Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Pagani Zonda F Clubsport: The New King of the ‘Ring!

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-07, 07:12 AM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts
Post Pagani Zonda F Clubsport: The New King of the ‘Ring!

Wednesday 17 October 2007

There’s a new king of the Nürburgring Nordschleife, and its name is Zonda F Clubsport.

The unerringly fast Pagani Zonda has taken the title for fastest lap of the Nürburgring in a production car from Porsche’s Carrera GT, pacing the field with a time of 7:27:82, or two-tenth’s of a second quicker than the Porsche around the 14.2 mile track.

Though hardly classic in appearance, the Zonda F gets the new lap record with a classic combination of light weight and huge power; it’s 641 horsepower 7.3-liter V-12 having to move just over 2700 pounds of carbon fiber and rubber. The Clubsport also has the advantage of massive downforce generation to keep it stuck to the rolling face of the Green Hell.

As certain as the sun will rise tomorrow, is the fact that the Zonda will eventually lose its newly earned title to a faster, lighter, more sophisticated car; but for here and now, the hill belongs to Zonda.

*source
http://news.windingroad.com/countrie...g-of-the-ring/

Kudos to Pagani! If the Clubsport F is pulling times like that, I can only imagine of how the Zonda R will perform
Old 10-19-07, 07:27 AM
LexFather

Amazing car.
I'm all "ringed" out. The Ring was cool 5 years ago. Now everyone is on teh "Ring" bandwagon and its old.

None of these cars will even see the RIng....sad...

Old 10-19-07, 07:53 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
None of these cars will even see the RIng....sad...
have you? I envy you if you have. I sure haven't. I'll rage on about until I drive on it and probably more after I drive on it

man, 7:27:82...I can't even achieve that with Gran Turismo 4
Old 10-19-07, 08:50 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ksxxsk
Hahaha. The ring is a fad? I've never heard that one before.

I bet you hate your favorite band when they get popular and the cool kids at school start listening to your underground treasure.
I think what he means is that the Ring has made itself into a publicity stunt. Some cars that aren't that performance oriented have been tested on the Ring.
Old 10-19-07, 09:28 AM
05EX
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Koma
I think what he means is that the Ring has made itself into a publicity stunt. Some cars that aren't that performance oriented have been tested on the Ring.
The Ring is not just used to test performance, but also suspension settings/derability and chassis design and calibrations. The Ring has many elevation changes and switchbacks and is far from a smooth track. It is very very demanding on a car and is a good place to test vehicle dynamics and not just for track records.
Old 10-19-07, 12:41 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

That's my dream car too, Seize.
Old 10-19-07, 12:58 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 05EX
The Ring is not just used to test performance, but also suspension settings/derability and chassis design and calibrations. The Ring has many elevation changes and switchbacks and is far from a smooth track. It is very very demanding on a car and is a good place to test vehicle dynamics and not just for track records.
Most definitely the 'Ring was closed for F1 for a reason--and some people still die driving their favorite track and pushing their cars to their absolute brink. It's not a polished GT track as we've come to perceive it. It's 13-14 miles of "Green Hell" with over 170 corners, whether it be smooth pavement, broken pavement, off-camber turns, blind turns, narrow bridges, crazy steep bank turns, the list goes on..

a publicity stunt? You could say that...until you realize how difficult it is to tune a car to run on a track like that.
Old 10-19-07, 04:29 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

Another write-up:

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsAr...llCars/228650/

A Pagani Zonda F has set a new lap record for the Nurburgring Nordschleife.

A Zonda F Clubsport covered the 12.8 miles and 73 corners of the Green Hell in 7:27:82.

That beats the previous production car lap record, held by a Porsche Carrera GT, by just two tenths of a second.

As you’d expect, the Zonda F Clubsport is a bit of a beast. Nestling within its carbonfibre chassis and bodywork is a 7.3-litre AMG Mercedes V12 producing 641bhp, and yet it weighs just 1230kg. No wonder Pagani claims a 0-62mph time of 3.6sec and a top speed of almost 215mph.

The Italian firm also says that it can pull 1.4g in a corner and decelerate from 125mph to a standstill in 4.4sec. Useful, that, when you’re at the Nordschleife.

The only piece of information we haven't bean able to glean from Pagani is who was at the wheel. All we do know is that they are a bit handy.

Of course, there is the argument of what exactly constitutes a production car, because back in 2003, Autocar made it rather quicker in a production Radical SR3 turbo.

With ex-BTCC racer Phil Bennett at the wheel, we lapped in 7:19.7, a whole nine seconds quicker than the Pagani. And British firm Radical has since managed to send one of its cars round in under seven minutes.

Of course, there is a new Zonda R on the way, which has an extra 50bhp over the F Clubsport, so it's just possible that Pagani might beat its own record.
Old 10-19-07, 05:58 PM
05EX
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it's safe to say that track is not for the weak at heart, or car. In Grand tuorismo you can throw caution to the wind cause you can always restart.
Old 10-19-07, 09:18 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by 05EX
Which is ruining some cars. Now for this Zonda, I fully understand. Why luxury sedans and average cars need it, I have no idea.

Its (the Ring) being *****D out.

Wow, didn't know I couldn't say *****d...

Old 11-04-07, 05:05 PM
cpone
There can only be One

Ok I remember seeing this thing before.
And i just saw it again on Beyond Tomorrow.

This car is just SICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-04-07, 10:13 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,568 Posts

I guess I'm not that impressed. Hey, it's a race car that's somehow street legal. It SHOULD go very fast, right? Must cost a BUNDLE...??

I guess the 0-62 isn't faster because of traction limits??
Old 11-05-07, 07:34 AM
cpone
There can only be One

1 MILLION dollars EACH!

Its built from Carbon Fiber, Titanium and some other alloy that I can't remember.
With a V-12 in the back.
Totally hand made.

Droooooollll....