Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why are Lexus vehicles so shiny?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-07, 09:29 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Seadee456
That article is about the factory in Japan. Do they use this same paint process at the Canada plant?
YEs, the Canadian plants are nearly duplicates.

Old 10-24-07, 02:29 PM
AJL0365
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im sorry but i have to say this, I wonder if Nissan/Infiniti is taking notice at this because i used to work for Infiniti, and the paint on those (mind that im talking about the new cars) were horrible, i mean like there was like hardly no paint on the cars, especially on the M-series, bugs hit the front of car and they wont come off, and if they did come off, it leaves a residue on the front bumber, scratches so easily, I love the M35/45 but the paint was horrible, not just on them but on the previous G35 Sedan/coupes, the FX, and wspecially on the QX where as the clearcoat on the roof on some of the
QX56's actually came off. i think it better on the new 07+ G35/37 but i just wouldnt buy any nissan or infiniti product in a dark color, looks horrible after a while, even a white M looks bad after a few washes

But yeah i have a 02 Black GS 300 and its so shiny after its been cleaned and the 4Runner, granted that its a 07 looks hott when cleaned. even my 02 camry and 01 RX, the paint on both of those were awesome
Old 10-24-07, 03:01 PM
ted920
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This is also OEM paint, my GS.

Good job Lexus.

TedWhy are Lexus vehicles so shiny?-2.jpg
Old 10-24-07, 07:55 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
YEs, the Canadian plants are nearly duplicates.
They're identical. I'd give a $50 to anyone that could find the difference. I will give it to Lexus, when they want uniformity, they get it.

Originally Posted by AJL0365
Im sorry but i have to say this, I wonder if Nissan/Infiniti is taking notice at this because i used to work for Infiniti, and the paint on those (mind that im talking about the new cars) were horrible, i mean like there was like hardly no paint on the cars, especially on the M-series, bugs hit the front of car and they wont come off, and if they did come off, it leaves a residue on the front bumber, scratches so easily, I love the M35/45 but the paint was horrible, not just on them but on the previous G35 Sedan/coupes, the FX, and wspecially on the QX where as the clearcoat on the roof on some of the
QX56's actually came off. i think it better on the new 07+ G35/37 but i just wouldnt buy any nissan or infiniti product in a dark color, looks horrible after a while, even a white M looks bad after a few washes

But yeah i have a 02 Black GS 300 and its so shiny after its been cleaned and the 4Runner, granted that its a 07 looks hott when cleaned. even my 02 camry and 01 RX, the paint on both of those were awesome
They know and they don't care. Nissan/Infiniti paint is among the worst in the industry on almost all accounts. They claim it is due to environmental restrictions, but that is a copout; Toyota/Lexus and Honda/Acura both manage to have superior paint, as do every German and almost every US manufacturer. Black Infiniti paint in particular is notorious amongst detailers.
Old 10-24-07, 07:59 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Indeed nice pictures guys

One thing though. Lexus white (pearl or crystal) is soooo much better than toyota white.
Not to go way off topic, but Toyota's white is horrible. Seems like there's no clear coat at all. I can walk through a parking lot, pick out the toyota white, and can see that it's not that shiny/great at all. I've actually avoided any white car from toyota.

I love lexus black though
Chris I gotta agree with you. Toyota white isn't that great. I dont know if the newer Toyotas have improved, but my dad's white camry definitely looks like it has no clear coat. When I say that, I dont mean it doesn't have clear coat, it just looks like it doesn't have it. No gloss and rough surface.
Old 10-25-07, 06:42 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I've never had a problem with Nissan paint. I go into their plant in the UK regularly and the quality of the finish coming out of their is easily the equal of my Lexus. They do a lot of development work on their paint finish and the latest they are working on is self healing paint.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...icle745093.ece
Old 10-25-07, 06:48 AM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GSteg
Chris I gotta agree with you. Toyota white isn't that great. I dont know if the newer Toyotas have improved, but my dad's white camry definitely looks like it has no clear coat. When I say that, I dont mean it doesn't have clear coat, it just looks like it doesn't have it. No gloss and rough surface.
+1 White on Toyota sucks. My moms 02 Camry looks exactly the same.
Old 10-25-07, 06:59 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

toyo uses a flat white I believe, not a pearl white. Huge difference when you move up to the pearl
Old 10-25-07, 07:31 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
toyo uses a flat white I believe, not a pearl white. Huge difference when you move up to the pearl
True.

Flat white makes the car look like an egg.

Pearl white makes the car look like.. well, a pearl! The SC430 is the best example of this...
Old 10-25-07, 08:39 PM
Lexkost
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

A lot of people tell me my car is too shiny....
Attached Thumbnails Why are Lexus vehicles so shiny?-new_pics_012.jpg  
Old 10-26-07, 06:54 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

hmm yes they are shinny, but i have always seem to find lexus paint not as durable as i would like it to be, it seems to chips easily and compared to mb paint amd bmw paint, seems very fragile, maybe its just me
Old 10-26-07, 08:12 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by jmd93
hmm yes they are shinny, but i have always seem to find lexus paint not as durable as i would like it to be, it seems to chips easily and compared to mb paint amd bmw paint, seems very fragile, maybe its just me
it's all due to water base, that's the cause, and the same case to others

go on bmw and mb board and see, owners all complain.

audi has some of the hardest paint
Old 10-26-07, 08:36 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

BMW is waterborne paint too. MB is either waterborne or ceramic. All waterborne paint chips easily, it's a bummer but it happens. In general Lexus paint is "harder" than average.
Old 10-26-07, 09:36 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

hmm that works
Old 10-27-07, 12:34 AM
Coconut
Racer

Received 131 Likes on 58 Posts

I vaguely remember reading that the black paint on the SC430 is single stage (no clearcoat). Somebody said black looks best in single stage paint. Is this true?

Lexus paint is very shiny but I just wish it was as durable as MB. From what I've seen on a 2001 S500, the paint is bulletproof! 80k miles and there are no rock chips on the front bumper.

I had my black IS250 for 2 weeks now and I have 3 rock chips...

Quick Reply: Why are Lexus vehicles so shiny?