Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Is the Mercedes Panorama roof on the ML430 really that bad?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-07, 11:20 PM
Solo_D33A
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w163...unroof-ml.html

I heard of MBworld, but somehow not Benzworld and interestingly I was a part of MBKlasse lol so many
Old 10-13-07, 11:24 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Tangerine
Page not found from the link. MBWorld.Org is better =)
Not when it comes to info for the W163. Benzworld rules for that. Some new forum called pointedthree.com isn't bad either. Not as active (if at all), but it does have the DIY and technical stuff in the stickies (WIS, mods, DIY, etc).
Old 10-13-07, 11:39 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 351 Likes on 227 Posts

Benzworld = banned MBworld members

(funny AND true.)

The bottom line is that I really don't mind the maintenance on the 163. My last few cars (excluding my IS300) Was a Porsche Turbo, a BMW E36, a 'Vette, and a JAG. Obviously I don't mind buying s^%$loads of parts.
Old 10-14-07, 12:18 AM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

nah.. stick with the CLK... plus to be honest, that rear chrome bar is ugly as hell.
Old 10-14-07, 12:23 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Originally Posted by Nextourer
nah.. stick with the CLK... plus to be honest, that rear chrome bar is ugly as hell.
Agreed, that is why I checked the size of the bolts that mount it to the frame while I was there

Last edited by O. L. T.; 10-14-07 at 12:40 AM.
Old 10-14-07, 04:33 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wouldn't even consider it.

As my girlfriend said...."I almost rear ended a refrigerator white Caravan when I first saw the ML b/c it was so ugly and couldn't believe it was a Mercedes!"

and the interior is the most horrid quality Mercedes I've been in IMO.

No offense to those who may own a ML, just my opinion.
Old 10-14-07, 10:07 AM
thetopdog
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The ML is horrendous, you would literally have to pay me to drive one. Why not just trade your CLK for a CLK convertible? Why resort to driving an ML if you're not a soccer mom?
Old 10-14-07, 10:54 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 750 Likes on 520 Posts

My g/f's parents got a ML when their old S-Class was totaled in an accident. According to them, it was the worst decision they ever made.
Old 10-14-07, 11:09 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

I wouldn't be happy going from am S to an ML either.
Old 10-14-07, 11:31 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Well, another fuel to the fire.
Close friend bought an ML (similar year) for his mom.
They swore they will never buy another mb b/c of that ML-monthly electrical problems galore

Of course it's a hit and miss.
Old 10-14-07, 11:31 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by MugenRD1
The C class / E class panoramic roof is different from the ML.

Here is a picture :

The Benz ML is rubbish and drives as such. I would not trade in a Lego car for it. If you want a Panaramic roof look into the Porshe Cayenne or BMW X3.

Here is the full sliding panoramic roof on the X3
Attached Thumbnails Is the Mercedes Panorama roof on the ML430 really that bad?-roof.jpg  
Old 10-14-07, 12:47 PM
Hartawan
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep your CLK. I didn't like the ML we had.
Old 10-14-07, 02:31 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Tangerine

So you know 1 person with a Mercedes that had issues??

Well all of the people I know with a Mercedes are happy with their vehicles, none had major issues just a few bugs. Mercedes took care of them and were content with their purchases. Stop generalizing. O.L.T owns a Mercedes him/herself so he/she already knows what its like owning one...
I think you should reread the post a couple times as I never said I knew just one person with a Mercedes or Mercedes ML that had issues, I don't know how you got that from that post. I will repeat if you did not understand it the first time that I know "several" people who had MLs including my cousin as well as I have talked to many that had MLs and they all had many problems with them and most had to get rid of them because of all the problems. I know several people who have had Mercedes vehicles and some love them and others disliked the experience but everyone I have talked to and have known pretty much all said they hated the ML and it gave them tons of problems and was not a worthy Mercedes vehicle and felt very cheap and poorly designed. I do like many Mercedes vehicles like the current E class, S class, SL, CL, SLR, but I don't like the ML at all and have heard of nothing but bad experiences with the vehicle from the people I have talked to.
Old 10-14-07, 03:32 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 750 Likes on 520 Posts

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
I wouldn't be happy going from am S to an ML either.
Neither would I Their main complaint was that their S was solid as a rock while the ML...not so much. They only brought the S in for regular services and they had that thing for almost 7 years befor the accident. The ML goes back to the dealer at least 4 (unscheduled) times a year for the last 3 years.
Old 10-14-07, 11:08 PM
Tangerine
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
I think you should reread the post a couple times as I never said I knew just one person with a Mercedes or Mercedes ML that had issues, I don't know how you got that from that post. I will repeat if you did not understand it the first time that I know "several" people who had MLs including my cousin as well as I have talked to many that had MLs and they all had many problems with them and most had to get rid of them because of all the problems. I know several people who have had Mercedes vehicles and some love them and others disliked the experience but everyone I have talked to and have known pretty much all said they hated the ML and it gave them tons of problems and was not a worthy Mercedes vehicle and felt very cheap and poorly designed. I do like many Mercedes vehicles like the current E class, S class, SL, CL, SLR, but I don't like the ML at all and have heard of nothing but bad experiences with the vehicle from the people I have talked to.
Yea I was kidding about you knowing one person with a Mercedes, hence the smiley nod. Well one of my best friend drives an ML, although the first one had a transmission malfunction, it was later replaced and as a matter of fact Mercedes bumped up the vehicle to fully loaded. No complaints from my friend. The new one have served him well. It felt safe and drove like a truck, since it is built on a non-sedan platform. It was a capable off roader unlike the renovated chassis that replaced it. I also know of more people who own Mercedes (my town is full of them and its getting annoying seeing so many). I, myself am also a Mercedes owner. I have had the car since 04 and around 60k miles now, the only issue I had was that the catalytic converter needed replacing which was covered under warranty. My mom's Mercedes, also the same year with 30kish miles have had not one single issue. Same deal with my dad's previous car, not one single issue. I dunno why your friends are having issues with their cars while my friends are not. So I'm just gonna say that no car is perfect and leave it at that.

Quick Reply: Is the Mercedes Panorama roof on the ML430 really that bad?