Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Best Cars for Commuters

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-07, 09:18 AM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Best Cars for Commuters

From Tokyo to Los Angeles, one word strikes fear into the most seasoned office worker, the most savvy CEO: Commuting.

Gridlock. Exhaust fumes. Boiling frustration. Wherever cars proliferate, it's all part of the daily slog endured by commuters.

With the nation's population topping 300 million, more people and more cars are commuting longer distances from far-flung suburbs and exurbs. Americans spent 4.2 billion hours stuck in traffic in 2005, according to the latest study by the Texas Transportation Institute, wasting 2.9 billion gallons of gas. U.S. census data show the nation's average daily commute time approaching 25 minutes, with more drivers facing "extreme" commutes of 90 minutes or more.

The latest discouraging phenomenon is "commuter creep," with workers leaving before dawn to beat traffic. In 2000, one in nine drivers was behind the wheel by 6 a.m. Last year it was one in eight, enough to put 2.7 million more commuters on the early road, for a bleary-eyed total of 15 million.

But while no car yet can save you from a five-mile back-up, the right car can help ease the pain of commuting.

The best commuter cars are comfortable, smooth-riding and spacious inside relative to their exterior footprint. They're maneuverable, safe and fuel-efficient. Based on those criteria, we've tested leading models in a variety of classes to select the best of the breed.

Take Your Pick
Yet one size does not fit all. Budget compacts are obvious contenders. Many families, however--especially those who rely on a single car--demand something bigger and better-equipped, perhaps even luxurious.

With real-world needs in mind, we looked for commuters that addressed them: First, ultra-affordable rides that deliver maximum utility for the buck. Fortunately, this field is nothing like the cramped, unreliable econo-boxes of old. Today, $15,000 and change will buy a Honda Fit, a roomy, high-mileage subcompact that drives and feels like a much more expensive car.

Next, a fun-but-frugal group ups the style, features and performance without sacrificing economy. The Nissan Altima sedan, which combines serious curb appeal and sporty handling with a generous interior and an EPA-rated 31 highway mpg, fits that description perfectly.

An All-Economy team is led by hybrids, including the Toyota Prius, that deliver their best mileage gains in the city and in heavy traffic that commuters know all too well.

On the luxury front, some models are ideal for keeping the honking, blaring world at bay while still delivering power, amenities and class-leading mileage. When the traffic ahead finally clears, the BMW 335i convertible is a rolling invitation to punch the gas, let down your hair and leave the workday world behind.

Finally, with more than 11% of commuters sharing the ride to work, we've chosen a pair of modern, seven- or eight-passenger crossover SUVs for the socially responsible, carpooling crowd.

Both the Mercedes GL-Class and General Motors latest crossovers are the rare vehicles in their sales categories whose third-row seats can accommodate six-foot-plus adults. During extensive testing, both models forged convincing arguments as class leaders for packaging, refinement and overall performance.

Remember, if you're carting five or more adults in an SUV or minivan, you'd have to convoy in two conventional cars to chauffeur the same number of passengers. Therefore, the carpooling GMC Acadia, at 24 highway mpg, will use less fuel than a pair of Toyota Prius hybrids that deliver 45 mpg on the highway under the revised, more realistic EPA ratings for all 2008 models.

Whether small, medium or large, these cars are equivalent to a quart-sized espresso: An eye-opening way to start the working day.
Copyrighted, Forbes.com. All rights reserved.
Source: http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home...-for-Commuters
Old 10-18-07, 09:29 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default On the Lexus front:

Luxury Cruisers: Lexus LS 460L
Base price: $71,500
Engine: 4.6-liter V-8, 380 horsepower
EPA fuel economy: 16/24 mpg city/highway

With a soothing ride and a library-quiet cabin, the Lexus LS swaddles occupants in power, luxury and technology. That includes a radar-beaming collision-avoidance system that monitors the driver's eyes and takes action--including readying steering and brakes for panic response--when it senses an impending crash and a daydreaming pilot. And for the executive commuter who'd rather relax in back, its optional, airliner-style reclining seat features a powered ottoman, a wooden table and adjustable massages.
Old 10-18-07, 11:31 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Agreed....it's hard to beat the plush, quiet, and refined LS460 on the way home for undoing the stress of the work day, but, for bad-weather areas (I notice you are from Michigan, one of the worst), RWD, in general, just doesn't cut it. That's also a lot of money to spend for a car to run back and forth to the office in. So are the Lexus AWD vehicles like the RX350 and GX470 that WOULD go through the snow.

