Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

C&D, Edmunds, MT Test: Lexus IS-F (RS4 vs. IS-F Comparo)

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-07, 04:31 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Ramon
I can't say I agree... Yes, they all have aggressive kits... No, they don't look boy racerish. With the exception of the IS-F that is. Just my opinion.
I am not disagreeing with you either. Lets go back in time....
Early M/AMG etc cars= SUPER boy racer. Huge wings, huge air dams, side skirts etc...
Around the late 90s and into the 2000s, well, "understated" came in with super sedans. Lip wings, intergrated fogs, etc...

Today all the AMG/RS/M/F cars have the usual giant brakes, wheels, kits etc. I think the IS-F is the most glaring.

Which is a good thing! This is the anti-Lexus. I've said it before, it NEEDS to be very different.

Honestly, I think the IS-F and M3 are equal when it comes to cartoonish looks.

Old 10-25-07, 04:38 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen

youre gonna need to spend big bucks to get the new M3, if the old M3 costed 55k base before the dealer option loading, and with the 335 at 46-48k for decent options the new M3 isnt going to be anywhere near the old price. Using the % premium the UK M3 price has over the UK M3 and a quick calculation with the US 335, it isnt crazy to see the new M3 costing 65k base
Sorry, but the 2006 E46 M3 had a base sticker of $49,800 and you can walk out with a 335 with decent options for less than 46-48k. The only option imo that is a worthy option on the 335 would be the sport package, and one will be under the 46-48k mark if they so desire.
Old 10-25-07, 04:49 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

Honestly, I think the IS-F and M3 are equal when it comes to cartoonish looks.
Nah... Don't think so. The M3 looks like a brute that you can toss around.. All subjective I guess... Lets see

Old 10-25-07, 05:16 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The IS-F in pictures and the IS-F in the metal are two different things.

In person the car is stunning IMO, and I was rather skeptical before.
Old 10-25-07, 05:50 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Here we go again. At first, a few years ago everybody asked about when Lexus gonna make a true performance car beside the L-Tuned version which is a joke. Seem like everybody wants an M3, AMG or a go fast car from Lexus. Here we got it, a first attempt from Lexus, a new born to going up against the 4th or 5th generation of the M and AMG.

Now, we got a car which we don't know the real price and the options or it's just a fully loaded only, yet. But it's too expensive, not enough HP, boy racer, cheesy and so on...

If it got 20 hp more I will buy it.

If the exhaust is build into the bumper that would be nice, but it still cheesy,,,,oh and I don't want to pay more for part and labor if my exhaust is messed up or the bumper is bend because I bottom it out....

It's not gonna cut it for me because the suspension is too stiff and not for everyday driven...( get an LS) and I alway complaint that Lexus has the soft suspension. Now, I can complaint that the IS-F don't have the adjustable suspension...

My solution is, Lexus need to make a high performance car that put out 1000 hp, carry 5 people, handle like an F1 car, comfort like a magic carpet and cost no more than $30K...lol... Go figure...
Old 10-25-07, 05:58 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 127 Likes on 68 Posts

m3 coupe vs. is-f sedan = apples to oranges

compare an m3 sedan (heavier) vs. an is-f in looks, performance, etc.

now that would be apples to apples
Old 10-25-07, 08:37 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

The only thing I really hate about the IS-F is the bulging hood. Looks like the Camry's hood to be honest. I'm not quite fond of it, but then that's just me. I prefer a normal hood
Old 10-25-07, 08:43 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

Originally Posted by JessePS
One thing the Winding Road video of the IS-F is amazing. Lexus should use it for their commercial

Video

One thing to bad Lexus did not figure out how to get the logo not to move while the car is moving.
Great video. I don't think the car is a real looker but the drivetrain seems amazing - those shifts are super quick and the automatic throttle blip on paddle downshifts is AWESOME.
Old 10-25-07, 08:51 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

Originally Posted by VVT-i
Here we go again. At first, a few years ago everybody asked about when Lexus gonna make a true performance car beside the L-Tuned version which is a joke. Seem like everybody wants an M3, AMG or a go fast car from Lexus. Here we got it, a first attempt from Lexus, a new born to going up against the 4th or 5th generation of the M and AMG.

