Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Tint Question - Where It Is Illegal

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-07, 01:49 PM
luxury1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Tint Question - Where It Is Illegal

Hi All,

I usually write in the LS forum but had a question about tint and thought that I would have more success in this forum since there are more IS models and you are more active on this forum.

I have an LS460 and I want to tint it (35-40%) but the problem is that I live in PA where it is illegal. For those of you who have tinted in states where it is illegal, do the cops stop you or give you a hard time for your tint?

Also, what is the fine usually? Finally, once tint is applied, can it be easily removed if necessary (due to police)?

Thanks!
Old 10-11-07, 01:59 PM
weesped
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

humm, im not to sure on this one, but in ca ur not sopose to have the front windows tinted i think, but my brother's car is fine. n i know a few people in hawaii with 20% (35% is legal) n their fine, but if u have a riced out car cops seem to pick on u more, n fines r based per window i think. someone correct me if im wrong
Old 10-11-07, 02:07 PM
sjgIS350
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.tintdude.com/laws.html

try this
Old 10-11-07, 02:28 PM
luxury1
Lexus Test Driver

The chart shows that in PA (my state) your allowed 70% which is what all cars come with as standard tint. I want to increase it to 35%-40% thus triggering the above questions.
Old 10-11-07, 02:32 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Another thing to consider: 99.9% of cops will not pull you over for tint alone.

In other words, don't do anything stupid, and you should be fine with your tinted windows...
Old 10-11-07, 03:22 PM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Exclamation

I know I sound like a broken record, but your decision should not be based on whether you’ll get pulled over or not, but what will be safe as you drive, especially at night where illegal tints can be a problem.
Old 10-11-07, 05:14 PM
sjgIS350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Magellan
I know I sound like a broken record, but your decision should not be based on whether you’ll get pulled over or not, but what will be safe as you drive, especially at night where illegal tints can be a problem.
Amen to that one^^^..I had tint on a PU I had...it was great in the summer but I hated it in the dark rainy days of winter. Personally I wouldn't do it again..but its a person by person decision
Old 10-11-07, 05:55 PM
luxury1
Lexus Test Driver

The tint I am considering will not significantly impact night driving so my number one concern is police.
Old 10-11-07, 06:10 PM
italiandud
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Another thing to consider: 99.9% of cops will not pull you over for tint alone.

In other words, don't do anything stupid, and you should be fine with your tinted windows...
That sucks because my sister was that .1% that actually got pulled over for just tint.
Old 10-11-07, 06:49 PM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by luxury1
The tint I am considering will not significantly impact night driving so my number one concern is police.
Well, that begs the question: If your night driving is not impacted, suggesting legal tint, then why would you be concerned about the police? If the tint is illegal then how can your night driving not be impacted?
Old 10-11-07, 07:29 PM
shinbrianj
Driver

I used to live in Philly and you shouldn't get pulled over for that tint, but if u live somewhere else, I'm not too sure.
Old 10-11-07, 07:38 PM
Namir
Lead Lap

Im in Ohio, close to PA haha. But yea like most people have said, you usually won't get pulled over for tint.. especially in a lexus... and an LS at that. They pull over annoying rice rocket speeders with 15% tint and Coconut launchers coming out the back bumper. I do know stories of cops tacking on fines for tint for friends that got pulled over for speeding.
45% shouldn't get you pulled over. 25 and under might be an issue, but just drive safe and it shouldn't be a problem.
Old 10-11-07, 07:41 PM
dAiLL3sT
Lexus Test Driver

a way around all this problem is to have a doctors note saying u have eye vision problems with the light... or something like that... i have friends that got tints that were under the limit and still legal because they were allowed too through doctors.
Old 10-11-07, 07:49 PM
tC_demon
Pole Position

Well I have 35% in the front, 5% in the rear in the Lexus since March 07...no problems...Now I have the same % in the tC one week after getting the tint CHP pulls me over for the tint...B! They dont fine you its a fix it ticket...you have to correct the violation and you only pay a 10.00 administration fee.
Old 10-11-07, 09:59 PM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dAiLL3sT
a way around all this problem is to have a doctors note saying u have eye vision problems with the light... or something like that... i have friends that got tints that were under the limit and still legal because they were allowed too through doctors.
This is my comments from another post regarding cheating on warranties:
I couldn’t agree with you more. I get sick of the many forms of cheating that goes on around here and other sites where the posters think nothing of it. Besides lying to a dealer, we see threads advocating:

• Lying to your insurance company
• Lying to a judge in court (aka perjury)
Faking doctor notes to justify darker tints

How many thread responses have we seen that start with, “Just tell them that………………” without our giving it a second thought?
I rest my case on the mindset among some around here.

Quick Reply: Tint Question - Where It Is Illegal