Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota Avalon Gets New Six-Speed Transmission And Luxury Upgrades For 2008

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-07, 01:52 PM
xioix
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a nice looking clock would be like a watch, digital watches isn't classy
Old 10-17-07, 02:10 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Nextourer
Well when you're targeting a particular age group, a screen that's farther away can be beneficial (i.e. easier to read).

Also, they had alignment issues between the wood panels on the door and the dashboard. I can't upload the hires version cause it's too large for this site (856kb) so here's the lowres. It's somewhat fixed but the right side seems a bit off. It could be perception and because we're looking at it at a slight angle but the wood trim doesn't align well.
I think you are correct on the age thing. JD Power says that 74% of Avalon buyers are age 56+. I'm sure they'd like to lower that, but for now that's their market and they'll keep things like that in mind for the car...
Old 10-17-07, 02:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I think you are correct on the age thing. JD Power says that 74% of Avalon buyers are age 56+. I'm sure they'd like to lower that, but for now that's their market and they'll keep things like that in mind for the car...
Well, the average age doesn't HAVE to be 56+. That is not Toyota's fault....that just means that younger buyers are turning down a nice car, just because they may not think it is "cool" or because Mom and Dad (or Grandpa and Grandma) have one.......once again, we get back to the old image problem. If people bought for practical and sensible reasons rather then image, the market demographics would probably be quite different from what they are now.

That, of course, does not only apply to the Avalon, but to its primary competitors, too.....the Hyundai Azera (which I think is a better buy than the Avalon), Buick Lucerne, Chevy Impala (the non-SS model), Kia Amanti, and Ford Five Hundred (Taurus)/ Mercury Montego (Sable).

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-17-07 at 02:29 PM.
Old 10-17-07, 05:20 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RX_330
The new lower front fascia looks like it's from Nissan. Needs like chrome surrounds for the fogs to brighten it up a little. I also hate the steering wheels on the new Toyotas.

But, overall, the Avalon is still very nice.
It does have a chrome surround. You gotta get the XLS or Limited model.
Old 10-17-07, 05:22 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I'm just taking a guess, that's all. I mean the screen is more or less in the same position as the previous generation Avalon. I'm sure Avalon buyers would scream if the screen was where the radio is because they now can't see the screen because of the glare from certain angles. At its current location, the hood's deep enough to ward off any glare from the sun.

I prefer touchscreen but if this Avalon's nav controls (Which I think are kinda cool to be tucked away when not in use) is intuitive enough, then it shouldn't matter.
Old 10-17-07, 05:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

The problem with touchscreens and electronic sensor-buttons is that they are tricky to use except on glass-smooth roads. If the car is bouncing a little on road imperfections (and that is more and more a problem nowadays with ever-firmer suspensions and tires), you often end up skipping your finger and touching the wrong sensor, or hitting one at the wrong moment. That is why I like old-fashioned, easy-to-use, round *****.

Fortunately, the Avalon's ride, despite some stiffening lately, is still on the soft side by today's standards.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-17-07 at 05:37 PM.
Old 10-17-07, 06:26 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

looks pretty nice... good facelift..
Old 10-17-07, 07:12 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I actually never got peoples infatuation with clocks in cars. I have a phone, a watch and rarely look at the clock in the car.

If I look at the clock in the car, its like when I enter and maybe 3 other times.

Thats just me though.
It's just you

I always check the clock. I can easily see it. I rather not look down at my phone while driving Kinda wish they would update the looks of it just slightly. Hell, give me an analog clock!
Old 10-17-07, 07:23 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The problem with touchscreens and electronic sensor-buttons is that they are tricky to use except on glass-smooth roads. If the car is bouncing a little on road imperfections (and that is more and more a problem nowadays with ever-firmer suspensions and tires), you often end up skipping your finger and touching the wrong sensor, or hitting one at the wrong moment. That is why I like old-fashioned, easy-to-use, round *****.

