
Old 10-10-07, 05:47 PM
100plus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hermosa
I just went to the dealership and both the IS and GS are way too small for slightly taller people. I am 6'3" and while I used to fit in all Lexus cars before, I no longer can sit in either the GS or IS. The newer sports cars are going to be based on the IS chassis. Why are they shrinking the cars?
Hmm last I checked cars get bigger, even the Mini gets better. Not to be daft or anything, but you did try moving the seats yes? I know the IS is particulary small, even im 6' 1 1/2", but I fit just right, no back pain of any sort. Only small problems getting in and out like hitting my head haha. I thought the GS should atleast be able to suit your size.
Old 10-10-07, 06:01 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Hermosa
The IS is based off the GS chassis.

I agree the 3GS is not as roomy as the competition and I actually feel I have more room upfront in the IS than the GS.

I think some of it is to provide a coupe-like or sporty setting, which is more cramped. The cars are very VERY styled, which takes away from interior space.

On the flipside, the competition gets bigger and bigger and it feels like being in a LS.

Old 10-10-07, 06:07 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm 6'3" and I can sit inside an IS or GS totally fine . Sure it would be nice for a bit more space, but I'm pretty comfortable sitting in an IS or GS.
Old 10-10-07, 06:13 PM
LexFather

Yeah, I'm 6"5. I do have to adjust the seat correctly.
That is one positive of having the 900 seat settings some German cars have and now the new LS.

Old 10-10-07, 06:55 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

6'4" here and I have sat in Cathafers 2IS, very comfy for me.
Old 10-10-07, 07:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I think some of it is to provide a coupe-like or sporty setting, which is more cramped. The cars are very VERY styled, which takes away from interior space.
Exactly. Some people have to decide what is more important.....looking at their cars or actually fitting in them. Me....I'll take the latter. You won't see a Lotus Elise in my driveway.
Old 10-10-07, 08:05 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,518 Likes on 1,657 Posts

"L-Finesse" went for style over packaging efficiency and roominess. I think Lexus made a huge mistake.

I don't know the dimension comparisons, but even the now ancient E class feels roomier inside than the GS but the GS to my eyes, seems much bigger from the outside.
Old 10-10-07, 08:16 PM
Gian
Rookie

The IS makes me proud of being 5'5".
Old 10-11-07, 02:27 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

the IS is barely ok for me and im 6'1. the GS was a bit better. my neighbor is 6'4 or so and had to buy an avalon without a sunroof. i think most lexus cars are designed for short people
Old 10-11-07, 08:38 AM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

I played around with the seat for 5 minutes and the only way I could sit in the GS was to have my head in the moon roof basically touching the glass. Otherwise I was at an uncomfortable angle. I guess I must have a long torso. I fit in my SC430 just fine.
Old 10-11-07, 09:53 AM
BrickHead
Instructor

Consumer Reports has repeatedly mentioned the GS has cramped interior. i was gonna replace my 98 LS with the GS350, but the head room turned me off..
Old 10-11-07, 09:54 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Being 6'4" or over comes with its own set of challenges: You must sleep in a Queen size bed or larger, you shop at a King Size store for clothes that are double the price of most men's stores and nothing fits without alteration. Shower heads are aimed for your bellybutton, desktops and counters are always 4" too low, you feel like furniture was all purchased in the children's shop, and public accommodations, restaurant booths, public phone booths, most public restrooms, and all automobiles were built for midgets.

All imported sports cars have to be modified to fit, either by re-mounting the seat aft about three inches, or dropping it to the floorboard - all of which require a bit of panel-beating. NFL linemen and NBA forwards drive Escalades - not because they are trendy, but because they fit. Linebackers and Centers need to look elsewhere.

My '95 4-door Civic was a wonderful car with more front seat room than the comparable Accord, thanks to the fact that the center console did not extend up into the dash. You could almost get a tall person in the front seats - if it were only a question of legroom. Once there, it was relatively comfortable - until you hit a bump and slammed your head on the moonroof. I still bear the scars . . .

Those of us tall persons who carry most of their height above the hips have difficulty getting into, let alone finding a comfortable position most passenger cars - unless you assume the full barrio driving position, flat on your back, fingertips on the bottom of the wheel. And there are more of us of these dimensions every day. The world population, thanks to improved nutrition, is getting larger.

When I walked across a college campus 40 years ago, I was one of the tallest people in sight. Today, I'm barely average, and one day, I'm going to find myself among the smaller people around. It's happening everywhere - people from a variety of "small" ethnic backgrounds have discovered "American" culinary habits either here or at home, and whether through improved nutrition or hormone-laced beef, have shot up to "average" height. Add to this the fact that most have bulked up considerably over the past two or three generations, and now Asians along with Irish, Italian, and Hispanic peoples, not known for their imposing height, are becoming much taller as well.

My mother's cousin was a buyer for a large department store in Chicago who was transferred to Houston to manage a new store in the mid '60's. He immediately called the home office to order suits in "outrageous" sizes. It seems that the Chicago store carried up to a Men's 42 regular, where he discovered that was AVERAGE for men down here. He literally couldn't fit half his customers from stock. I once heard it explained that once immigrants full assimilated the "American" lifestyle and diet, and they began to abandon their cultural enclaves to move out into society at large, they simply got bigger.

Automakers need to take notice of that. The SUV became popular not because it was a stellar performer or that it was a status symbol or an economic suburban commuter, it became the next "family car" simply because families FIT into it. Try jamming a family of three into your Aveo with a car seat, blanket, diaper bag and a picnic basket. You may get it all in, but your next child will move you into a mommy van for sure.

Whatever happened to cars sized for full grown adults?
Old 10-11-07, 09:57 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Im 6'2 and fine in the GS/IS but they fit like a glove, I like that but Im sure most want some extra room
Old 10-11-07, 11:48 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

5'10" = tall for a asian and i fit just fine in my IS

Quick Reply: No more love for tall people from Lexus