Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

C&D, Edmunds, MT Test: Lexus IS-F (RS4 vs. IS-F Comparo)

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-07, 04:38 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

ehm... seems like an win.

Back in L.A., senior editor Kiino grabbed the keys and came back from a sprint through his favorite canyons all but frothing at the mouth: "This may be the best Japanese car I've ever driven! Under normal driving, the 5.0 feels like a typical Lexus V-8--super smooth and quiet--yet stomp on it and all of a sudden it's like there's a honkin' Hemi on-board--one that got its Ph.D. at the University of NVH. Shift speed is remarkable--feels like a DSG. And you can flog the suspension and it never gets upset. This car is a riot."
Old 10-24-07, 05:35 AM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just hope in Canada we do not have to spend over $90k for the car.
Old 10-24-07, 06:08 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a feeling those quad tips will be connected by production. On the mule there were quad pipes with no oval tips. You gotta let that engine grunt a little.
Old 10-24-07, 06:12 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by GFerg

Vehicle Tested:
2008 Lexus IS-F 4dr Sedan
MSRP of Test Vehicle: $62,540

What Works:
Silken fury of the 5.0-liter V8; rule-bending automanual transmission; Michelin PS2 tires make any car better.

What Needs Work:
Short-travel suspension rides like aftermarket job; zippy exterior designed by a little kid; electric power steering still doesn't communicate feeling.

Bottom Line:
As the first in a series of enthusiast-driven F cars, the IS-F shows Lexus can perform, though there's still room to improve.

SO LET ME GET THIS RIGHT?!!?!?!
They say the Lexus is great for the track but not for the street. Its a PERFORMANCE sedan.

Overall though, very happy with this review. Indeed, its the first and they will improve in the future how M/AMG has evolved.

Old 10-24-07, 06:56 AM
LexFather

Just finished reading, honestly, Lexus has to be VERY VERY VERY pleased with these reviews.

Seems they got it right!!! Its not perfect but a fantastic first effort.

Seems the engine is a gem.

Sign me up

Old 10-24-07, 07:25 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

So far I have enjoyed all of the articles except the one from Automobile. They start the article by saying how much they love the car, how fun it is to drive on a track, and how involving and spirited it is...

...then turn around and say that because it doesn't have the history of an M car or Audi RS it is "one sided"? Really this is such a moot point that I am rather surprised to hear it coming from Automobile. Because there haven't 3-4 IS-F's in the past, and because the engine isn't built alongside Toyota's F1 vehicles, it's worthless? Because I am pretty sure you opened the article saying how much of a track monster it was and how it put a huge grin on your face and you didn't want to get out, and THAT is the point of these vehicles.
Old 10-24-07, 07:37 AM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

how can everyone be so pleased with the reviews or at least the numbers. 0-60 is 4.2 only from C&D and all others got 4.6-4.8 which is barely faster than a e46 M3 or a 335i and a little faster than the IS350. 1/4 in over 13 sec?!? Some IS 350 owners got 13.3-13.4 with their cars, so I'm not impressed with the speed, unless C&D numbers are more accurate.
Old 10-24-07, 07:47 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by NINEZeRO
how can everyone be so pleased with the reviews or at least the numbers. 0-60 is 4.2 only from C&D and all others got 4.6-4.8 which is barely faster than a e46 M3 or a 335i and a little faster than the IS350. 1/4 in over 13 sec?!? Some IS 350 owners got 13.3-13.4 with their cars, so I'm not impressed with the speed, unless C&D numbers are more accurate.
That was weird when I read that in the articles.

I do expect something more competitive. I mean, this car is not just another IS option, but rather the first gauntlet that Lexus is throwing down at other automakers.

The car by itself is great. I would prefer something greater to match/exceed its competition...
Old 10-24-07, 07:47 AM
Koma

How many do they plan to produce?
Old 10-24-07, 08:05 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Also notable is that all of these press cars had like 30 miles on them if you looked at the pictures.

I would imagine that past break-in, around 10,000 miles or so, the car will be a tad quicker.

That said, I do not think that 0-60 in 4.6 or 4.7 is bad for this car at all. 1/4 mile has already shown in these tests to be very high 12s or very low 13s. Again, let's not lose sight of the fact that this car weighs almost 3800lbs...
Old 10-24-07, 08:10 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

M3 weights a little under 3700 lbs despite using plastic panels and a CF reinforced roof, it isnt light either
Old 10-24-07, 08:14 AM
Seadee456
Driver

Originally Posted by Koma
How many do they plan to produce?
This is Toyota. They will make as many as people will buy.
Old 10-24-07, 08:15 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting - sounds like a cool car, but I think I'd have a hard time shelling out that much money... I just wouldn't feel like I was getting a good value for my money, and if I really did want to shell out 62k for a compact performance luxury performance vehicle, I think I'd go with the M3 unless I planned on keeping the vehicle past the warranty period.

Really, I think that's what would determine my plan of action between the M3 and IS-F... whether I wanted to keep it past the warranty/extended warranty.
Old 10-24-07, 08:28 AM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JessePS
I just hope in Canada we do not have to spend over $90k for the car.
and you know it's gonna happen cause it's already $60k for a loaded IS350.

Ours will probably go for around $70k base. Add $5k for nav/ML/backup camera.
Old 10-24-07, 08:28 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Can't wait for the Top Gear comparo tests with this car against the German brutes and the upcoming Caddy CTS-V. Not a bad first effort by Lexus in this arena. That 60k price though may have some shopping elsewhere for high performance sport saloons. I would not pay that money for that kind of performance when there are cars less expensive right now that can match or exceed those numbers.... Bring out the GS-F with the V10 please

Quick Reply: C&D, Edmunds, MT Test: Lexus IS-F (RS4 vs. IS-F Comparo)