Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

C&D, Edmunds, MT Test: Lexus IS-F (RS4 vs. IS-F Comparo)

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-07, 08:31 AM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NINEZeRO
how can everyone be so pleased with the reviews or at least the numbers. 0-60 is 4.2 only from C&D and all others got 4.6-4.8 which is barely faster than a e46 M3 or a 335i and a little faster than the IS350. 1/4 in over 13 sec?!? Some IS 350 owners got 13.3-13.4 with their cars, so I'm not impressed with the speed, unless C&D numbers are more accurate.
+1

The C/D article while optomistic, is also suspicious at the same time. I would like to see a comparison review sometime in the near future where all the cars in this class are tested in the same conditions, same track and same driver. IMO, if these cars don't hit 12's @ 110+mph, they've missed the mark.
Old 10-24-07, 08:31 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Threxx
Really, I think that's what would determine my plan of action between the M3 and IS-F... whether I wanted to keep it past the warranty/extended warranty.
or how much a GTR costs in relation to the M3, which I think its going to be close
Old 10-24-07, 09:30 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Seadee456
This is Toyota. They will make as many as people will buy.
No its not. Its Lexus. And they said its limited production.

Old 10-24-07, 09:32 AM
LexFather

Guys, its not 62k. If you read the Edmunds article, when they said base was 59k and 62k with NAV, Lexus said that was "grossly inaccurate"

Overall, I was expecting the worse with reviews. These are pretty glowing.

Old 10-24-07, 09:42 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I NEED to go test drive one...if Indiana ever does get one.
Old 10-24-07, 10:28 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Guys, its not 62k. If you read the Edmunds article, when they said base was 59k and 62k with NAV, Lexus said that was "grossly inaccurate"

Overall, I was expecting the worse with reviews. These are pretty glowing.
Actually...

The price of the 2008 Lexus IS-F might make it persuasive. Though the official numbers won't be announced for a bit, Lexus says our estimate of $59,900 isn't "embarrassingly inaccurate," so we used the current IS 350's optional $2,550 navigation system price to calculate this IS-F's $62,540 as-tested price.
Old 10-24-07, 11:08 AM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Can't wait for the Top Gear comparo tests with this car against the German brutes and the upcoming Caddy CTS-V. Not a bad first effort by Lexus in this arena. That 60k price though may have some shopping elsewhere for high performance sport saloons. I would not pay that money for that kind of performance when there are cars less expensive right now that can match or exceed those numbers.... Bring out the GS-F with the V10 please
that i would love to see

just hand them over to stig and we will know who is the king of this segment!
Old 10-24-07, 11:49 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

ive read somewhere before that Clarkson is actually very excited that Lexus decided to enter this segment and wants to try the IS-F badly
Old 10-24-07, 12:09 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Car & Driver: "At leisure speeds, the air is hushed, Lexus-like, with just a distant snort from the engine and the extra thrum of the fat summer Michelins disturbing the peace. Given the low profile of the rubber mounted to the 19-inch forged aluminum rims, the ride is tightly controlled but commendably mellow. The ride-and-handling balance is perhaps the IS F’s biggest achievement. It makes allowances for road fissures and drops the body into holes with cushioned lurches."

Funny how the old guy at Edmunds complains about the ride (the second opinion counters it though) but C&D gives it the highest praise.
Old 10-24-07, 12:25 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
ive read somewhere before that Clarkson is actually very excited that Lexus decided to enter this segment and wants to try the IS-F badly
Yes, he said seeing the IS-F vs the M3 was something he truly was looking forward too.

Old 10-24-07, 01:18 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The IS-F has a 54/46 weight distribution compared to the M3's 50/50.. The Clark Kent cars are similar in weight distribution... Is350 has a 54/46 split & the 335 has 50/50 split. The 335 is a better dancer. Just curious how this will translate in the super saloon comparo.

P.S. Top Gear needs to start the filming now... I am dying to see this
Old 10-24-07, 03:03 PM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RXSF
overall im pretty satisfied with the results. car and driver got 4.2 seconds...?
I know, I was going to say. That is way better than I expected, but I
guess C&D is pretty hardcore. Either that or they are fudging the numbers
to sound macho...
Old 10-24-07, 03:28 PM
Badman Forever
Lead Lap

Subtract the $1000 moonroof and you may be looking at a $58,900 starting price!

BTW, from our past experiences w/ stock IS350s doing 13.5-13.7 in the 1/4 and n/a modded IS350s doing 13.0-13.4.. I can forsee n/a modded IS-Fs doing low 12s easily. Maybe even highly n/a modded and super lightened IS-Fs can do high 11s in nice cold weather w/ lower elevation? I guess we shall wait and see.
Old 10-24-07, 03:53 PM
xioix
Racer

Originally Posted by marshmallo
I know, I was going to say. That is way better than I expected, but I
guess C&D is pretty hardcore. Either that or they are fudging the numbers
to sound macho...
When C&D got 5.1 for the IS350 no one could believe it too, but when owners started to get the 1/4 mile times the same or better, then it was more believable, but when MT got 4.9 for the IS350 that was a big shocker
Old 10-24-07, 05:39 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
So far I have enjoyed all of the articles except the one from Automobile. They start the article by saying how much they love the car, how fun it is to drive on a track, and how involving and spirited it is...

...then turn around and say that because it doesn't have the history of an M car or Audi RS it is "one sided"? Really this is such a moot point that I am rather surprised to hear it coming from Automobile. Because there haven't 3-4 IS-F's in the past, and because the engine isn't built alongside Toyota's F1 vehicles, it's worthless? Because I am pretty sure you opened the article saying how much of a track monster it was and how it put a huge grin on your face and you didn't want to get out, and THAT is the point of these vehicles.
The Automobile article was incoherent and that paragraph about "heritage" was highly inaccurate. As far as I can remember, the car was developed at Fuji, in conjunction with the Technical center there that builds all of Toyota's F1 engines. Yes the same ones that helped develop the UR engine in the first place. In any case, it is still a moot point.

Quick Reply: C&D, Edmunds, MT Test: Lexus IS-F (RS4 vs. IS-F Comparo)