Notwithstanding the fact, of course, that Michigan's moon-crater roads can wreak havoc on a small car's suspension and ride, for year-around all-weather security, for the money, it's hard to beat the Subaru Impreza and Suzuki SX-4. The Impreza can be had for 17-18K in base versions, and has one of the most well-proven AWD systems on the market. The SX-4 is even lower-priced, starting at 15-16K, and has a clever electronic switch that allows you to disconnect the AWD when it is not needed....or put in LOCK for severe conditions.

For better-weather areas, consider the Hyundai Accent. You will be very surprised at its low price, high build quality, and LONG warranty.
Old 10-21-07, 11:21 PM
415ua5
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when it comes to commuting for me, i would rather have less mpg and a more comfy, luxurious ride. yea, a yaris or civic gets 30 mpg but it feels like your driving a tin can on the freeway, a rattly, bumpy, high revving car is not fun for commuting. i like silence, plush leather, and a quiet v8 that rarely goes above 2500 rpms..
Old 10-21-07, 11:24 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 415ua5
when it comes to commuting for me, i would rather have less mpg and a more comfy, luxurious ride. yea, a yaris or civic gets 30 mpg but it feels like your driving a tin can on the freeway, a rattly, bumpy, high revving car is not fun for commuting. i like silence, plush leather, and a quiet v8 that rarely goes above 2500 rpms..
for sure! if i'm going to be spending more than an hr [even more than 45min] in my car in some of the most frusterating traffic out there ... i think i wanna be in the best possible situation [ie. car] that i possibly could be
Old 10-22-07, 12:51 AM
rsantiago
Pole Position

MMarshall, I'm wondering have you done a review of the Honda Fit/Jazz by any chance ??

It's hard not to discount this fun to drive subcompact for less than 15k and is roomy as well.
Old 10-22-07, 07:13 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

On the Lexus front, I'd nominate any of the L-hybrids. In the stop-and-crawl of the daily commute, a hybrid would come into its own. Either the RX or GS hybrid would do - depending on your application . . . OK, the LS for the true plutocrat . . .

Where else could you get such silence, luxury, and a premium entertainment system on a car that achieves at least a modicum of economy (well, compared to others in its class). Performance cars are OUT - if you are a hard-core commuter, 45 mph looks like the land speed record, and you opt for smoothness over a suspension calibrated for max cornering forces.

You want something that will isolate you from the smoggy tedium around you, the blaring horns and waving fists (finger optional). You want a cocoon that will get you home with the least fuss - allow you to dictate your daily notes, listen to a string quartet, or phone home to let your lovely wife convince you that a drink and dinner for two at a favorite bistro would be a most welcome end to a punishing day. You make the reservation and note the nav offers a detour . . .

Last edited by Lil4X; 10-22-07 at 12:25 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 10-22-07, 11:49 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by rsantiago
MMarshall, I'm wondering have you done a review of the Honda Fit/Jazz by any chance ??
Yes, last year....a Fit Sport. At the time, the car was very hard to get (I had to wait for weeks just to get an unsold one to review). With the dealer price gouging, I thought it was overpriced, though well-designed, well-built, and well-engineered.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...view+honda+fit
Old 10-22-07, 08:31 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 415ua5
Indeed! For commuting in rush hour traffic, I'd gladly take the Camry Hybrid (can't afford a Lexus hybrid) but still, my Prius is ok... just barely. Love the mpg, love the toys, but I'd like the plusher interior a Camry offers.