Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Double Review: 2008 Saturn Sky Turbo/Non-Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-07, 12:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by tbardoni
"require more oil maintenance.....preferably with synthetic"

This is not true...according to the THREE service managers I spoke with. They all said to use regular ol' oil in my Sky Red Line.
Yes, as you note, you CAN use dino oil in turbos, especially with Turbo-Approved dino oil, but usually it is best to use synthetic....the Saturn reps at the D.C Auto Show, where I first saw the car, confirmed that, although, granted, they were not engineers. Turbos run at extreme heat, RPM's, and pressures. Under some conditons, especially without an intercooler, they can literally cook conventional oil, especially low-quality oil.

I looked at both the Sky and Miata. It wasn't a hard decision to make at all. You are right about the cheap hinges on the trunk and hood and it is silly that they couldn't design the hood to open/close unimpeded by an open door, but I don't agree with your issue with the ragtop. First, I prefer that the top be hidden away in the trunk. Secondly, and more importantly, unless your not of the human race, the top is EASY to stow away. You think getting out of the car is an issue? It literally takes no more than 20 seconds to put up or down. No problem here.
True, no problem.....until you compare that with getting in the latest Miata and doing the whole thing in 3 or 4 seconds, right from the drivers' seat, especially for people like me with long arms and a high reach. I'm looking at this in comparative terms.

The scroll **** on the seats are awkward, to say the least. You pretty much have to open the door to get to them. But how often do seat positions get changed?
It was difficult for me even with the door open, but if it is a one-driver-only car, you have a point.

The trunk, with the top down fits more than you would think. I can fit my golf clubs, bag and all, with no problem. I can fit quite a few bags of groceries. No hard luggage will fit, but there's no issue with a weeks worth of cloting for two people stowed away in duffle bags or soft luggage. And remember, this all with the top stowed IN THE TRUNK. There's a lot more room if the top is up.

There is ton more power with the Red Line compared to the Miata. Getting in and out is definitely easier.

Sure, the Miata may be engineered better, but they have 20 years on the Sky.

And one thing that is undeniable is that the looks of the Sky are much better than the Plain Looking Miata.

Looks, of course, are subective. I agree the Sky looks better than the Solstice. Better than the Miata? Maybe.....IMO they are about equal there.

The Miata definitely has more trunk space with the top down....not only by my subjective opinion on the reviews, but by Mazda's and GM's actual measurements.
But you are correct that the Sky not the worst roadster I've seen for trunk space....that honor, among modern roadsters, without question, has to go to the last-generation Toyota MR-2.

No arguements on the Sky's turbo power (although there are MazdaSpeed Turbo Miatas, too). The turbo's excellent, relatively lag-free response was one of the main things I listed in the car's favor....and in the value of the 32K price.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-18-07 at 12:41 PM.
Old 10-18-07, 12:37 PM
tbardoni
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I forgot to thank you for the review. So, thank you.
Old 10-18-07, 12:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I forgot to thank you for the review. So, thank you.
You're quite welcome. Anytime. PM me or post if you have any more requests.
Old 10-18-07, 01:12 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"require more oil maintenance.....preferably with synthetic"

This is not true...according to the THREE service managers I spoke with. They all said to use regular ol' oil in my Sky Red Line.

The last person I would take automotive advise from is a dealership service advisor/manager.

1. There is NO requirement for intimate knowedge of automobiles, let alone the brand they work for.

2. Their incentive is to get you to have all service done there. Why would they recommend synthethic when that would theoretically stretch the time between oil changes?
Old 10-18-07, 02:03 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,584 Posts

I looked at both the Sky and Miata. It wasn't a hard decision to make at all.
Nor for me - I got the Miata. The "Rubik's roof" on the Sky/Solstice is a deal breaker for me. Mine goes up or down in 5 seconds with one hand, easily done at any traffic light or anywhere without getting out of the car. I also like knowing of Mazda's experience with the roadster, that this is the 3rd gen, and that it's tops in reliability. And the top doesn't eat into the trunk at all.

Sure, the Miata may be engineered better, but they have 20 years on the Sky.
Agreed.

And one thing that is undeniable is that the looks of the Sky are much better than the Plain Looking Miata.
I do agree the Sky has more visual impact but I don't think the Miata is plain.

And on power, yes the Sky has more, but what does it weigh? I assume a good bit more, but anyway, I'm fine with the power in the Miata and its gearing.