Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus: Brand for Over 50

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-07 | 11:11 AM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Well Jim, if you think Lexus is an old brand, look no further than your new brand Lincoln, which has an average age of 87. Most of those people moved up from a Model T to a new Lincoln.
lol... that was funny.
Old 10-18-07 | 08:42 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

For Lexus, I think they should concentrate on attracting the sophisicated and wealthy buyers, albeit old. You can't be all things to all people. If I'm a 7 series driver and I just paid over $85K for my 750iL, do I really want to be in the same crowd as the punk that's about to pay $30K for a 1 series? I'm sure the LS460 driver wants to be along side a IS250...

Scion was created to be the stepping stone to Toyota. Scion from college to late 20's. Then Toyota is for when that person gets married and has a family. Thus leading to Lexus for when they're more mature and ready to enjoy their middle age.
Old 10-18-07 | 09:42 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
CL Folding 25,000

I was 19-20 years old when I got my Lexus. I just loved the car and the brand.

However I will say that until Lexus gives us some damn Sport Coupes (and no the very expensive SC430 does not count), they will have a long way to go before grabbing tons of attention from the young crowd. The IS-F is on the right track, gives us enthusiasts and young adults something to talk about and aspire to but they cant stop there.
Old 10-18-07 | 10:01 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by GFerg
I was 19-20 years old when I got my Lexus. I just loved the car and the brand.

However I will say that until Lexus gives us some damn Sport Coupes (and no the very expensive SC430 does not count), they will have a long way to go before grabbing tons of attention from the young crowd. The IS-F is on the right track, gives us enthusiasts and young adults something to talk about and aspire to but they cant stop there.
Very good point, they need a 30k-40k sport coupe.
Old 10-19-07 | 07:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
My family has three Lexus.

My sister was 31 when she bought her GS300.
I was 28 when I got the IS350.
My brother was 25 when he got his ES350.

I think that Lexus drivers are conservative compared to other luxury car drivers, but not "elderly." Yes, BMW and Audi drivers will be younger than Lexus and Mercedes drivers, but that doesn't make us "elderly."
BMW 7-series drivers, on the average, are not very young, certainly not as young as 3-series or Z3/Z4 drivers. The average Audi A8 is not driven by 20-something year olds either. But your point is well taken.....and I agree with you. There is no reason that either young people or older people have to buy their car based on "Image". I've seen 80-year-olds in Chevy Aveos and teen-agers in Lincolns.
Old 10-23-07 | 10:29 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
theres really not a whole lot of 20-30 year olds that can afford one in the first place. Obviously the older folks have the money to drop on a more expensive car
Lexus doesn't care so much about the 20-30 year olds. They want those buyers to get hooked on Scion and Toyota. Then, when they actually have disposable income, if they love Toyota products, they move up to a Lexus. To me, a Camry is a bit more of snoozer than the Accord, as is a Highlander (but I have not driven an '08 yet) vs. a Pilot, so it's not surprising that an Acura TL is sportier than an ES350, or an MDX is sportier than an RX350.
Old 10-23-07 | 11:26 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Only an idiot lets his or her purchase decision be influenced by it. I sure never did.
The masses are swayed due to their lack of backbone. They relay on journalists and "market surveys" to determine or verify the purchasing process. Buyer's remorse isn't from the realization one had other options, it is caused by the media onslaught telling them they should have done otherwise. Other words...moo.
Old 10-23-07 | 03:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RA40
The masses are swayed due to their lack of backbone. They relay on journalists and "market surveys" to determine or verify the purchasing process. Buyer's remorse isn't from the realization one had other options, it is caused by the media onslaught telling them they should have done otherwise. Other words...moo.
No arguments there. You are right on....I agree 100% The media, especially the auto press, is one of the main instigators of this "image" nonsense that dictates so much of auto-buying decisions.

I have often been asked if I write about cars for a living, or would consider doing so professionally. The short answer is no.....I have, in general, a low opinion of the auto press (I have for years) and simply don't want to be a part of them. The newspaper auto write-ups are some of the worst.

However, they are not all second-rate. John Davis of Motorweek (I know him casually), Patrick Bedard of Car and Driver, and Rich Ceppos of Autoweek are three of the auto journalists I have a high opinion of.
Old 10-23-07 | 04:05 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

not so many 20-30 yrs old can afford a new Lexus.
but hey, I was 21 when I got my first Lex. and now I am 27 and have had 17, currently 3 ( not all new lexus though )
I had 2 bimmers too, and driven so many different brands, it is Lexus who got my heart set on.