Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Rumors: BMW To Create Eco-Friendly 4th Brand

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-07, 08:33 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts
Default Rumors: BMW To Create Eco-Friendly 4th Brand

Monday, October 15, 2007

Rumors: BMW To Create Eco-Friendly 4th Brand

Mark our words; over the next few months we’re going to be hearing a lot of rumours about BMW Group (BMW, MINI & Rolls Royce) and its alleged 4th brand. Following last week’s report from UK magazine Autoexpress referring to the renaissance of the Triumph brand (BMW holds the rights to the name), German business magazine Wirtschaftswoche is now reporting that the Bavarians are in search of an engineering firm that will help them develop a series of eco-friendly vehicles for a new brand.

In his speech towards the group’s shareholders back in September, BMW Group CEO , Norbert Reithofer did not rule out acquisitions or the creation of a new brand. However Reithofer did note that none of the existing brands fit neatly into the group.

Ok, so BMW is interested in adding a fourth brand to its portfolio. What next? Well, basically the Bavarian’s have three options: A- Acquire an existing brand that’s for sale (eg. Volvo), B- Create a new brand from scratch and C- Revive a brand using one of the names you hold the rights to (eg. Triumph). Every option has its pros and cons, but to make a long story short, we’d go for option “B”; create a new brand. An “eco-friendly” brand sounds even better. -Continued after the jump

Why go into all that hassle to buy an existing carmaker along with factories, debts etc or use one of the useless Brit names (petrolheads aside, the younger generations have no idea of obsolete marques like Truimph). We’re not saying that it’s going to be easy (think Mercedes-Benz and Smart), but BMW has proven the past two decades that, with the exception of the failed Rover/MG-Rover Group marriage, it can create and market vehicles that people want to buy.

Via: Just-Auto (sub. Req)
via carscoop
Old 10-15-07, 12:00 PM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think this is a great move on BMW's part. I think they should've put the 1 series under the new brand though. Does BMW still own rights to Rover cars?
Old 10-15-07, 12:58 PM
LetMeShowU
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

An eco-friendly 4th brand, eh? It seems BMW is trying to beat Lexus at its own game here. I gotta say, I'm really loving how the Germans are attempting to keep up with Toyota and their green image. I keep seeing those commercials for the hydrogen 7 series - "ready for the world, when the world is ready". It sends a very strong message, IMO.

The next few years should be very interesting. I wonder which brand will be the first to offer the lithium-ion batteries in their hybrids. Something tells me it might not be Toyota/Lexus.
Old 10-15-07, 02:27 PM
LexFather

I hope someone tries to beat Toyota/Lexus. Competition is good. Too many carmakers have their heads up their butts about fuel economy.

Go BMW!

Old 10-15-07, 05:35 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LetMeShowU
I keep seeing those commercials for the hydrogen 7 series - "ready for the world, when the world is ready". It sends a very strong message, IMO.
That basically means, it's not OUR fault for not releasing a hydrogen car to the market. It's YOUR fault for not wanting/needing/begging for/ready to own one.