Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

C&D, Edmunds, MT Test: Lexus IS-F (RS4 vs. IS-F Comparo)

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-07, 03:40 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know why people have such a hard time remembering but here it is again for everyone....
C&D adjusts for altitude and temp so their 0-60 and quarter mile numbers are as close as possible for comparison purposes.

So if the others tested on a hotter or more humid day, their times are slower. Many IS-F drivers will NOT get C&D's numbers - they just live too high up or in too hot of a climate - others will because of the temp and humidity they run in.

* I know they adjust for sea level, but not sure what humidity they adjust to.
Old 10-26-07, 03:58 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 1QWKGS4
Well, I had high hopes for the IS-F with speculating prices soaring in the $60K's. The Performance - its good but not not great.. I say screw this - I'm getting a IS350 loaded out at $42K and get a Tom's Hyper Charger rated after install at 353 RWHP for $8000K and then customize the car how i see fit.. Gonna be cheaper and faster than the ISF..

Heres the Link to the Tom's Supercharger for the 350.. http://www.tomsracing.co.jp/e/comp/l...13600-tge.html
It's funny that I know you're gonna post in here at some point... It's a deja vu when Lexus launch the 06 GS and the IS350...

So, you're spending $42K on car and $8k on supercharge,but you forget the bigger brakes upgrade, the tighter suspension, the transmission and oil cooler and so on...After all those add on you're a well over $60K without warranty and you're still driving the IS350 not the IS-F, don't get me wrong I'm driving the IS350 too.)
Old 10-26-07, 07:12 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by VVT-i
It's funny that I know you're gonna post in here at some point... It's a deja vu when Lexus launch the 06 GS and the IS350...

So, you're spending $42K on car and $8k on supercharge,but you forget the bigger brakes upgrade, the tighter suspension, the transmission and oil cooler and so on...After all those add on you're a well over $60K without warranty and you're still driving the IS350 not the IS-F, don't get me wrong I'm driving the IS350 too.)
Not to mention while you can slap a s/c or turbo or chip a car, the IS-F (like AMG/M etc) was tested on tracks around the world and top engineers tested the car countless hours to get it right.

Instead of adding TRD sways, coils, rims, BBK etc and not even sure if it helps (butt feeling meter) we KNOW the IS-F was built to be the baddest Lexus out from day #1.

Nuum, I can't wait for this car and I'll be calling Jack when you get some.

Old 10-26-07, 08:34 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by VVT-i

HAHAHA - Nuum, you know me too well.. LOL I'm not knocking the ISF - just listing alternative solutions.. I can't argue with you because you are right.. I just wish the ISF was alittle more powerful and a bit faster..
Old 10-27-07, 06:16 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Gee 3 different car magazines had 3 different 0-60 times.. What is really the 0-60 time?
Old 10-27-07, 06:25 AM
PetesLS400
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Ramon
Bummer, I was really hoping the IS-F would break into the 12's.

Trapping 111mph is well into the 12's, just need a good 60' launch.

Magazine articles are a good baseline but not the final result.
Old 10-27-07, 06:39 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by tmf2004
Gee 3 different car magazines had 3 different 0-60 times.. What is really the 0-60 time?
0-60 times depend on a number of factors......air temperatire/pressure/humidity, tire type/rubbertemperatire/condition, type and condition of the road surface, amount of load in the car, skill of the driver and how willing the driver is to abuse the drivetrain, wind direction and speed, slant of the road surface uphill or downhill, mechanical condition of the car before or after break-in, brand and octane of gas being used, synthetic vs. non-synthetic oil..........many different factors. That's why runs are often made in both directions and the best times averaged out.
Old 10-27-07, 12:22 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
0-60 times depend on a number of factors......air temperatire/pressure/humidity, tire type/rubbertemperatire/condition, type and condition of the road surface, amount of load in the car, skill of the driver and how willing the driver is to abuse the drivetrain, wind direction and speed, slant of the road surface uphill or downhill, mechanical condition of the car before or after break-in, brand and octane of gas being used, synthetic vs. non-synthetic oil..........many different factors. That's why runs are often made in both directions and the best times averaged out.
Thanks for clearing that up mmarshall.. Thought maybe some magazines where in competition with one another.. But yes air temp, humidity are all important factors in 0-60 times.. I still think this put Lexus above or close to the top of the car chain...
Old 10-27-07, 02:38 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

I don't understand what some of you are complaining about. These reviews have been pretty great and the performance times are really good. They're even better than the times I was expecting, and I had optimistic expectations.

This isn't just the fastest Lexus ever; it's the fastest production vehicle Toyota has ever made period. 0 - 60 in 4.2s? 1/4 mile in 12.7s? Amazing braking and skidpad grip over 0.9g? Those times are good enough to keep up with a Corvette, pretty amazing.

The transmission seems to be positively great and the fuel mileage is pretty amazing given the performance and weight of this vehicle.

Sure there are some flaws, but considering this is the first serious performance effort from Lexus, I'd say they did really well for their first F vehicle.
Old 10-27-07, 03:46 PM
xioix
Racer

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
I don't understand what some of you are complaining about. These reviews have been pretty great and the performance times are really good. They're even better than the times I was expecting, and I had optimistic expectations.

This isn't just the fastest Lexus ever; it's the fastest production vehicle Toyota has ever made period. 0 - 60 in 4.2s? 1/4 mile in 12.7s? Amazing braking and skidpad grip over 0.9g? Those times are good enough to keep up with a Corvette, pretty amazing.

The transmission seems to be positively great and the fuel mileage is pretty amazing given the performance and weight of this vehicle.

Sure there are some flaws, but considering this is the first serious performance effort from Lexus, I'd say they did really well for their first F vehicle.
I believe the limited production Toyota GT-One is still the fastest Toyota ever
Old 10-28-07, 11:21 AM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice, I want to drive one and see how the steering feedback really is, rather than listen to a bunch of reviewers.
Old 10-28-07, 01:21 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tmf2004
Even though 0-60 matters for little more than bragging rights ( a race of any sort is never definitively won by getting to 60mph), the 0-60 is whatever you're able to make it do. Average driver probably nails 6.0 seconds
Old 10-28-07, 02:04 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by xioix
I believe the limited production Toyota GT-One is still the fastest Toyota ever
The GT-One? You mean Toyota's Le Mans contender? I don't think that was exactly a "production car".
Old 10-28-07, 04:25 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

The GT-One? You mean Toyota's Le Mans contender? I don't think that was exactly a "production car".
Technically it was
Old 10-28-07, 05:28 PM
xioix
Racer

In order to compete it had to be a road produced legal car, and Toyota made like 3, one for crash test, and two are in museums

Quick Reply: C&D, Edmunds, MT Test: Lexus IS-F (RS4 vs. IS-F Comparo)