Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Porsche likely to buy VW this month

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-07, 04:15 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts
Default Porsche likely to buy VW this month

Porsche likely to buy VW this month

Posted on Monday 15 October 2007

Volkswagen has a bit of a reputation in the German auto industry as carrying some “bloat”. Workers are paid 20% more than the German average, the company has funded the high-profile but incredibly costly Bugatti Veyron, and remarkably few synergies have been developed with its other automotive divisions such as Audi. Recently appointed VW CEO Martin Winterkorn has been working hard to change some of VW’s ways, but Porsche’s entry as majority shareholder will likely shake things up even more.

An outdated law, known as the “VW Law” has prohibited any entity from holding more than 20% of the voting rights of the Wolfsburg auto maker, no matter how much stock they hold. A decision by the European Court of Justice expected to be issued October 23 will declare that law to be in violation of EU rules. The upshot is that Porsche will be expected to increase its holding of VW stock to 51%, achieving majority ownership and majority voting rights.

Wendelin Wiedeking, Porsche’s CEO, has been turning things around at the premium performance auto maker for the last several years, increasing efficiency and decreasing production and development times. Wiedeking is reportedly looking to use techniques to trim the fat from VW’s corporate bottom line, according to Automotive News. The take-over isn’t without its potential hassles, however. Wiedeking has said that he’ll only allot half the seats on the corporate labor board to VW, despite VW’s 324,000-member labor force dwarfing Porsche’s 12,000 workers. Bernd Osterloh, head of VW’s workers council, said he’d sue Porsche if they went ahead with such a plan.
via motorauthority
Old 10-15-07, 04:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Didn't think Porsche had the kind of money to buy VW....a much larger firm. Porsche, at least among mainstream auto manufacturers, is one of the smallest ones in the buisness......they are not Toyota or GM by any means. And what is even more strange is that Porsche has always wanted to be independent and not tied down to or allied with any other auto firm, though there are loose ties to VW and Audi. Porsche prides itself on that independence.
Old 10-15-07, 04:24 PM
MoLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think Porsche wants to become the GM of Germany.
Old 10-15-07, 04:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MoLexus
I think Porsche wants to become the GM of Germany.
If so, it would be a totally new marketing approach for them. The only reason they even did the Cayenne was that they deemed it necessary for the company's survival in the SUV-crazy American market.
Old 10-15-07, 04:28 PM
MoLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
If so, it would be a totally new marketing approach for them. The only reason they even did the Cayenne was that they deemed it necessary for the company's survival in the SUV-crazy American market.
Which they don't seem to be doing bad in.
Old 10-15-07, 04:32 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hmmm...

I think Porsche should stay away. They're doing great on their own. It would be one hell of a burden to carry VW.

Porsche is a powerful niche product. It's more difficult to create an "everyday" vehicle that will succeed and surpass Japanese icons...
Old 10-15-07, 04:34 PM
Trexus

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Didn't think Porsche had the kind of money to buy VW....a much larger firm. Porsche, at least among mainstream auto manufacturers, is one of the smallest ones in the buisness......they are not Toyota or GM by any means. And what is even more strange is that Porsche has always wanted to be independent and not tied down to or allied with any other auto firm, though there are loose ties to VW and Audi. Porsche prides itself on that independence.
It seems like Porschse wants to be like Toyota. VW would be the high volume cost savings division just like Toyota and Porsche would be like Lexus the upscale luxury and performance division...
Old 10-15-07, 04:36 PM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

I'll believe it... when I see it.
Old 10-15-07, 04:38 PM
excluesive
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

But isn't that kind of what Audi already is to VW? I guess that's how I always saw it (design wise)
Old 10-15-07, 04:45 PM
Trexus

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by excluesive
But isn't that kind of what Audi already is to VW? I guess that's how I always saw it (design wise)
Very true. Audi is the luxury division of VW. Then I'm not sure what Porsche is trying to accomplish...
Old 10-15-07, 05:00 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Trexus
Very true. Audi is the luxury division of VW. Then I'm not sure what Porsche is trying to accomplish...
Economies of scale, put VW switchgear in Porsches, platform sharing, etc. I think we're all familiar with this concept. Every other manufacturer seems to be doing it these days. Even Lamborghini has done it on the Gallardo by sharing its platform with the R8, so why not them. Oh wait, if this happens, it will put Lamborghini under the control of Porsche.
Old 10-15-07, 05:33 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

wait.. so if they're buying VW.. that means they're taking over Audi, Bugatti, Skoda and Lamborghini?
Old 10-15-07, 06:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jwong77
Economies of scale, put VW switchgear in Porsches, platform sharing, etc.
Though there are a few exceptions, VW switchgear, for the most part, is pretty good nowadays...see my recent review of the R32.

But your point is taken. Most Porsche-o-philes today certainly don't want to go back to the days of the late 1940's and 50's when Porsches were just redone VW products with redone VW Beetle engines. In street form, they were just basically lowered, flattened Beetles with two seats. I'm sure Porsche fans would like more affordable new Porsches (most of their products, today, IMO, are somewhat overpriced for what you get), but not at the expense of that kind of economization.
Old 10-15-07, 06:22 PM
LexFather

bit, I am assuming buy VW stock?????

Old 10-15-07, 06:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
bit, I am assuming buy VW stock?????
Just go to work for Porsche.........they might GIVE you some as an employee benefit .

Quick Reply: Porsche likely to buy VW this month