Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Jaguar drops X-Type from US lineup

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-07, 11:27 AM
LexFather

Arrow Jaguar drops X-Type from US lineup

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl...8/newsletter02

Jaguar will pull the entry-level X-Type from the U.S. market next March when the sporty new XF sedan goes on sale. The automaker had been expected to keep the X-Type in the U.S. market until 2010.

Jaguar's most affordable model has always struggled in the U.S., and after peaking with sales of around 5000 cars in its launch year in 2003, sales have tailed off to below half that level, despite a wagon being added to the range.

U.S.-spec production will cease in December when Jaguar's factory switches over to a new facelifted 2009 model X-Type. That model will never make it to the U.S.; cars sold in the U.S. through March will be built to today's specifications prior to the model changeover.

Jaguar blames increasingly tough competition in the compact premium segment and the disadvantageous dollar to British pound ratio, which has affected profitability.

"Over the past 18 months Jaguar has been conducting a strategic review of its positioning in the premium luxury market," said a Jaguar spokesman, "and there were a number of unique circumstances in the North American market."

The new XF is a bigger and more expensive car than the X-Type. Jaguar expects sales of the rakish-looking sedan to compensate for the loss of the smaller Jag.

U.S. specifications and prices for the XF will be announced at the Los Angeles show in November, but the rumor is that XF volume is slated at around 5000 cars a year, similar to the combined volume of the X-Type and the bigger S-Type, the car that the XF directly replaces.

Jaguar's U.S. line-up of XFs is expected to consist solely of two V8 models--the lesser V6 not crossing the pond.

Old 10-13-07, 11:48 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Low sales or not, I don't think it's a good move. The X-Class had its faults, of course, in lackluster assembly quality, but it was the most affordable Jag, the only one with AWD in the American market (a boon in bad-weather areas) and offered those without huge sums of money a chance to look out the windshield at a leaping cat on the hood. In addition, it had classic Jag looks...I'll reserve judgement on the XF until I see it and review it, but right off the bat, it sounds like Jag may have sacrificed classic Jag style for mee-too-ism jelly-bean features.
Old 10-13-07, 12:48 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Low sales or not, I don't think it's a good move . . . . , it had classic Jag looks...I'll reserve judgement on the XF until I see it, and review it, but right off the bat, it sounds like Jag may have sacrificed classic Jag style for mee-too-ism jelly-bean features.
I think Jaguar is realizing that the classic Jag style they have stuck with is no longer working for them for too long already, except maybe to a small number of die-hards, which at least partially contributed to the low sales . . .
Old 10-13-07, 01:21 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Bout time. I rented one for a weekend and found it totally disappointing.
Old 10-13-07, 02:01 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Although it is not something I would own I have to say it at least looked like a luxury car and would not be mistaken for a lower end brand or car like many entry and mid luxury cars out right now. Even inside the interior "looked" more upscale then many of the techy interiors in alot of Japanese and American luxury cars recently. I know the quality of many of the plastics is cheap and not as well put together but the Jag did look the part. It had nice wood and soft leather and did a convincing job of looking expensive even though it shared alot with lesser models like Ford. If only they boosted performance of the engine to maybe 275hp-280hp, tightend up the handling, addressed the quality/reliability issues, used some better plastics, it might have been a decent alternative. There is a gray one at my apartment complex and it looks pretty sharp and more expensive then just an entry level lux car.
Old 10-13-07, 04:12 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It might be a good move.

Kep Jaguar "exclusive and expensive" alla Aston Martin or Bentley.

Give Jaguar the proper specs, engines, exclusivity, and quality; and let it be an "exotic" instead of a "regular" luxury vehicle. Let Jaguar become a true British Icon instead of a watered-down luxury car...
Old 10-13-07, 04:21 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 360 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
If only they boosted performance of the engine to maybe 275hp-280hp,
As an owner of a new X-type (it's almost 2 yrs old really, but still new) I can say there are areas that could be worked on, but power is not one of them. The 4wd transmission could not handle the increased power. It's a trick to keep tranny's in them at the current power rating according to some owners.

The styling is really all they have going for them so when they lose that in the new model I think it is going to bury the hatchet for Jag.

In regards to the current X-type.....I don't care who you are, that's one beautiful car.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=305279

Old 10-13-07, 09:48 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

X Type was an absolute POS build quality wise, terrible materials inside
Old 10-13-07, 10:12 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 360 Likes on 230 Posts

Actually it was the plastic parts that were bad. The wood and leather is excellent and it dominates the interior. There is very little plastic at all fortunately.
Old 10-14-07, 12:35 AM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yep. The wood and leather looked luxurious. But it is a bit cramped though.
Old 10-14-07, 09:50 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
X Type was an absolute POS build quality wise, terrible materials inside
Yes and no. The general build quality was not the best, but the materials inside were actually quite attractive.....after all, it IS a Jaguar.
Old 10-15-07, 02:19 PM
ProjectLex
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jaguar X-Type: Dud of the Decade?