Now, we got a car which we don't know the real price and the options or it's just a fully loaded only, yet. But it's too expensive, not enough HP, boy racer, cheesy and so on...

If it got 20 hp more I will buy it.

If the exhaust is build into the bumper that would be nice, but it still cheesy,,,,oh and I don't want to pay more for part and labor if my exhaust is messed up or the bumper is bend because I bottom it out....

It's not gonna cut it for me because the suspension is too stiff and not for everyday driven...( get an LS) and I alway complaint that Lexus has the soft suspension. Now, I can complaint that the IS-F don't have the adjustable suspension...

My solution is, Lexus need to make a high performance car that put out 1000 hp, carry 5 people, handle like an F1 car, comfort like a magic carpet and cost no more than $30K...lol... Go figure...
lol - hey bud, great post!

All this pissing back and forth about which will be less expensive or more powerful is pretty silly. Neither the M3 or IS-F is gonna be cheap OUT THE DOOR (base prices on web sites and reviews are irrelevant!).

As you say, Lexus is doing what many wanted and what many critics said they wouldn't. And of course the LF-A is coming too, which BMW has nothing to counter with and MB only has the SLR, an insanely expensive vehicle.
Old 10-25-07, 09:55 PM
2SwiFt29
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is this going to be in the December issue magazines? for all C&D, MT, and Automobile?
Old 10-26-07, 01:54 AM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Well, I had high hopes for the IS-F with speculating prices soaring in the $60K's. The Performance - its good but not not great.. I say screw this - I'm getting a IS350 loaded out at $42K and get a Tom's Hyper Charger rated after install at 353 RWHP for $8000K and then customize the car how i see fit.. Gonna be cheaper and faster than the ISF..

Heres the Link to the Tom's Supercharger for the 350.. http://www.tomsracing.co.jp/e/comp/l...13600-tge.html
Old 10-26-07, 06:20 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

the thing is the 8 speed is specifically designed to handle engine power from an engine like the IS-F. Who knows if the 6 speed can handle a power gain from a supercharger. IS350 supercharge wont have 8 gears, wont have .1 sec shift speeds, I doubt you can match the speed if you get an IS350 to IS-F power. You would have to overwhelm these disadvantages with more engine power, which rolls back to if the tranny and other components can handle it. The shift speeds in the 350 are 6x slower (stated in the F press release) than the F, so 600ms. Nor will you have the entire performance package of the IS-F under warranty
Old 10-26-07, 06:39 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ST430
m3 coupe vs. is-f sedan = apples to oranges

compare an m3 sedan (heavier) vs. an is-f in looks, performance, etc.

now that would be apples to apples
Oh, sorry old buddy.. Lets compare apples to apples then

The same performance hype was touted by the magazines when the GS400 debuted. Lets hope that it is not deja vu with this new car..I truly want to be a believer in regards to this Is-F but I believe this is just the honeymoon. The track comparos from Top Gear will speak for itself .
Old 10-26-07, 06:53 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Quite honestly, ride quality is the one thing that I was very concerned about. Somehow I knew that they wouldn't be able to put together sharp handling and a smooth ride together in the same car. Every previous attempt has included vague handling and a smooth ride, or a choppy ride and great handling. I guess you cannot have it all,
BMW, traditionally, combines ride and handling better than perhaps any other manufacturer. They may have their faults in the styling and I-Drive departments, but BMW engineers seen to have a magic touch for steering and suspension that virtually no other manufacturer can match, at least in the non-Active steering models.
Old 10-26-07, 06:58 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Though I haven't received any specific review requests for it (yet), I can see there is a huge amount of interest (not surprisingly) in this car on CL. Each holiday season I do a special review on an out-of-the ordinary car. I might (?) do the IS-F for you guys this year, if it is available in my area come December......presently it is due out sometime in the next few months. Of course, I won't be able to drive it quite to full max on a track like these guys did....but you'll get my usual detailed explanation inside and out.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-26-07 at 07:03 AM.

Quick Reply: C&D, Edmunds, MT Test: Lexus IS-F (RS4 vs. IS-F Comparo)