Fortunately, the Avalon's ride, despite some stiffening lately, is still on the soft side by today's standards.
Good point, never gave a thought about it. I usually rest my hand on the base of the screen for some support.

No idea how you'd do it on the Lexus models since the screen is almost always flush with the console with little or no "lip" at the base of the screen.
Old 10-22-07, 02:31 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I got to check this car out today. Nice car over all. I wouldn't mind buying it myself. Sales guy quoted me $35K and change out the door for the Limited with no Nav (Toyota and Lexus still has no nav for Hawaii). A few problems though. I don't like how Toyoya, and many manufacturers for that matter option out their cars. I personally don't get why they limit interior colors to certain model trims. It is the same car, they should open all the interior trims and colors to all their trim levels. For example. I want a white car with a black leather interior with wood. I want the firmer sportier suspension. I want the HID lights, the rain sensing wipers (For my wife because she likes that) and the push start button. Problem is, the Touring Model has the sports suspension, HIDs, and black leather (Really called Dark Charchol), but no push start button, rain sensing wipers, mirror turn signals and puddle lights. No bid deal right? Just get the Limited Model than. No can do because it doesn't come with the sports suspension, and worst of all it doesn't come with the black (Dark Charchol) interior with the white exterior.

I ran into the same thing for the 08 Infiniti G35. The white color car is no longer available with their black colored interior. There are so many cars that I wouldn't mind buying but decide not to buy simply because I can't get the exterior color with interior color of my choice. I can understand it if that particular color isn't offered at all, but when it is offered with other exterior colors or trim levels that just upsets me. It really does cost them a few sales because I'm one of them. If I can't buy what I really want, no sense in buying it at all. Over all the 08 changes to the Avalon are really nice and I like this car much better than the Lexus ES350. Probably wont get it simply because you can't get the black interior on the Limited model. My wife still likes the Lexus RX, so hopefully the 09 Model can be had exactly how I want it.
Old 10-22-07, 02:39 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

I actually never got peoples infatuation with clocks in cars. I have a phone, a watch and rarely look at the clock in the car.

If I look at the clock in the car, its like when I enter and maybe 3 other times.

D
I like having a clock in the car. I have not worn a watch for well over 5 years. I use the clock in the car and my cell.
Old 10-22-07, 02:48 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Same here with the clock. I don't wear a watch and grabbing the cell phone from my pocket is a PITA sometimes. Especially since it is a PDA phone so it really isn't on. I loved the clock in the dash cluster on my SC400 and BMW 330i. It is right there in your line of sight. I still haven't gotten used to finding the clock on my LS400. My eyes never go directly to it. I aways have to look for it for a second or two.
Old 10-22-07, 03:37 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

for the price, this car is great, we honestly almost bought one but we got such a good deal on the rx, we took that instead, but really, if u took of the toyota badge, i can assure you some ppl would take this over a mercedes
Old 10-22-07, 03:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

That so-called infatuation with clocks in modern cars seems to have started with two things........First, the fact that, unlike those of decades ago, the clocks in modern cars actually WORK, and, Second, Infiniti started making auto clocks fashionable again when it introduced the circular/oval crystal analog dash clocks with its first cars in 1990-91. They became a big hit and an Infiniti tradition.....and other automakers, to an extent, have copied them.
Old 10-22-07, 07:24 PM
AJL0365
Lexus Test Driver

i love the avalon, especially the ones before the refresh with the toyota body kit with the bbs wheels added to it, it looked so hott, im on 20 years old, have a 02 GS300 right now and i wouldnt mind buying and driving around a avalon, but it has to have that kit on the car for me to drive it, if not, i feel like the car looks like a old people car. i wonder how this one is gonna work with the kit. but overall i do like the changes, and especially the darker wood

Quick Reply: Toyota Avalon Gets New Six-Speed Transmission And Luxury Upgrades For 2008