Just wanted to share this article - I noticed it's been discussed in this thread, so I'll just add it here.

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2007...rssnyt&emc=rss

October 15, 2007, 2:13 pm
Jaguar X-Type: Dud of the Decade?

By Jerry Garrett

Tags: business, Ford, Jaguar, x type

Jaguar X-Type

The worst automobile of the decade? We still have three years to go in the “00’s,” but it seems highly unlikely any other offering in today’s automotive market could stink so badly for so many years as the Jaguar X-Type.

Who would have thought any other ‘00-era vehicle could out-stink the ugly Pontiac Aztek? But the Aztek, which embarrassed its manufacturer for only five years compared to eight for the X-Type, resulted only in the overdue, well deserved death of plastic body cladding. By the time Jaguar finally runs out of X-Types sometime next year (or, worst case scenario, the year after), it may be remembered as the model that took the venerable British luxury carmaker down with it.

It is not surprising that Jaguar, or actually its parent (for now) Ford Motor Company, has finally disclosed that it will kill the X-Type — as of the 2009 model year. What is surprising is that it took so long. The X-Type has been a dud since it was introduced in 2001.

But it could have been a cool car.

Let’s set the scene: BMW was having its way in the entry-level luxury car market with its 3-Series models. Dr. Wolfgang Reitzle, who was calling the shots at Jaguar then, had previously worked for BMW. So Dr. Reitzle knew exactly the type of vehicle it would take to go toe-to-toe with the 3-Series. And that’s what he set out to have Jaguar build.

But Ford, the former “Better Idea” company, sent in the bean counters, who decided they could cut costs by disguising a blue-collar Ford Mondeo, a family sedan sold only in Europe, as a blue-blooded Jag. They dumbed it down, cheapened it up, and chased off Dr. Reitzle (who decided he would rather sell forklifts than Fords).

But potential X-Type buyers were not as dumb as Ford counted on them to be. Instead of meeting its completely unrealistic sales goal of 100,000 X-Types a year, Jaguar struggled to sell half that many — in its best year (2003). After that, sales plunged faster than Enron stock. In 2005, when just 10,941 X-Types were sold, it was interesting to note that BMW’s 3-Series outsold the Jag 10-to-1. Only 5,416 moved off dealer lots last year, and only 2,403 through September of this year. (Sales have been a bit better internationally, where the X-Type will soldier on until 2010.) It comes as no shock that the X-Type’s residual values are consistently among the lowest in the auto industry (holding only about 21 percent, on average, of its original plus-$30,000 value after five years, according to Kelley Blue Book).

Funny footnote: Despite its reign of futility, the X-Type is the best-selling Jag of all time. But as a former owner of a Jaguar XJS, which was manufactured back in the days Jags oozed charisma (as well as oil), I ask: Were Jaguars ever meant to be as ubiquitous (and ordinary) as Big Macs?

Maybe the X-Type could have been saved, if Ford had decided to re-design it, rather than stick with the same D.O.A. design for the better part of a decade.

When Jaguar, in desperation, introduced an even crummier wagon version of the X-Type in 2005, I was reminded of a quote from Henry Ford: “A business that makes nothing but money is a poor business.”

Other contenders for “Dud of the Decade” fall far short of the X-Type’s year-over-year record of futility, such as the recall champion Ford Focus; Ford’s last tango with the minivan, the Freestar; all minivans from General Motors; the near-worthless Chrysler Sebring; the entire Hummer line, perennial punching bag for environmentalists; any Mitsubishi (except for the Lancer Evolution).

Who gets your vote for “Dud of the Decade”?

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2007...rssnyt&emc=rss

Check the link, there are some interesting comments on the bottom.
Old 10-15-07, 02:32 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Cool article. I think the car always looked good (never great, but good). Still to this day I do not know why Ford/Jaguar thought they were going to sell so many of them.

Oh well, out with the old, in with the new XF. I'm excited to see if Jag can pick up some sort of momentum with the new cars.
Old 10-15-07, 02:53 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am happy to see it go.
It might look good, but IMO, it is the worst Entry ( Luxury ) car to buy... I drove one, and it was BADDD....
Old 10-15-07, 03:02 PM
Trexus

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

R.I.P. Jaguar X-Type...see ya, wouldn't wanna be ya...

Last edited by Trexus; 10-15-07 at 07:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Jaguar drops X-Type from US lineup