Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New car in a few months

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-07, 08:38 PM
Jakex1
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New car in a few months

I am getting another car soon (need to take it to college) but shelling out 20k for a used older Lexus doesnt seem worth it, when i can get newer coupes (g35's/Z's) etc etc. Any suggestions?
Old 10-17-07, 04:51 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Depends on your priorities. If you have 20K to spend, want a coupe, and don't want a used car, you can look at a new Scion tC. Save up a couple more thousand and you can stick on a TRD-approved supercharger.

Buying the car is one thing....there is also maintenance. A new tC will cost a lot less to maintain than a used G35 or Z.
Old 10-17-07, 07:22 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Insurance costs >>> Car costs...

So, you're 17. (I saw your sig... )

Having a coupe is almost DOUBLE the insurance if you had a sedan. Also, having a V6 (which the G35 and Z350 have) instead of an I4 will also DOUBLE your insurance.

It's best to go for a safe and reliable 4-cylinder sedan, but for coupes, I think the tC will be cheaper to maintain and insure in the long run compared to the G35/Z. If you want more space and less insurance premiums, the new xB shares the same platform/engine of the tC...
(and the average xB buyer is actually older than you think, so insurance will be much lower for the xB.)

I would reconsider your car search and be a bit more practical. As much as we all would love to drive a Porsche, it's practical to drive a Camry first...
Old 10-17-07, 07:56 AM
Jakex1
Pole Position

i just put those cars up there as a comparison. I have been looking at the tc altima coupe and rsx. But looking at the future if i dont do too many mods, it would be better to get a newer car thats not lexus. (since lexus is pretty pricey)
Old 10-17-07, 08:09 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Originally Posted by Jakex1
i just put those cars up there as a comparison. I have been looking at the tc altima coupe and rsx. But looking at the future if i dont do too many mods, it would be better to get a newer car thats not lexus. (since lexus is pretty pricey)
I actually like RSX/Integra. Not too pricey if you can find one with very low miles, and it has a little more sport than a tC, with the perks of Japanese reliability.

The Altima coupe is fairly new, and quite expensive (it falls in the same category as the G6 coupe, Solara, and Accord coupe; well-equipped at about $25k+ new). It's a spacious car also, far surpassing the size of a tC and RSX. It's definately more of a cruiser.

Of course, all of the cars mentioned above are all FWD. Not quite as sporty as a RWD, but since you don't have much driving experience, I'm pretty sure that you'll be smart and stay away from "enthusiastic driving" until you've racked up thousands of miles of experience. You ride safe...
Old 10-17-07, 10:52 AM
Jakex1
Pole Position

haha yea i do, my original problem was i wanna stay with lexus brands but its too pricey, and i might as well get a newer model from a diff company. Maybe ill get a tc and change the emblem to a SC xD
Old 10-17-07, 11:01 AM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you could easily pick up a clean IS300 with well under 100K miles for $20K...
Old 10-17-07, 11:54 AM
Jakex1
Pole Position

rsx for 20k gets me a '06 type s with 30k or under.... i just dont wanna spend my parents money for my car. My current Es is a "loaner" untill my dad gets his license suspension lifted.
Old 10-17-07, 04:25 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

maybe you should look into B-segment now, they are getting popular here, and they will save you a lot of money, ins, pmt, gas, repair, plus still look cool rolling on the street.
Honda FIT
Scion Xb, Tc, xD,
Nissan Versa etc.
Old 10-17-07, 04:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksc400
maybe you should look into B-segment now, they are getting popular here, and they will save you a lot of money, ins, pmt, gas, repair, plus still look cool rolling on the street.
Honda FIT
Scion Xb, Tc, xD,
Nissan Versa etc.
The others, yes, but IMO Honda dealers profiteer too much on the Fit. They charge more than it is really worth, considering the competition out there.
Old 10-17-07, 04:43 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The others, yes, but IMO Honda dealers profiteer too much on the Fit. They charge more than it is really worth, considering the competition out there.
And xD pretty much equals the Fit.

Comparison Test: 2007 Honda Fit Sport vs. 2008 Scion xD Link

"When all is said and done, neither of these four-door economy hatchbacks is a bad way to go. The 2007 Honda Fit Sport seems the more practical of the two, with fractionally better fuel economy and huge cargo space. Its agility is a plus, too.

But the 2008 Scion xD is the one that comes out on top for us. With just enough power to deal comfortably with traffic, a more refined ride, a longer list of standard convenience and safety features than the Fit and the availability of stability control, the Scion xD is the best package for us."
Old 10-17-07, 05:14 PM
Jakex1
Pole Position

ahhhh dont liek those wagon/hatchback looking things. Im probably gonna end up with a s2k or a scion tc. Cause modded cars arent really everyday cars right?

maybe even a tib... lol but koreans cant make cars :[ poor us
Old 10-17-07, 05:25 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

get a SC! stay in the lexus family.
Old 10-17-07, 06:11 PM
Jakex1
Pole Position

i wish i could, but with my price range i might as well get a newer model lines.