Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Maybach 62 Laundaulet Goes Into Production (price for America at $1.35 million)

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-07, 08:57 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts
Default Maybach 62 Laundaulet Goes Into Production (price for America at $1.35 million)

Speculation: Maybach 62 Landaulet

Partly soft-top convertible

The usually well informed AutoTelegraaf.nl released a short article today about the upcoming Middle East International Motor Show (MEIMS) in Dubai and that Maybach is planning to debut a brand new Maybach 62 Landaulet there.

The 'landau' was made popular in the '20s and '30s and was basicly a fixed soft-top roof instead of a metal one. The 'landaulet' has a fixed soft-top roof from the A-pillar to the B-pillar (covering the driver) and becomes a retractable soft-top from the B-pillar to the rear.

The Maybach 62 Landaulet will be limited to 20 units and seems to be aimed mainly at the superrich in the United Arab Emirates. The 62 Landaulet will be launched on 13 November during the MEIMS press day and on show from 14 until 18 November during the public days.

Attached is a Maybach Cabrio computer rendering. The Maybach 62 Landaulet will most likely look nothing like the image.
via worldcarfans
Old 10-15-07, 09:19 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I like the computer rendering. It's a very glorified version of the Continental GT.

Exclusivity at it's best for Maybach...
Old 10-15-07, 10:10 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

Maybach really needs to get some spunk into their designs. I see the brand as a rather bland status symbol saloon.
Old 10-15-07, 11:58 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Robarapta
Attached is a Maybach Cabrio computer rendering. The Maybach 62 Landaulet will most likely look nothing like the image.
Why bother with a rendering...?
Old 10-15-07, 12:24 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Koma
Why bother with a rendering...?
Because someone with Photoshop skills had five minutes to kill...
Old 10-15-07, 12:59 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the 1960 one is so cool
i think they definitely need to make a modern version of that
Old 10-15-07, 02:17 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Bland looking, but they might as well do it. RR and Bentley already have big luxo convertibles available.
Old 10-15-07, 04:26 PM
MoLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Do you know how you know if a car is boring? When you yawn when you click on it. Maybach needs to have an emergency exit plan. This doesn't seem like it will do much to hit the sales target they want.
Old 11-02-07, 04:40 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Rather surprised they'd debut at Dubai show. Locals tend to opt for limo tint and/or bullet-resistant glass for their high-end transport. Not a great idea from a security standpoint to ride in a ragtop, not too smart to flaunt one's wealth unless it can be done anonymously. If I had the cash needed for a Maybach, maybe I'd consider something like a Stryker with a REALLY nice interior. Just the thing for entertaining eight of your closest friends. Wouldn't need Scotchgard to keep the bloodstains from soaking into the seats, either.

OTOH, Dubai is the home of conspicuous consumption.
Old 11-02-07, 04:48 AM
AJ
Lexus Champion

I like it
Old 11-02-07, 04:53 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

The words "flogging" and "dead horse" come to mind.
Old 11-02-07, 06:44 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Lil4X
Rather surprised they'd debut at Dubai show. Locals tend to opt for limo tint and/or bullet-resistant glass for their high-end transport. Not a great idea from a security standpoint to ride in a ragtop, not too smart to flaunt one's wealth unless it can be done anonymously. If I had the cash needed for a Maybach, maybe I'd consider something like a Stryker with a REALLY nice interior. Just the thing for entertaining eight of your closest friends. Wouldn't need Scotchgard to keep the bloodstains from soaking into the seats, either.

OTOH, Dubai is the home of conspicuous consumption.
Popular to contrary belief, security in Dubai is pretty lax. The Sheik travels with just his driver, walks openly in public, and is so well loved through the community he has no fear of being attacked/assassinated.

Also, people there do flaunt their wealth openly. There is less crime in Dubai then there is in 99% of the world. Punishments are so severe that theft/robberies are all but non-existent.

Jonny
Old 11-02-07, 06:48 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

I still love the interior, but other than that, no . . .
Old 11-02-07, 06:55 AM
Koma

Originally Posted by Dx3
Popular to contrary belief, security in Dubai is pretty lax. The Sheik travels with just his driver, walks openly in public, and is so well loved through the community he has no fear of being attacked/assassinated.

Also, people there do flaunt their wealth openly. There is less crime in Dubai then there is in 99% of the world. Punishments are so severe that theft/robberies are all but non-existent.

Jonny
I wish that were the case here. People have no morals here. Why can't everyone live by the code of do unto others as you would have them unto you.
Slightly sad story:
I saw a lady back up into a covered motorcycle/scooter knocking it over. And I saw her back into it again trying to park into the spot in front of it. I figured she probably wouldn't leave a note since no one does, everyone would rather hit and run. So I left a note giving him my cell number and the person's license plate number. I noticed she did leave a note (to my surprise). The guy called me and said that I "gave him faith in humanity again." A simple gesture like that and people have faith in humanity again? Anyone should do the same, if it was their vehicle they would've wanted a witness.
I come back to my car from work often to see more paint missing off the bumper or scuff marks, door dings. Tons of crap, no one ever thinks to leave a note. Even at my own private parking spot, I came back once to so a HUGE smear of silver paint on my car rubbed off from someone else's bumper. It's one thing to not notice that you had hit someone's car a little bit but to rub paint in a one foot smear is another. You have to notice that you're hitting someone's car at that point.

Back on topic, I think it's an impractical car for anyone but Maybach's aren't practical. It doesn't look bad though.
Old 11-02-07, 06:56 AM
cpone
There can only be One

I thought it was pretty cool.

Quick Reply: Maybach 62 Laundaulet Goes Into Production (price for America at $1.35 million)