Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why are Lexus vehicles so shiny?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-07, 10:41 AM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love the paint. It's so good any body work done afterwards really shows
Old 10-23-07, 11:32 AM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Heh 15yo and with a nice wash, and clay and wax, can look pretty darn good too .

Loving it .
Old 10-23-07, 01:09 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i want that new starfire pearl white paint on my 2GS! either that or that deeeeep pearl brown paint on the SC.

The paint on my 2GS is great, but it's horrible on the bumpers.
Old 10-23-07, 01:50 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
iono if they just upped the ante cause my 2002 has the worst paint job i have ever seen. i bought it new in 2002 and (maybe im just not a detailing kinda guy) but there are so many swirls, white dots imbedded into the paint, and areas that are not shiny at all. its also very easily scratchable. maybe its just really noticable because its black

but, my 2004 Flint mica RX still looks new.
That's just neglected paint, any black car that's got stone chips and has been washed improperly for 5 years will look like that.

Originally Posted by rominl
umm personally i would actually beg to differ a bit. i agree lexus is very good paint, and their cars are quite shiny. but i still think they have quite some orange peel, which by comparison i think is better on bmw/mb. i don't know why that's the case on lexus. except the ls460/600 line where they have dual stage wet sand process to eliminated orange peel on all the metal panels, all the other lexus models i notice orange peel on various parts.

that's one thing i hope they can further improve
There's no reason for you to believe me, but MB/BMW orange peel is much, much worse in general than Lexus/Toyota. BMW in particular has probably the worst OP in the industry outside some GM vehicles. What BMW does well is metallics, and what MB does well is ceramic paint, but neither do OP very well.
Old 10-23-07, 02:07 PM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by picus
That's just neglected paint, any black car that's got stone chips and has been washed improperly for 5 years will look like that.

There's no reason for you to believe me, but MB/BMW orange peel is much, much worse in general than Lexus/Toyota. BMW in particular has probably the worst OP in the industry outside some GM vehicles. What BMW does well is metallics, and what MB does well is ceramic paint, but neither do OP very well.
Picus, you seem to know a lot about the automotive paint industry. Who, in your opinion, does the best of job of painting their vehicles?
Old 10-23-07, 07:16 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

it has never been washed improperly, just not detailed. can anyone explain the white dots that are like in the paint? lol
Old 10-23-07, 07:43 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mavericck
Picus, you seem to know a lot about the automotive paint industry. Who, in your opinion, does the best of job of painting their vehicles?
I guess it depends on what you consider best. Least orange peel on a consistent basis? Probably Ferrari, Bentley, or Lambo; all are wetsanded at the factory. Ferrari's are notorious for other issues though, and are very soft (prone to marring). Hardest paint (as in easiest to maintain) is by far Mercedes Ceramiclear paint, followed by probably some late model Audi's. Best pearls and metallics? Outside the exotics probably BMW and Lexus, although Acura has some nice ones too. Best on a consistent basis, on all counts, and not an exotic? Probably Audi.

Originally Posted by RXSF
it has never been washed improperly, just not detailed. can anyone explain the white dots that are like in the paint? lol
Them where did the swirls come from? As for the white dots, it could be a number of things (oxidation, dye back, tree sap, or plain stone chips). If you post a picture I am sure I can tell you exactly what they are.
Old 10-23-07, 08:34 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Jewcano
Heh 15yo and with a nice wash, and clay and wax, can look pretty darn good too .
Loving it .
i know what u mean Jewcano.
Old 10-23-07, 09:22 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LiCelsior
i know what u mean Jewcano.
Mhmmm, that is most certainly hot .
Old 10-23-07, 09:35 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Very nice pics, guys!!! Definitely brings out a beautiful finish!
Old 10-23-07, 10:40 PM
GS3Tek

Received 167 Likes on 127 Posts

Indeed nice pictures guys

One thing though. Lexus white (pearl or crystal) is soooo much better than toyota white.
Not to go way off topic, but Toyota's white is horrible. Seems like there's no clear coat at all. I can walk through a parking lot, pick out the toyota white, and can see that it's not that shiny/great at all. I've actually avoided any white car from toyota.

I love lexus black though
Old 10-23-07, 11:38 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Them where did the swirls come from? As for the white dots, it could be a number of things (oxidation, dye back, tree sap, or plain stone chips). If you post a picture I am sure I can tell you exactly what they are.
the sucker that the wife and I are, we got the lexus exterior protection...which i think protects from natural things like tree sap right? lol. i dont even know what it covers...
Old 10-24-07, 01:19 AM
CyberSC4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

7 years old and going strong. Detailing spray and a clay bar does wonders!
Attached Thumbnails Why are Lexus vehicles so shiny?-img_0200.jpg  
Old 10-24-07, 05:20 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

nice cyber!! that thing is really reflecting, btw is ur exhaust a little bit off?
Old 10-24-07, 08:27 AM
Seadee456
Driver

That article is about the factory in Japan. Do they use this same paint process at the Canada plant?

Quick Reply: Why are Lexus vehicles so shiny?