Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Unified design theme for future Toyota hybrids

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-07, 06:32 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts
Default Unified design theme for future Toyota hybrids

Unified design theme for future Toyota hybrids

Posted on Monday 15 October 2007

One of the key reasons Toyota has had such success with the Prius is the instantly recognizable green image the car projects. That’s one of the major reasons why the Prius has gone on to sell almost 140,000 units in the U.S. this year whereas the similarly efficient Camry Hybrid sold just under 40,000. People buying hybrid vehicles not only want the peace of mind that they’re doing their part to help the environment but they also want people around them to know it.

Toyota and most other carmakers for that matter have realized this and that’s why for its next-generation of hybrids Toyota will be unifying the design of the eco-friendly cars so that they present a common green image. The design is still being finalized but Toyota’s chief designer, Wahei Hirai, gave Automotive News a preview of it, which is said to resemble the Prius shape but with more character lines as seen in the 1/X concept (pictured).

The cars will feature more body sculpting for sharper angles and edges in a similar fashion to the lines on the iQ minicar concept. These are said to reduce drag while at the same time improve stability, revealed Hirai.

Of course there will still be hybrids based on regular models but these will have unique grilles, bumpers or headlights to differentiate them, the Chief designer explained.
via motorauthority
Old 10-15-07, 06:54 AM
carguy101
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How is the Camry Hybrid "similarly efficient"?
Old 10-15-07, 07:06 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hybrid technology is expensive. To create a different design variant of the same car (Camry, Highlander, etc), it is going to add further cost.

Hopefully, there is a happy medium, where consumers are willing to pay a little extra for the aknowledgement...
Old 10-15-07, 10:46 AM
xioix
Racer

I think sales production, is more a reason why Camry hybrid sales are not closer to the Prius, can't compare them apples to apples here
Old 10-15-07, 02:29 PM
LexFather

Considering the Prius initally sold 40,000 units, the Camry is doing FANTASTIC. It also have a higher MRSP. The Author fails to mention that.

Also Prius production is ramped up, Camry production is not.

Old 10-15-07, 03:23 PM
Shoyuu
Lexus Test Driver

I'd rather have a hybrid that looks like a normal car. I guess I'm in the minority, but I could care less if people knew I was driving a hybrid.

Not a big fan of the Prius look.
Old 10-15-07, 04:17 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Shoyuu
I'd rather have a hybrid that looks like a normal car. I guess I'm in the minority, but I could care less if people knew I was driving a hybrid.

Not a big fan of the Prius look.
I don't think you are in the minority. Those people that like the unique "I'm a Hybrid look" probably already bought their hybrids. There are a lot of people out there that wouldn't mind a hybrid, but the cost is still a little high, and/or the real good hybrids like the Prius look to radically different. I'm with you, I rather have a normal looking hybrid like the Camry, Accord, Civic, RX400H, GS450H and such. Given the right price, I'd be willing to buy any one of them right now. I wouldn't buy a Prius or Honda Insight though. I'm one of those that don't really care about the "Green" image.
Old 10-15-07, 05:36 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't really care lol. I don't mind the Prius (well duh cause I have one) and I don't mind a regular looking car either. I have times where I don't mind that I'm in a Prius, other times that I wish I was in a Camry Hybrid (usually the times when I get tailgated and cut off)
Old 10-15-07, 07:54 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Considering the Prius initally sold 40,000 units, the Camry is doing FANTASTIC. It also have a higher MRSP. The Author fails to mention that.

Also Prius production is ramped up, Camry production is not.
My thoughts exactly. The Camry is really kickin butt, just look at the failed Accord hybrid. I'd be more tempted own a Camry hybrid than a Prius, being that I think they look nice and they are faster. But alas I cannot afford either one.
Old 10-15-07, 10:16 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
My thoughts exactly. The Camry is really kickin butt, just look at the failed Accord hybrid. I'd be more tempted own a Camry hybrid than a Prius, being that I think they look nice and they are faster. But alas I cannot afford either one.
up here in Canada, it's selling better than the Prius.

In BC, 1 in 4 Camrys sold is a Hybrid. I believe it's 1 in 10 across the country. I really do see a lot around my city (both privately owned and taxis)
Old 10-16-07, 01:24 AM
tod071
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
I don't think you are in the minority. Those people that like the unique "I'm a Hybrid look" probably already bought their hybrids. There are a lot of people out there that wouldn't mind a hybrid, but the cost is still a little high, and/or the real good hybrids like the Prius look to radically different. I'm with you, I rather have a normal looking hybrid like the Camry, Accord, Civic, RX400H, GS450H and such. Given the right price, I'd be willing to buy any one of them right now. I wouldn't buy a Prius or Honda Insight though. I'm one of those that don't really care about the "Green" image.
+1. I actually have both RXh and GSh and love the power of them. When people see my cars, they just say "nice car". Until they see the Hybrid badge on the GS. I have to tell people that the RX is a Hybrid because of the lack of noticeable features (round fogs and the 400h emblem). I often get asked about the gas mileage, but tell people the differences between Toyota hybrids and Lexus hybrids. Toyotas are made for fuel efficiency, Lexus are made for power. Personally, I'd rather have the normal looking car, but with more noticeable features that highlight the Hybrid.
Old 10-16-07, 05:55 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tod071
+1. I actually have both RXh and GSh and love the power of them. When people see my cars, they just say "nice car". Until they see the Hybrid badge on the GS. I have to tell people that the RX is a Hybrid because of the lack of noticeable features (round fogs and the 400h emblem). I often get asked about the gas mileage, but tell people the differences between Toyota hybrids and Lexus hybrids. Toyotas are made for fuel efficiency, Lexus are made for power. Personally, I'd rather have the normal looking car, but with more noticeable features that highlight the Hybrid.
The 400h has LED tails that are darker than regular 330/350s. Don't they also have a "hybrid" badge on the quarter panel?
Is the GS substantially different looking than the GSh?
Old 10-16-07, 07:10 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Yeah, I actualy see more Camry hybrids here than Priui nowdays.
Old 10-16-07, 07:27 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Koma
The 400h has LED tails that are darker than regular 330/350s. Don't they also have a "hybrid" badge on the quarter panel?
Not really.

There are differences in wheel design, emblems (it now has that blue "glow"), and sideskirt badging.
Old 10-16-07, 09:39 AM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Koma
They added the HYBRID emblem in the rear door panel later. Early models (05s and I guess 06 models too) didn't have them.

Also for 2007, the "h" is blue. For 2008, they'll add that blue glow to the L emblem.

The GSh can be recognised by the sweet twin spoke alloys with the chrome spoke in between each "twin" spoke. A beautiful wheel design IMO. That's about it... well aside from the HYBRID emblems in the lower rear doors which are nearly impossible to see if the car's moving and the "h" in the back.

Quick Reply: Unified design theme for future Toyota hybrids