Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

C&D, Edmunds, MT Test: Lexus IS-F (RS4 vs. IS-F Comparo)

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-07, 04:39 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

"With the integrated exhaust designed into the bumper you can't have the real exhaust tips in the bumper. Imagine if you bottom out or hit something on the road and caused the muffler/exhaust pipe to bend. That will caused the whole rear bumper to move too and don't forget about the heat from the exhaust. Most cars have the exhaust under the bumper with about 2" of clearance from the bumper for the same reason."

Link to the post.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...=314351&page=2

The above is the copy of my post in the IS-F forum about the exhaust that integrated into the bumper.

Another reason is the good one for a lot of you. How much are you willing to pay for the replacement of the exhaust that really integrated into the bumper? Imagine if you have a car like a Ferrari and the exhaust is part of the bumper and imagine if you bent/damage the exhaust pipe. Well, the part will be very EXPENSIVE SINCE THE EXHAUST IS PART OF THE BUMPER and the labor to install the exhaust which including removing the rear bumper will be VERY EXPENSIVE.

Oh, don't forget that your new beautiful/bad a#$ looking exhaust integrated in the rear bumper may come in primer, so you may have to the exhaust with the rear bumper to the bodyshop to get it paint...

Now, the best part is your insurance...

A simple run over the speed bump and bent your exhaust system+the bumper can cost you around $5K...time to cry...
Old 10-30-07, 04:43 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by kt22cliff
What are they trying with those fake tips? Save weight?
Save the consumers some money.
Old 10-30-07, 05:08 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Is this a bargain basement machine to go shopping at Walmart with or is this enthusiast machine? Cars like the Ferrari F430, BMW X5, Lambo Gallardo and other notables have exhausts pipes sticking out of the bumpers. No excuses for Lexus here with the phony tips..Why slap them on the production car?? They should come correct instead of half step.

Ferrari

BMW X5

Lambo
Old 10-30-07, 05:30 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Is this a bargain basement machine to go shopping at Walmart with or is this enthusiast machine? Cars like the Ferrari F430, BMW X5, Lambo Gallardo and other notables have exhausts pipes sticking out of the bumpers. No excuses for Lexus here with the phony tips..Why slap them on the production car?? They should come correct instead of half step.

Ferrari

BMW X5

Lambo
I'm sure Lexus can stick 4 piece of pipes into the bumper and called it a day. It's not hard to cut a hole into the bumper just enough room for the exhaust, but to make it look good is another thing. The question is how much are you willing to pay?
Look at the X5, it's look like 4 plumbing pipes/ tips that you can get it from Home Depot.

Another two cars you are comparing is well over $200k, so they are not the same class with the IS-F.

Last edited by VVT-i; 10-30-07 at 05:44 PM.
Old 10-30-07, 06:08 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

The picture of the exhaust of the new M3/E92 in the same price range, not the Ferrari or the Lambo.

O.K, if Lexus go with the same designed as the M3, somebody will say, I'm not gonna pay that much money for that car, hey, look at the exhaust.I can't justified to pay $60K for the car that have the exhaust look like the one on the Civic...lol... Anyway, it's all good.
Sorry about off topic,but it's still about the IS-F.
Old 10-30-07, 07:14 PM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VVT-i
I'm sure Lexus can stick 4 piece of pipes into the bumper and called it a day. It's not hard to cut a hole into the bumper just enough room for the exhaust, but to make it look good is another thing. The question is how much are you willing to pay?
Look at the X5, it's look like 4 plumbing pipes/ tips that you can get it from Home Depot.

Another two cars you are comparing is well over $200k, so they are not the same class with the IS-F.
What's funny is that looks like Dinan tips and those are supposed to be pricey and still look pretty shoddy.
Old 10-30-07, 07:17 PM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I was gonna buy an IS-F I'd cut away the plastic that holds those "tips" in place and place some nice tips attached to the exhaust.
Old 10-30-07, 08:12 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

If I had an IS-F, I would convert to a single tip. I was never, and will never be a fan of stacked tips (at least not the way lexus did it)
Old 10-30-07, 08:18 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by kt22cliff
Man this is an one sad picture....

I've gone back and checked your posts. Knock off the exhaust bashing, its clear you do not like it.

Old 10-30-07, 08:44 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VVT-i
Save the consumers some money.
Or just the opposite... Having a decent looking stock exhaust would have saved me a lot more money than having to change the hideous desigen they chose to go with.

EDIT: Just read sick's post above, so that will be my last exhaust bashing.
Old 10-30-07, 08:51 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Ramon
Or just the opposite... Having a decent looking stock exhaust would have saved me a lot more money than having to change the hideous desigen they chose to go with.

EDIT: Just read sick's post above, so that will be my last exhaust bashing.
Well its funny b/c people pick and choose what they want to make fun of and hate.
So why are people not hating the M3 fender vent, which BMW states is not functional and there for looks only. They don't want the engine grime escaping and dirtying the car.

So if we are going to bish and moan about the IS-F exhaust, lets do it about EVERYTHING.

Unless people didn't know that fact.

Old 10-30-07, 09:13 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Did Lexus make such an excuse remover that we have to argue/nitpick about something so ridiculous as an exhaust tip??? LOL. Go back and read the last few pages and look at how silly yall look.
Old 10-30-07, 10:02 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Well its funny b/c people pick and choose what they want to make fun of and hate.
So why are people not hating the M3 fender vent, which BMW states is not functional and there for looks only. They don't want the engine grime escaping and dirtying the car.

So if we are going to bish and moan about the IS-F exhaust, lets do it about EVERYTHING.

Unless people didn't know that fact.
Really? On the 08? Edmunds says they are functional. Where is the BMW info?
Old 10-30-07, 10:14 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by doug_999
It was CAR or EVO....let me go and look....

Old 10-30-07, 10:35 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by doug_999
Edmunds...........

bwwwwwwwwwhahahahahahaaaaaaaaaa

Quick Reply: C&D, Edmunds, MT Test: Lexus IS-F (RS4 vs. IS-F Comparo)